UN without the US?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5stringJeff, Oct 9, 2003.

1. rtm

rtm Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You seem to forget, if it weren't for the Russians, the americans would be fighting the nazis on two fronts instead of one. America didn't do it all alone, no matter how sensical you tell yourself it is. Proof of that is the Vietnam, we went in alone without allies and people got killed. Do you also agree that America won World War 1?

2. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no, I did not forget, my family was there !

Vietnam, are you kidding me, do you know anything at all about history. If it were not for the politics involved vietnam would have lasted about a month. You try fighting a war with your hands tied behind your back.

3. SLClemens

SLClemens Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The replies on to this message are just unbelievable. Someone asks what the UN has done with little or no US help, someone finds a rather impressive list, and then what? Is the mere fact that multilateralism can work, at least a bit, so repugnant? I can only hope that I misinterpreted a few people as being rude when they were just trying to be funny.

Someone mentioned Africa, presumably referring to Rwanda. Here the UN did try, and yes, was rather incompetent. But a very small number of Belgian and Canadian peacekeepers probably did stop thousands of other deaths. What a pity for the others that Rwanda has no oil.

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Neither did Mogadishu !