Union Card Bill Bringing on Bullies?

Needs to be fixed then, doesn't help anyone. A union should make sure its member receives due process but it shouldn't obstruct a fair and reasonable dismissal.
it hasnt been that way for over 40 years in this country
thats why people complain about the unions
they try to control everything in the company
and when they are not the ones putting anything at risk in the company, they are overstepping their bounds

I did a collective bargaining course in Austin a few years ago. The central point was that the employer's interests do coincide at one point with the employee's interests - this was part of the session where the financial disclosures were on teh table - it was that there is no interest in the employees forcing the company out of business.
but in too many cases they think they know better how to run the business than the business owners

that dont work

it hasnt been that way for over 40 years in this country
thats why people complain about the unions
they try to control everything in the company
and when they are not the ones putting anything at risk in the company, they are overstepping their bounds

I did a collective bargaining course in Austin a few years ago. The central point was that the employer's interests do coincide at one point with the employee's interests - this was part of the session where the financial disclosures were on teh table - it was that there is no interest in the employees forcing the company out of business.
but in too many cases they think they know better how to run the business than the business owners

that dont work

That can happen with company unions, the frustrated would-be executive finds an outlet in the union. In a trade union...uh-oh I just remembered something. Your unions go across industries don't they? I don't see how that can be a good thing.

that dont work

That can happen with company unions, the frustrated would-be executive finds an outlet in the union. In a trade union...uh-oh I just remembered something. Your unions go across industries don't they? I don't see how that can be a good thing.
some do, some dont
the last full union shop i worked at had 3 different unions

that dont work

some do, some dont

I worked at a steel mill for a while when I left school. Each trade had its own union there. There was no "steelworkers" union as such. The main union (back then) was the Federated Ironworkers (which is now part of the amalgamated AMWU) in the work place but the electricians who worked on machinery in the rolling mill were part of the ETU, for example. Demarcation was a big issue back then, it's not so now because the modernisation of our industrial relations system (led by the union movement) got rid of the petty squabbles between the trades. You know, if you're in the Ironworkers and you nail two pieces of wood together you'd have the bloody chippies down on you. Not now. But the trades unions still operate to cover the various trades and the idea of our equivalent of the Teamsters (the Transport Workers Union) representing someone not pushing trucks is alien to us.

But of course, as always, to each their own.

some do, some dont

I worked at a steel mill for a while when I left school. Each trade had its own union there. There was no "steelworkers" union as such. The main union (back then) was the Federated Ironworkers (which is now part of the amalgamated AMWU) in the work place but the electricians who worked on machinery in the rolling mill were part of the ETU, for example. Demarcation was a big issue back then, it's not so now because the modernisation of our industrial relations system (led by the union movement) got rid of the petty squabbles between the trades. You know, if you're in the Ironworkers and you nail two pieces of wood together you'd have the bloody chippies down on you. Not now. But the trades unions still operate to cover the various trades and the idea of our equivalent of the Teamsters (the Transport Workers Union) representing someone not pushing trucks is alien to us.

But of course, as always, to each their own.
yeah, it was like that here too

i never experienced it, but one guy i worked with told me about a place he worked at that was so bad they had unions for everything from sweeping the floors to lubrication
if you needed to have a machine oiled or greased you had to call one of those guys
and wait till they got there
i wouldnt have lasted in a place like that cause i would have got a grease gun and done it myself and likely got fired
LOL

Good point, Thanatos. And therein lies the $24,000 question, that being, at what point do we force unions out of the companies they are destroying and let America get back on its feet and hobbling towards recovery?

Why isn't the UAW being thrown out of the companies its crippled, ie: GM, Chrysler, Ford?? Why arent all former union contracts ripped up as we go into restructuring each of these companies?

Why? Because unions have roots and fingers deep in the US Govn and politicians pockets and they wont allow it to happen.

Good point, Thanatos. And therein lies the $24,000 question, that being, at what point do we force unions out of the companies they are destroying and let America get back on its feet and hobbling towards recovery?
Already largely a done deal, RoC.

How it working out for us?

Why isn't the UAW being thrown out of the companies its crippled, ie: GM, Chrysler, Ford?? Why arent all former union contracts ripped up as we go into restructuring each of these companies?

Soon to happen.

Why? Because unions have roots and fingers deep in the US Govn and politicians pockets and they wont allow it to happen.

Not deeply enough to have prevented FREE TRADE which was the real death blow to American unions.

I'll ask again, how is all this working out for us?

The day unions are forcibly removed from any and all companies will be the day that America takes its first step towards recovery. I am sick of corruption and lousy quality that unions have brought into this country.

Not hardly edit Unions have been dying since the fifties. YOur average union worker now is a white collar government employee who seldom hast ot wash his hands because he doean't get them dirty.

UAW is gong to die one way or the other anyway.

Card Check Process Used by Union Organizers Ignites Fury at Indiana Plant

Union organizers are going to great lengths to establish a union in a workplace -- including harassing and intimidating company employees until they sign a card.

That the accusations from some workers at the Dana Corporation Auto Parts plant in Albion, Ind.

The Employee Free Choice Act -- known as the "card check" bill pending in Congress -- calls for an easier system to allow employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations. Under the bill, employees can request blank cards from an existing union and request signatures on the card from employees. The legislation allows the company to hold a secret ballot election to decide unionization if 30 percent of employees sign the cards.

Though the bill is still pending, some companies like the Dana Corporation have already begun using the card check process. Union organizers came to the plant two years ago to ask employees to sign a card and join the United Auto Workers -- an effort that was permitted because the company signed a neutrality agreement with the union.

Card Check Process Used by Union Organizers Ignites Fury at Indiana Plant - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

What? Leftists usurping the just rights of individuals to promote the false rights of the collective?

SAY IT AINT SO!

Forum List

Back