Unemployment Funding: Which Is The Party of No?

Labor Department says 400,000 will lose unemployment benefits in coming weeks if Congress doesn't act Anderson Independent Mail

By May, nearly 3 million people could be left without these benefits. If the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act subsidy under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is not extended, thousands of families will lose access to affordable health care, according to the statement.

If the extension is not approved, an estimated 500,000 workers who lose their jobs will be ineligible for subsidies to cover the cost of health care over this month. Over the rest of 2010, an estimated 5 million workers will be ineligible for the Recovery Act COBRA subsidy that covers 65 percent of the cost of coverage. Without this assistance, many of these families will be forced to join the ranks of the uninsured.

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill to temporarily extend benefits — including unemployment insurance. In the Senate, however, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky is blocking the extension. Senate leadership has called for the Senate to unanimously move this package on multiple occasions, Sen. Bunning has blocked the process each time.

------------------------------------

To those on the right, good news travels fast.

Look. If you want this to end and have the benefits extended, call your senators and tell them to grow up, follow PAYGO and give up the money they have squeezed in their fists and pay for the fucking bill. They'll have to raise their own re-election cash.

Last edited:
This is an example of the typical "go with what is convenient" attitude.

Paygo was a great idea supported by the democrats and the republicans when it was the popular thing to do. Now that it is not popular to follow paygo, the dems and the majority of the GOP want to ignore it.

Bunning is not worried about his popularity as he is done with public office...so he does not need to do what is convenient and popular.....it does not make him a man of conviction...it simply makes him LOOK like a man of conviction..

But the fact that the Dems and the GOP are willing to ignore paygo should make it clear to all of us that congress needs to be completely turned upside down.

They are killing us thanks to their own selfish political aspirations.

This Obama is a piece of Sh1t... He flat out tells you one thing and then does the exact opposite...

It's impressive how posters here have been very happy to make Bunning out to be a monster who hates poor unemployed people. In fact, all he asked was that they do exactly what they are supposed to do. Fund it to spend it. Not rocket science, but apparently still above the intellectual pay grade of some on the left.

I agree, we have to fund it before we spend it as responsible American citizens, seems to me that since the stimulus money is nothing more than a slush fund why not use this to further extend unemployment benefits.

What ever happened to the concept of pay-go, I have not heard it for awhile.:lol:

It's impressive how posters here have been very happy to make Bunning out to be a monster who hates poor unemployed people. In fact, all he asked was that they do exactly what they are supposed to do. Fund it to spend it. Not rocket science, but apparently still above the intellectual pay grade of some on the left.

I agree, we have to fund it before we spend it as responsible American citizens, seems to me that since the stimulus money is nothing more than a slush fund why not use this to further extend unemployment benefits.

What ever happened to the concept of pay-go, I have not heard it for awhile.:lol:

Obama signed a new PAYGO bill into law February 12, 2010. He was quite proud to do so as I recall. :lol: Another piece of political theater.

This Obama is a piece of Sh1t... He flat out tells you one thing and then does the exact opposite...

That's exactly how I know what his next move is, because he SAID he would do the opposite last week. Sounds like you figured that out too. :clap2:

For instance, he promised Transperency and we got none, he promised no more earmarks and we still have earmarks, he promised pay-go and we are still going without paying. He promised no special interests, yet we have more special interests. The list goes on and on.:lol::lol::lol: Need more? let me know. :eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Bunning's 'let-em-eat-cake' attitude draws GOP backing
Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog) - ‎3-2-10
Jim Bunning, Republican of Kentucky, is using Senate rules to block a vote on extending unemployment benefits and COBRA health insurance subsidies to the

"At the end of the day, the Republicans proved they are not the party of no. They're the party of 'F**k no!'" –Bill Maher

This congressperson actually did the right thing. I hope his example starts a fire in the legislative branch but i doubt it...hell the citizens on this forum are already trying to douse the sparks.

How much support in Congress does Bunning have on this?

I don't know...how much does he need?

40 Senators.

I say offer to pay for it with a comparable cut in farm subsidies, and see who howls loudest.

What morons.

He said that the money should be paid for from the stimulus money, rather than put it on the Uncle Sam credit card.

And that is wrong because?

