Unemployment Funding: Which Is The Party of No?

Hey Jay...

Congratulations. Team Canada certainly earned that medal. They are an outstanding team.

Well done with the olympics as well. Despite the weather not cooperating, I found them to be one of the more enjoyable ones to watch in a while.

Thanx......the U.S played a hell of a game right down to the wire.

Hey Jay...

Congratulations. Team Canada certainly earned that medal. They are an outstanding team.

Well done with the olympics as well. Despite the weather not cooperating, I found them to be one of the more enjoyable ones to watch in a while.

Your HABS are going down to the Bruins tonight :D :eusa_pray:

:lol:

Hey Jay...

As much as I wanted the US to win, I felt no remorse at the end of the game...it was by far the most exciting hockey game I ever watched....and the better team won....THIS TIME.

My wife cried at the end when they were showing the crowd shots....so many Canadians showing tears of joy...it was very touching.

Now..back to business......You are a dickhead.....:eusa_whistle:

Hey Jay...

As much as I wanted the US to win, I felt no remorse at the end of the game...it was by far the most exciting hockey game I ever watched....and the better team won....THIS TIME.

My wife cried at the end when they were showing the crowd shots....so many Canadians showing tears of joy...it was very touching.

Now..back to business......You are a dickhead.....:eusa_whistle:

you should watch some NHL hockey if you liked the olympics. Thats what most games look like....it was refreshing to see it go from Olympic style to NHL style (minus fights and icing touch ups)

This Senator Bunning should resign for his own good. People are hurting, and he wants to block funding, talk about political suicide for the Republican party.!!

Let's try this again.

The democrats refused to pay for it by using stimulus money. Instead they wanted to add it to the credit card.

Thus, the democrats blocked it.

Why are people having so much trouble understanding this?

Paygo was agreed upon and touted as a must by democrats....what is it...something only used when it is convenient?

The democrats will have to tell their special interests that they will not be able to research the sex drive of the albino moose...that money is required to put food in the stomachs of some of America's children.

You do realize.......the albino moose sex drive is more important than american's hungry to the democrats....????

For liberals it's not really about issues, it's about political points.

I don't know...how much does he need?

40 Senators.

I say offer to pay for it with a comparable cut in farm subsidies, and see who howls loudest.

Let's see if I have this right. YOU don't believe in PAYGO?

I wholeheartedly support PAYGO. Things like farm subsidies are ideal targets to pay for something like this.

Ideally, I would support putting a tariff on some sort of imports to pay for this.

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
3210sb.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Bunning blocks benefits for millions[/SIZE]
How can one GOP senator have so much power while
58 Democrats (the majority) are totally helpless?

Link Excerpt:
We have a new poster boy for the Going Rogue playbook: Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Insane). For the past week, Bunning has been single-handedly blocking more than a million Americans from receiving unemployment and COBRA health insurance benefits, as of today, when their benefits funded under the 2009 stimulus law run out. The suspension of benefits affects everyone from doctors to government employees. Since cutting health and unemployment benefits isn't the most popular thing to do in a job-starved recession, the Senate had reached near unanimity on extending these programs. But near-unanimous isn't enough when senators are looking to stretch out the lifespan of benefits about to lapse - they need unanimous consent. And that requirement has delivered a great deal of power into Bunning's hands -- power that has allowed him to block the extension until the Senate find $10.3 billion in spending cuts elsewhere to fund the safety-net spending."I believe we should pay for it," Bunning said. "But tax cut money we borrow from the Saudis."
"Fuck the poor if they don't have supper."

"If you've got 51 votes for your position, you win."
-- Rethug Judd Gregg, explaining the senate rules under Bush in 2005, Link
"It would really be the end of the Senate as a protector of minority rights..."
-- Lamar Alexander (R-Lumberjack) explaining senate rules under Democratic rule, Link

i dont think it is a clear right left and democrat-republican issue.

I think though it does help to understand most of the democrats vs the republicans in terms of education and background. I would be interested to see numbers as to most of their childhood socio-economic backgrounds. This goes beyond simply bush vs obama.

What I find with most democrats and liberals is they are intelligent, go to excellent universities, but they fail to see the commonsense and review the data.

