Unemployment Benefits are Becoming a Dependence Problem

There are no longer entry-level labor jobs out there that pay enough to live adequately, those days are gone.

There are loads of skilled labor positions, but not enough workers to fill it. Training for many of them have high costs with a minimum of a years time to be up to speed to do the job adequately.

Bullshit, entry level labor jobs have always paid shitty wages that were tough to get by on. Work hard and within 4-5yrs you are in the good money, the same as it's always been.

Problem is too many show up today wanting to wear a white hat day 1 and are not willing to start at the bottom. Tell them to dig a hole or move a pile of lumber and they get to asking "why"? or complaining that "licensed Jim isn't doing it why should I"? or some other bullshit whine.

There might be 1 in 10 worth a pinch of coon shit showing up on the job sites any more.

True, to a point. You're not factoring in for inflation, which increases at a much higher rate than average wages for labor jobs. People make way more in numbers than they did 50 years ago, but they get less value for it.

Inflation is outpacing most jobs wages though isn't it? I don't think labor jobs are unique for that.
As a contractor it's a real bastard anymore tying to give people more in wages. My pencil has to be real sharp just to get the jobs, then the permits, fuel, material, and labor costs is absolutely insane.

Last edited:
There are no longer entry-level labor jobs out there that pay enough to live adequately, those days are gone.

There are loads of skilled labor positions, but not enough workers to fill it. Training for many of them have high costs with a minimum of a years time to be up to speed to do the job adequately.

Bullshit, entry level labor jobs have always paid shitty wages that were tough to get by on. Work hard and within 4-5yrs you are in the good money, the same as it's always been.

Problem is too many show up today wanting to wear a white hat day 1 and are not willing to start at the bottom. Tell them to dig a hole or move a pile of lumber and they get to asking "why"? or complaining that "licensed Jim isn't doing it why should I"? or some other bullshit whine.

There might be 1 in 10 worth a pinch of coon shit showing up on the job sites any more.

Oh? Never said any such thing? My mistake.

You'll notice we were discussing entry level laborers asshole, that doesn't translate to "1 in 10 laborers".

True, to a point. You're not factoring in for inflation, which increases at a much higher rate than average wages for labor jobs. People make way more in numbers than they did 50 years ago, but they get less value for it.

Inflation is outpacing most jobs wages though isn't it? I don't think labor jobs are unique for that.
As a contractor it's a real bastard anymore tying to give people more in wages. My pencil has to be real sharp just to get the jobs, then the permits, fuel material, and labor costs is absolutely insane.

Inflation out-paces all jobs, except for corporate executives, they've experienced wage increases over the last 30 years that are astounding.

But yes, just as what labor earns doesn't go as far as it used to, the same goes for money required for overhead, although much of that gets passed on in price hikes, so I don't think it's as detrimental to the quality of life compared to the individual laborer.

Last edited:

As a contractor it's a real bastard anymore tying to give people more in wages. My pencil has to be real sharp just to get the jobs, then the permits, fuel, material, and labor costs is absolutely insane.

Inflation rates? Not sure about that. But wages have not kept up with the cost of living for working class Americans over the past 30 years.

Your comments regarding your struggles as a contractor are accurate. But they do not excuse your attitude toward labor. Not at all.

Oh? Never said any such thing? My mistake.

You'll notice we were discussing entry level laborers asshole, that doesn't translate to "1 in 10 laborers".

Whatever. Own your arrogance, Bossman.

Apparently there are lots of grapes and other veggies/fruit that need picking in your state.
Not in Southern California. And they don't pick during winter.

And for someone who's been diagnosed with heart failure, that occupation may be a little life threatening.

The point is, you cannot have un-employment, as a job.

As a contractor it's a real bastard anymore tying to give people more in wages. My pencil has to be real sharp just to get the jobs, then the permits, fuel material, and labor costs is absolutely insane.

They out-pace all jobs, except for corporate executives, they've experienced wage increases over the last 30 years that are astounding.

But yes, just as what labor earns doesn't go as far as it used to, the same goes for money required for overhead, although much of that gets passed on in price hikes, so I don't think it's as detrimental to the quality of life compared to the individual laborer.

That's just it though, the profit for the contractor has taken just as much a kick in the nuts too because people don't want to pay what the true costs are. Customers don't care about increased fuel and overhead costs. Then there's all the fly by nighters who pay cash and hire illegals you have to compete with.
Anyway, I'll leave it to say that the business owner isn't enjoying the same bang for their buck as they did 20yrs ago either. Things are getting shittier for all of us.

Obama wants to extend unemployment benefits. I just heard him say it. Until the end of time. He sang a little at the end.

They out-pace all jobs, except for corporate executives, they've experienced wage increases over the last 30 years that are astounding.

That's just it though, the profit for the contractor has taken just as much a kick in the nuts too because people don't want to pay what the true costs are. Customers don't care about increased fuel and overhead costs. Then there's all the fly by nighters who pay cash and hire illegals you have to compete with.
Anyway, I'll leave it to say that the business owner isn't enjoying the same bang for their buck as they did 20yrs ago either. Things are getting shittier for all of us.

All I've ever heard from Conservatives referring to increases in their overhead is how it always gets passed to the consumer in the form of increased prices. It's a primary argument against raising taxes on business.

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

All I've ever heard from Conservatives referring to increases in their overhead is how it always gets passed to the consumer in the form of increased prices.

Maybe you're doing it wrong.

I'm sure not every Conservative, I'm just me, and around here the competition is ruthless.

Apparently there are lots of grapes and other veggies/fruit that need picking in your state.
Not in Southern California. And they don't pick during winter.

And for someone who's been diagnosed with heart failure, that occupation may be a little life threatening.

The point is, you cannot have un-employment, as a job.

Well there you go, I've said from the start I'm talking about healthy people.

BECAUSE THE MIDDLE CLASS AIN'T GOT NO CASH!!!!

You supported the policies that led to this. Please don't bitch about it now.

BECAUSE THE MIDDLE CLASS AIN'T GOT NO CASH!!!!

You supported the policies that led to this. Please don't bitch about it now.

Since you know me so well, what policies did I support that led to this?

You are a nutter. You support nutter policies. You know....Reagan's policies and Bush's policies. You want Paul Ryan to have the bank book Your standard nutter stuff.

Forum List

Back