Labor Department says 400,000 will lose unemployment benefits in coming weeks if Congress doesn't act Anderson Independent Mail

By May, nearly 3 million people could be left without these benefits. If the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act subsidy under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is not extended, thousands of families will lose access to affordable health care, according to the statement.

If the extension is not approved, an estimated 500,000 workers who lose their jobs will be ineligible for subsidies to cover the cost of health care over this month. Over the rest of 2010, an estimated 5 million workers will be ineligible for the Recovery Act COBRA subsidy that covers 65 percent of the cost of coverage. Without this assistance, many of these families will be forced to join the ranks of the uninsured.

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed a bill to temporarily extend benefits — including unemployment insurance. In the Senate, however, Sen. Jim Bunning of Kentucky is blocking the extension. Senate leadership has called for the Senate to unanimously move this package on multiple occasions, Sen. Bunning has blocked the process each time.

------------------------------------

To those on the right, good news travels fast.

No, the democrats blocked it by refusing to pay for it from the stimulus money rather than put it on the credit card :cuckoo:

What morons.

He said that the money should be paid for from the stimulus money, rather than put it on the Uncle Sam credit card.

And that is wrong because?

Good luck in getting an answer to that. The liberals will show up and say that Bunning is mean and then duck for cover when asked WHY it's mean.

This Senator Bunning should resign for his own good. People are hurting, and he wants to block funding, talk about political suicide for the Republican party.!!

[SIZE=+1]
cantor-swine.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Bunning's Moral Problem[/SIZE]
He loves to cut off poor peoples' income

Link Excerpt:
The problem with neocons is that they think 'civilization' ENDS at the threshold of the "free market" (right wing code for the "economic law of the jungle: the predatory cult of enriching oneself at others' expense") The right wing refuses to see that it is THEY who are the irresponsible ones, because they REFUSE to contribute their fair share back to the social wellbeing of society and the good of the many, preferring to gripe about taxes while they leech off the labor of low income workers and pocket the profits gained on the backs of people they despise and people whose wages THEY have kept back by fraud and classist rationalizations. They leech off the very system that affords them their opportunities but then begrudge those poorer than they any benefit from that very same system. It is "do as I say, not as I do because THEY reserve the right to "get theirs' but hate others who may receive even a pittance of benefit from a miserly, two tiered system that rewards the rich and punishes the poor.

Hey Jay...

Congratulations. Team Canada certainly earned that medal. They are an outstanding team.

Well done with the olympics as well. Despite the weather not cooperating, I found them to be one of the more enjoyable ones to watch in a while.

I do believe this is rather an oversimplification of a rather complex issue. Many republicans and democrats along with independents believe our spending is out of control.

I don't have a problem with spending but we should look at it in terms of a free market strategy - basically what is the ROI - our return on our investment as a nation. Are we simply doing the right thing and if so what is the cost.

Bunning is simply asking Congress to do what it just voted to do - which is simply to not increase our deficit. Now if you don't actually do it, it is just a talking point. Democrats like to say it is simply 10 billion, but it wasn't a stimulus that did this, it was 10 bil here and 15 bil here, 200 mil here without any reconcilliation. We are throwing money with no returns on the investment to the greater good. If I am going to pay more in taxes, which I already am under obama, that is fine, but show me the benefit. Have some responsibility as well, a great measure would be an amendment that each year, the budget for that year must be balanced. How can the govt condemn business, when it won't hold itself to that same standard?

This Senator Bunning should resign for his own good. People are hurting, and he wants to block funding, talk about political suicide for the Republican party.!!

Let's try this again.

The democrats refused to pay for it by using stimulus money. Instead they wanted to add it to the credit card.

Thus, the democrats blocked it.

Let's try this again.

The democrats refused to pay for it by using stimulus money. Instead they wanted to add it to the credit card.

Thus, the democrats blocked it.

Why are people having so much trouble understanding this?

Paygo was agreed upon and touted as a must by democrats....what is it...something only used when it is convenient?

The democrats will have to tell their special interests that they will not be able to research the sex drive of the albino moose...that money is required to put food in the stomachs of some of America's children.

You do realize.......the albino moose sex drive is more important than american's hungry to the democrats....????

Forum List

Back