Under the Guise of Protecting Americans' Liberties

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The Terror Tactics of the ACLU
    By Bill O'Reilly
    March 7, 2005

It would be hard to imagine a better friend to Al Qaeda and other terrorist outfits than the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). If that statement shocks you, please allow me to back it up with facts.

A few days ago, the ACLU announced it will sue Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on behalf of eight foreign nationals who say they were abused by American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ACLU contends that the ultimate responsibility for the physical and psychological injuries sustained by the men lies at the highest levels of the U.S. government. Thus, Rumsfeld is their poster boy. By the way, the word "alleged" is not mentioned by the ACLU in their brief.

The suit is a farce and will go nowhere, I predict. The terror war is now three and a half years old, there are more than 300,000 American forces deployed around the world, and the allegations of torture against those forces number about 300. That is very, very low. The ACLU is simply blowing far left smoke, doing what it usually does: undermining policies it dislikes.

There is no question the ACLU opposes just about every pro-active measure taken to fight terror. Consider the following:

The ACLU opposes the Patriot Act. But, in 2003, when asked by liberal Senator Dianne Feinstein to produce examples of government abuse under the act, the ACLU did not produce one.

The ACLU opposes the "No Fly List" complied by the Transportation Security Administration to keep known bad guys off American airliners.

The ACLU has sued to stop federal authorities from giving information about illegal aliens to state and local police agencies. You read that right. The ACLU does not want local authorities to know who is illegally living in their neighborhoods.

And the ACLU believes that terrorists captured wearing civilian clothing are entitled to the rights legitimate soldiers receive under the Geneva Convention. Thus, no coercive interrogation.

Now I ask you, who is Al Qaeda's best friend in the USA? Am I wrong here? I tried to find out just what anti-measures the ACLU did support but was told that was not the organization's mandate. They are committed to the protection of rights. Well, what about the right to live, ACLU, a right Al Qaeda denied 3,000 Americans on 9/11?

For full story http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/oreilly030705.asp
    © 2004 Creators Syndicate

2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    they better be changing their name to the WCLU instead of the AMERICAN civil liberties union.

3. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Or maybe the AACLU (Anti....). I can't believe these hateful bastards even receive the time of day in this country.

Maybe we'll outgrow them....

4. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I think the ACLU will continue in existence as long as there are liberals and as long as there are people willing to fund their activities. But with all the alternative information sources available now, there is hope that their clout will decrease in the future as more people get the picture of what a sham organization the ACLU really is.

5. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Let's hope so. As you say, there are alternate sources of information out there now. Maybe there is reason for optimism.

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    It doesn't really matter whether they're right or wong, does it? They oppose many of the administration's policies, so they are to be smeared with the label "anti-American". You should (but since you can't bear the thought that they might actually be right about what they're talking about, you won't) be thanking them for protecting our civil-liberties from further erosion. It is you, and your fellow travelers, who will be left behind on history's midden.

7. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Did you read the article at all, Bully?

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bully, I can't say I agree with his premise fully, but YOU and the ACLU should be asking yourself related questions:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,5673,1431571,00.html

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,192
    They arent protecting anyones civil liberties Bully. I protect my own civil liberties and ill defend anyone else who asks for it. However, i am not going to fight to take away peoples right to exercise religious values in a public setting. Im not going to fight to take away property rights. Im not going to fight to make tax payers pay for religious bigots who call crucifixes in piss art.

America was great before the ACLU existed. It will continue to be great long after the ACLU is in the dust. Because its not the ACLU that protects civil liberties. Its the Constitution of the United States that protects civil liberties. And its our Military who fight to defend the Constitution and to allow our fellow mankind the freedom to govern themselves as well.

Oh and BTW Ive opposed the ACLU since before President Bush was elected in 2000. my opposition to them has nothing to do with the President but to their attempts to infringe on our civil liberties such as property rights, free exercise rights, second amendment rights etc. they are hypocrites and im freakin tired of them trying to take away my friends and tell me they are protecting them. BS.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Bah, humbug. The ACLU is nothing but a pack of idiot anarchists. They pick and choose which "rights" they defend and ignore anything that doesn't fit within their paradigm.

I've despised the ACLU a whole lot longer than the current administration has been in office, so that part of your argument doesn't hold up either.