Undead Pool

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I expect the annual Dead Pool to bubble up shortly but I'd like to call some shots for the opposite effect.

This would be a list of known people currently 90 years old or older, who the list expects will still be alive and kicking on New Year's Day 2020. The Anti-Dead Pool pool if you like.

One "point" for every year over 90 that makes it. Over 100 on 1/1/20 gets a ten-point bonus.

My nominees:
  • Jimmy Carter (currently 94)
  • Bob Dole (95)
  • Betty White ( -- will be 98 in January, just to bug Gracie ) ;)
  • Dick van Dyke (just turned 93)
  • Bob Barker (just turned 95)
  • Ken Nordine (98)
  • Mel Brooks (92)
  • Henry Kissinger (95)

and for the bonus --- between Olivia deHavilland and Kirk Douglas (both currently 102), I'm taking

• Kirk Douglas

Place yer bets.

I expect the annual Dead Pool to bubble up shortly but I'd like to call some shots for the opposite effect.

This would be a list of known people currently 90 years old or older, who the list expects will still be alive and kicking on New Year's Day 2020. The Anti-Dead Pool pool if you like.

One "point" for every year over 90 that makes it. Over 100 on 1/1/20 gets a ten-point bonus.

My nominees:
  • Bob Dole (95)
  • Ken Nordine (98)
  • Mel Brooks (92)
  • Henry Kissinger (95)

and for the bonus --- between Olivia deHavilland and Kirk Douglas (both currently 102), I'm taking

• Kirk Douglas

Place yer bets.

No way in hell Dole makes it to 2020 given what he looked like at the funeral of Bush.

Mel Brooks was on the Gong Show this year... or some other game show and he looked in good health.

My nominees:
  • Bob Dole (95)
  • Ken Nordine (98)
  • Mel Brooks (92)
  • Henry Kissinger (95)

• Kirk Douglas

Place yer bets.

No way in hell Dole makes it to 2020 given what he looked like at the funeral of Bush.

Mel Brooks was on the Gong Show this year... or some other game show and he looked in good health.

Yabbut Dole's looked that way a long time. Ain't easy getting to 95.
I figure these people got this far because they have a knack for fighting off adversity. Kind of like that Saturn I bought that already had 200 thousand miles on it --- I took that as a track record, and sure enough I put another 200 thousand on it.

Christopher Plummer
Angela Lansbury
Bob Newhart
Ed Asner
Doris Day
Cicely Tyson
Chloris Leachman
Nancy Olson

Melanie Wilkes lives!

Bless her.

OK I had to look that one up. Have never actually seen "Gone With the Wind".

Fun fact: Olivia deHavilland is related not only to Joan Fontaine (her sister, who lived to be 96 and as a younger child was prohibited from using the family name) but also to the deHavilland aircraft company that made the infamous DeHavilland Comet, the plane that revolutionized air travel until it started blowing up in mid air (several times).

Melanie Wilkes lives!

Bless her.

Fun fact: Olivia deHavilland is related not only to Joan Fontaine (her sister, who lived to be 96 and as a younger child was prohibited from using the family name) but also to the deHavilland aircraft company that made the infamous DeHavilland Comet, the plane that revolutionized air travel until it started blowing up in mid air (several times).
Maybe it's time you put on your time travel helmet and watched Gone With the Wind, Pogo. No one as educated as you should have this hole in your knowledge. It is based on a novel written by a woman born in 1900 and raised in Atlanta who had grown up hearing first hand stories of the Civil War by her old relatives. The CONFEDERATE point of view. So, no, it is no longer politically correct. But it is the best romance of all time and also gives us an extremely strong female character, one of the all time strongest, if also the most flawed. I love Scarlett, of course I love Rhett, I love this movie. Some day when it's snowing and blowing, watch it. It's four hours long.

And thanks for the fun facts on Miss Olivia.

Melanie Wilkes lives!

Bless her.

Maybe it's time you put on your time travel helmet and watched Gone With the Wind, Pogo. No one as educated as you should have this hole in your knowledge. It is based on a novel written by a woman born in 1900 and raised in Atlanta who had grown up hearing first hand stories of the Civil War by her old relatives. The CONFEDERATE point of view. So, no, it is no longer politically correct. But it is the best romance of all time and also gives us an extremely strong female character, one of the all time strongest, if also the most flawed. I love Scarlett, of course I love Rhett, I love this movie. Some day when it's snowing and blowing, watch it. It's four hours long.

Yeah I know, right? I generally don't do movies at all and never ever had any interest in GWTW until I read that it was part of the whole Lost Cause Culture, so now I need to see it as a historical artifact just to be better versed on the history of that particular propaganda and how it was put together. Unfortunately even in the old-old movie theater in this little burg they have moved on to other more recent stuff like "Cinderella". Might be too late. :(

But then I've never actually seen "Birth of a Nation" either, and yet I git along.....

How many non celebs are in their late 90's but nobody knows?

I don't want any of them to die, to be honest. I will be bummed when most on those lists DO die. Especially Doris Day. The rest...although I don't wish death on anyone, are more of a "meh" if they do.

I'm gonna say Clint Eastwood. Dude looks awful.

Melanie Wilkes lives!

Bless her.

Yeah I know, right? I generally don't do movies at all and never ever had any interest in GWTW until I read that it was part of the whole Lost Cause Culture, so now I need to see it as a historical artifact just to be better versed on the history of that particular propaganda and how it was put together. Unfortunately even in the old-old movie theater in this little burg they have moved on to other more recent stuff like "Cinderella". Might be too late. :(

But then I've never actually seen "Birth of a Nation" either, and yet I git along.....
Historical artifact, Pogo? Forget it then. You are definitely not in the proper frame of mind.

Melanie Wilkes lives!

Bless her.

Historical artifact, Pogo? Forget it then. You are definitely not in the proper frame of mind.

I can't think of any other reason to watch a movie. :dunno:

Hey, every ten years or so somebody somewhere treats me to a movie for my birthday. Last one was "Borat" so it might be about time. Maybe I'll make a request.

Forum List

Back