Ivy league education is great - take olberman, cornell guy, very smart but is a guy who went to prep schools all the way up and comes from a fairly affluent background. O'Reilly while I disagree withi his candor most of the time, is middle class, worked his way up, then attended an ivy league school while teaching in public schools. He has more real world exposure than olberman - this is simply one example.

But where you stand depends on where you sit, on issues. I come from a low middle class back ground, single parent, and payed my way through college at a State University because I couldn't afford a school like NYU or Carnegie Mellon. I picked a major that would enable me to get a job and be consistently employed on my own accord and got a solid paying consulting position out of school to help repay the debt I acrrued. I didn't whine and cry like many others did, I knew I needed to educate myself rather than rely on the govt. Most fiscal conservatives, who understand the economics, are that way because they see first hand the waste in our neighborhoods and schools. Throwing money at schools does nothing whens students in catholic schools outperform their public school counterparts (of which I am one), despite receiving far less $ per student, mainly because the teachers can teach and the parents care. At the root of all of this mess is accountability whether it is personal, local, state, or federal. Those that got houses they couldn't afford are guilty, and the govt on both sides enabled it. "We didn't know any better" is the same excuse cig execs used and mothers smoking up used up till the 70's to justify their lack of self control - here its just an excess fed doing it without us holding them accountable, when someone does, we decry them as a monster.

I don't mean to oversimplify this issue because republicans have butchered this as well under bush - but the reality is we need to cut our spending immediately and reign in all spending that doesn't generate a useful return. We need to first focus on energy since it is at the root of our entire economy, not from a green position, but price fluctuations create extreme volitility. Focus on this and the education to support, create a new infrastructure with new reactors, new cars, new fueling stations, that generate the ROI, mandate 35-40mpg cars that will drive new manufacturing and engineering standards. A lot of other elements will fall in line. It isn't the free market that sorts things out, it is basic human nature to do what is in their own best interest. We are acting against our own interests at the moment because we want our politicians to take care of things for us and the govt to handle it. They harldy have been up to this task throughout history - why do we think they will be now?

40 Senators.

I say offer to pay for it with a comparable cut in farm subsidies, and see who howls loudest.

I wholeheartedly support PAYGO. Things like farm subsidies are ideal targets to pay for something like this.

Ideally, I would support putting a tariff on some sort of imports to pay for this.

So..did you call your senators and suggest that? It's time for people to become proactive.

This Senator Bunning should resign for his own good. People are hurting, and he wants to block funding, talk about political suicide for the Republican party.!!

Bunning does want it funded.
The democrats don't want it funded, they want to put it on credit. Can you differentiate the difference?

Didn't Bunning vote against PAYGO?

What does it matter? It's the law now. And didn't Reid vote FOR PAYGO?

Can someone explain to me why it's a bad idea to have the money to pay for this extension first, rather than just signing it without any funding in place? Please explain to me why they can't take $10billion from the stimuless money and use it for this.

Can someone explain to me why it's a bad idea to have the money to pay for this extension first, rather than just signing it without any funding in place? Please explain to me why they can't take $10billion from the stimuless money and use it for this.

Ummmm, well there is the....no that won't work. How about the....no, not that one either.

Oh yeah......I got it....it's for the children. That is always a good generic answer that eveyone is afraid to argue with. There....that's the answer.

I couldn't figure that one out, which is why I posted the OP. LOL! Yet, he's had at least two bomb threats, for the 'oh so liberals'. Of course the GOP is on his case too, as wouldn't want to highlight WHY he is voting no.

Granted he's not the nicest guy in town, but on this he's right.

40 Senators.

What is wrong with stimulus funds that are going unspent?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Vel

I couldn't figure that one out, which is why I posted the OP. LOL! Yet, he's had at least two bomb threats, for the 'oh so liberals'. Of course the GOP is on his case too, as wouldn't want to highlight WHY he is voting no.

Granted he's not the nicest guy in town, but on this he's right.

I agree. I can't believe people are mad at a congrescritter who actually wants to FUND things without more debt spending.

We all have to sacrifice our standard of living somewhat to fix the problem we let the government create.....and people want to hang the first government official who actually does something about it. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back