Undocumented Immigrant marry U.S. Citizen?

Markjw

Rookie
Jun 27, 2009
Hello.

Sorry if this is a question that is asked frequently but I was hoping for a little information on steps for a U.S. Citizen to marry an undocumented immigrant (illegal alien, whatever your flavor) from Mexico. My girlfriend of 4 years and I are getting close to the point of wanting to marry. She has 2 kids, both born in the U.S., not mine, and I am a Natural Born U.S. Citizen and U.S. Army Veteran. I've looked around on the internet for open information and steps to take, but I always seems to find a dead-end with ads for attorneys. I know an attorney is going to be the end result, but I still like to find out everything I can before paying for something.

So, does anyone know of any specific forums that offer legal help on this topic? Has anyone here been through this process? I've read that she may have to return to Mexico for up to 10 years, but I really hope that isn't the case? I read that Obama is doing something with Immigration Reform that is supposed to offer a special waiver to immigrants that are marrying a U.S. Citizen, has this taken effect? Any other information would be great.

Thanks so much for any help, and if this the wrong forum, I apologize, but it seems like an Immigration issue of a sort.

Are you currently serving? Maybe ask your commanding officer? Or..if not serving..someone in your military unit that you served with that can assist you in the proper procedures?

Found this:

I am a us citizen who wants to marry a illegal immigrant if i marry her will she become legal? - Yahoo! Answers

(quoted remark is an answer to someone else in the link)

I want to address two issues.
1.-Does she currently lives in Texas or she is in Mexico?
2.-If you stated she is an Undocumented from Mexico. You must contact a lawyer to advise you on your case.
On Dec 2000 were an amendment to the Immigration law 245I who's overstay in the Country undocumented will suffered a penalty of $ 1,000 and 10 years of non permanence in U.S.
Only the people who filed the petition within the 245I can be protected from deportation or adjustment of status.
Marriage can not only give you an opportunity to change her status but it will a possibility to a deportation if you are not consulting an Immigration Lawyer.
Marriage do not provide automatic citizenship. After you marriage you must applied for change her status and wait for 3 months. currently from 6 to 12 months do to the backlog. Then she will receive an status change as a resident permanent. Good luck..
Source(s):
USCIS Home Page

I'm medically retired. I guess I could probably take this up with the VA or one of the VA support groups, that's actually a great idea. Thank you!

Also, thank you for the link, very much!

Get an immigration attorney and he knows what to do. I know you will have to go before a judge and need character reference. I have had to give reference for some of my family member who married illegally. I did it for my relatives and it was conditional on my terms. Screw them and make your live a living nightmare here in the u.s.

Forum List

Back