Unexpected unemployment rise

saveliberty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
U.S. jobless, price data fan concerns on economy - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The number of U.S. workers filing new applications for unemployment insurance unexpectedly surged last week, while producer prices increased sharply in January, raising potential hurdles for the economy's recovery.

Initial claims for state jobless benefits increased 31,000 to 473,000, the Labor Department said on Thursday. Financial markets had expected them to fall slightly.

Another report from the department showed prices paid at the farm and factory gate rose a faster-than-expected 1.4 percent from December as higher gasoline prices and unusually cold temperatures helped boost energy costs.

The PPI report may fan worries about inflation pressures, which have largely been contained by excess capacity at factories and a weak labor market.

"The bottom line is that the Fed is going to have some decisions to make at its next meeting, since it seems inflation is now back on the table," said Alan Lancz, president at Alan B. Lancz & Associates Inc in Toledo, Ohio

Unemployment is always unexpected and cold is always unusual. Funny how that works. Inflation is the other shoe about to drop.

Obama sets up deficit panel without help from Hill - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama signed an order Thursday unilaterally creating a bipartisan commission to rein in unruly deficits after Congress rejected a similar body with considerably more enforcement power.

In making the announcement, Obama said that unless lawmakers put aside partisan differences, the continuing red-ink trend could "hobble our economy."

The federal deficit hit a record $1.4 trillion last year and could grow larger this year as the struggling economy puts a big dent in tax collections.

"It will cloud our future and it will saddle every child in America with an intolerable burden," he said before signing an executive order establishing the commission.

First recommendation of the panel:

Mr. President, grow a spine. By not signing budget bills with pork and excessive spending, Congress will be forced to change by your own hand.

Wait, how can this be? The economy was fixed by the stimulas and the recession is over (or so I have heard over the last few days).

-TSO

In this case, they referenced that the financial markets found the rise unexpected. I suspect it was more than just htem, but it seems the general public is not surprised in the least.

Wait, how can this be? The economy was fixed by the stimulas and the recession is over (or so I have heard over the last few days).

-TSO

LOL...that's all we've been hearing. You'd think the dopes would have learned from Kerry. No matter how many times you say it's true...it just isn't.

Im pretty sure everything is a surprise to the MSM and the Obama regime.
What will they do when the stimulus bubble pops?

Obama sets up deficit panel without help from Hill - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama signed an order Thursday unilaterally creating a bipartisan commission to rein in unruly deficits after Congress rejected a similar body with considerably more enforcement power.

In making the announcement, Obama said that unless lawmakers put aside partisan differences, the continuing red-ink trend could "hobble our economy."

The problem isnt partisanship here. Both parties are spending money like crazy. It's a bipartisan effort to destroy this country.

obama-road-to-recovery.jpg

you mean it goes up and down and that is unexpected?

It wasn't "unexpected" to me...

I expected the numbers to rise... I also expected the previously announced numbers to be adjusted upwards...

But Barry says he saved 600 bajillion jobs this past year, so I guess everything's just hunky dory...

So did I. But then we aren't "experts"

Unexpected to whom?

Certainly not those of us running businesses on Maint St. USA.

Damn fools following the liberal mandate into proverty!

Mike

Anyone with an IQ above 30 realizes that the 2 million jobs created, or saved...(I just love the or saved rhetoric) is nothing but a big spin from this administration. barry still can't take responsibilty for anything but the war in Iraq, and has to make up a lie to protect his fragile ego.
With all the money that has been stuffed into the the pockets of his campaign buddies, you would think you would be seeing a steady trend of positive employment numbers. Instead what we get is up and down from week to week, and a steady rise of unemployed that are running out of benefits.

As the economic picture turns around, more discouraged individuals will start back actively seeking employment, increasing the size of the labor pool and therefore increasing unemployment in the short run. Not really all that shocking.

Anyone with an IQ above 30 realizes that the 2 million jobs created, or saved...(I just love the or saved rhetoric) is nothing but a big spin from this administration. barry still can't take responsibilty for anything but the war in Iraq, and has to make up a lie to protect his fragile ego.
With all the money that has been stuffed into the the pockets of his campaign buddies, you would think you would be seeing a steady trend of positive employment numbers. Instead what we get is up and down from week to week, and a steady rise of unemployed that are running out of benefits.

You're right. It's all a big lie. You know all those professional forecasters who have to sell their analysis of the economic outlook to businesses? They're all in on the lie too, since they're saying the same thing.

U.S. jobless, price data fan concerns on economy - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The number of U.S. workers filing new applications for unemployment insurance unexpectedly surged last week, while producer prices increased sharply in January, raising potential hurdles for the economy's recovery.

Initial claims for state jobless benefits increased 31,000 to 473,000, the Labor Department said on Thursday. Financial markets had expected them to fall slightly.

Another report from the department showed prices paid at the farm and factory gate rose a faster-than-expected 1.4 percent from December as higher gasoline prices and unusually cold temperatures helped boost energy costs.

The PPI report may fan worries about inflation pressures, which have largely been contained by excess capacity at factories and a weak labor market.

"The bottom line is that the Fed is going to have some decisions to make at its next meeting, since it seems inflation is now back on the table," said Alan Lancz, president at Alan B. Lancz & Associates Inc in Toledo, Ohio

Unemployment is always unexpected and cold is always unusual. Funny how that works. Inflation is the other shoe about to drop.

Yeah it wasn't unexpected to people with a basic knowledge of economics and acess to what our legislative and executive branches have been doing.

You're right. It's all a big lie. You know all those professional forecasters who have to sell their analysis of the economic outlook to businesses? They're all in on the lie too, since they're saying the same thing.

Tell me polk, what professional forecasters? The ones on the administrations payroll?
When did "jobs saved" become the jingle on Capital Hill?
Please show me where the jobs have been created, your a self proclaimed smart man...tell all of us where the jobs are, polk? After 787 billion plus...we should see some jobs....right now

Forum List

Back