Unemployment Benefits are Becoming a Dependence Problem

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
Unemployment Benefits are Becoming a Dependence Problem​

By: Neil Snyder
12/29/2012

Imagine that you meet a young woman and after introductions, you ask, "What do you do?"

"I'm unemployed," she says.

"That's too bad. I hope you find a job soon."

Nothing unusual so far, but the conversation is about to take an interesting turn.

"I'm not looking for a job. Being unemployed is what I do."

The look on your face shows your bewilderment. What on earth is she talking about?

Welcome to the new United States of America, the Obama model that you voted to give another chance even though he didn't earn it. Yesterday, he said,

"So if we don't see an agreement between the two leaders in the Senate, I expect a bill to go on the floor-and I have asked Senator Reid to do this-put a bill on the floor that makes sure that taxes on middle class families don't go up, that unemployment insurance is still available for 2 million people, and that lays the groundwork then for additional deficit reduction and economic growth steps that we can take in the New Year."

I suppose that if you have never had to earn a living you wonder why anyone should have to. That's the problem with freebees. People who get them never learn to appreciate the importance of being able to take care of themselves. They think that their mere existence is their contribution to society.

Several years ago, I read a study about unintentionally creating dependence, and one of its findings made a lasting impression on me. The study concluded that when parents continue giving their children money after they should be taking care of themselves, it destroys their interest in ever becoming independent. The most shocking finding to me was how little money it takes to destroy their initiative.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Blog: Unemployment Benefits are Becoming a Dependence Problem

So he doesn't want to tax the AMerican middle class but he want's unlimited unemployment checks for 2 million? What a bozo!

I don't see how something that ends and can't be redone without a stint of employment is leading to a dependence problem. When it's gone, it's gone.

No such thing as unlimited, seeing how the states are the one that have the time line on control and distribution.
I never start a conversation by asking people who or where they work, it is rude and intruding upon private territory.

Another bullshit based thread aimed at trying to convince readers that the American species is, by nature, lazy and unwilling to work. Just what we need.

12/29/2012

Imagine that you meet a young woman and after introductions, you ask, "What do you do?"

Nothing unusual so far, but the conversation is about to take an interesting turn.

The look on your face shows your bewilderment. What on earth is she talking about?

Welcome to the new United States of America, the Obama model that you voted to give another chance even though he didn't earn it. Yesterday, he said,

"So if we don't see an agreement between the two leaders in the Senate, I expect a bill to go on the floor-and I have asked Senator Reid to do this-put a bill on the floor that makes sure that taxes on middle class families don't go up, that unemployment insurance is still available for 2 million people, and that lays the groundwork then for additional deficit reduction and economic growth steps that we can take in the New Year."

I suppose that if you have never had to earn a living you wonder why anyone should have to. That's the problem with freebees. People who get them never learn to appreciate the importance of being able to take care of themselves. They think that their mere existence is their contribution to society.

Several years ago, I read a study about unintentionally creating dependence, and one of its findings made a lasting impression on me. The study concluded that when parents continue giving their children money after they should be taking care of themselves, it destroys their interest in ever becoming independent. The most shocking finding to me was how little money it takes to destroy their initiative.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
How can something that has an expiration date, become a dependence?

My un-employment benefits expire on Jan. 5th. Federal extensions in California, ended yesterday. I will receive no more benefit payments, unless I file for an extension or a new claim. Since the deadline for an extension has already passed, that leaves new claim. However, in order to be eligible for a new claim, you must have worked an entire quarter for the past year, which I have not.

I've been applying for jobs on a daily basis all year long and none have been offered. I have been working since 1973, paying my taxes and my way through life. I've put more money into un-employment insurance than I've taken out. Yet you want to paint me as some free-loading loser, who desires to live on the dole?

Your article is inaccurate and doesn't reflect the truth of the situation.

I don't see how something that ends and can't be redone without a stint of employment is leading to a dependence problem. When it's gone, it's gone.

No such thing as unlimited, seeing how the states are the one that have the time line on control and distribution.
I never start a conversation by asking people who or where they work, it is rude and intruding upon private territory.

Another bullshit based thread aimed at trying to convince readers that the American species is, by nature, lazy and unwilling to work. Just what we need.

Then he has no need to constantly whine for extensions does he?

12/29/2012

(Excerpt)

Read more:

My un-employment benefits expire on Jan. 5th. Federal extensions in California, ended yesterday. I will receive no more benefit payments, unless I file for an extension or a new claim. Since the deadline for an extension has already passed, that leaves new claim. However, in order to be eligible for a new claim, you must have worked an entire quarter for the past year, which I have not.

I've been applying for jobs on a daily basis all year long and none have been offered. I have been working since 1973, paying my taxes and my way through life. I've put more money into un-employment insurance than I've taken out. Yet you want to paint me as some free-loading loser, who desires to live on the dole?

Apparently there are lots of grapes and other veggies/fruit that need picking in your state.

12/29/2012

(Excerpt)

Read more:

Apparently there are lots of grapes and other veggies/fruit that need picking in your state.

It isn't going to kill you to admit that your way of thinking needs to be adjusted slightly. You have been shown that the way you perceive those on unemployment and other form of assistance is inaccurate. Give a little. Show some real.....not bullshit.....real compassion for a guy like loinboy here. What will it hurt?

I work as a self employed fellow. Why. No answers to resumes and applications. I'd love to be in California and pick fruit. Not the gay ones though. This spring I plan on putting in 3-4 veggie gardens and selling the extra. Not much money in it but it is tax free.

Last edited:

Pay attention, Obama wants to extend the already extended time. It won't ever run out if the excuse for extending it is that we need to keep doing it for the unemployed.

This is a fallacy argument! First, unemployment only pays a small percent what one made. So if one made say $100K, he isn't getting $100K in benefits, it's more like $60K!!! Second, unemployment benefits are finite. Even if they do last for 99 weeks (close to 2 years), that is still finite!

I have seen many of my friends get laid off and go onto unemployment and NONE of them enjoy it and all seek employment. You can make a case for welfare recipients falling into the cycle of laziness and satisfaction with crumbles, but I don't see the same effect with unemployment!

i don't see how something that ends and can't be redone without a stint of employment is leading to a dependence problem. When it's gone, it's gone.

pay attention, obama wants to extend the already extended time. It won't ever run out if the excuse for extending it is that we need to keep doing it for the unemployed.

do you think most people on unemployment are passing up available jobs????????

What percentage of them is doing this, in your opinion?

It isn't going to kill you to admit that your way of thinking needs to be adjusted slightly. You have been shown that the way you perceive those on unemployment and other form of assistance is inaccurate. Give a little. Show some real.....not bullshit.....real compassion for a guy like loinboy here. What will it hurt?

I am showing compassion by pointing the poster towards work. I shoveled pig shit and caught chickens a couple nights a week when I started out. Picking some veggies and grapes shouldn't be too good for people without work.

Forum List

Back