UN-Privatize Baseball Now. PLEEEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Yesterday, I quit doing something that I have been doing for 60 years. I ceased to be a major league baseball fan. I started out as a kid rooting for the New York Yankees in the 1950s. After I moved to California in the late 70s, I became an Oakland As fan, and in the late 90s, I became a Tampa Bay Rays fan. But yesterday the private owners of the Rays caused me to drop the game of baseball from my life entirely, when they cut loose the Rays star pitcher, David Price, and his big salary, to Detroit, and pretended it was a trade. They got really nothing in return. In fact the 2 active players they got are more likely to hurt the Rays than help them.

The bottom line of this is that these guys (owners) are wrecking the game of baseball, that we fans have known and love and followed all our lives. And why ? Simple. Because to them, it isn't a game of baseball. It's a stock market. It's a profit and loss statement. A balance sheet, etc. These guys couldn't care less what happens to the team. They are looking at this from a MONEY perspective, period.

Older fans like myself remember the days back when it wasn't anything like this. There was no free agency for the players. Some of the greatest players ever to perform on a field (Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, etc.) played for one team only for 20 years. Teams were not revolving doors, where each year, fans wonder who their teams' players are.

In the case of the Rays, they are in a significant year. On June 10th, the team was 18 games under .500. Now they are right up in contention once again , and have the best record in baseball since June. Things are going great, and the fans are excited. And what happens ? Mr. Moneybags steps in and starts dismantling the foundations of the team (just to save money).

OK. He is a capitalist trying to make a profit. But the baseball team is much more than just his PROPERTY. It is a cultural entity in the area. The Rays are an institution in the Tampa bay area, and I'm sure it's the same with other teams in other places. What New York baseball fan my age will ever forget when the Giants and Dodgers left New York and went to the west coast ?.....leaving millions of fans heartbroken.

It is time to get baseball out of the hands of the moneychangers, and into the hands of the FANS, who care about baseball and its welfare. For the Rays (similar scenario for other teams), I suggest that they be bought by the 3 counties of Pinellas, Hillsborough, and Manatee, and that the Rays play 1/3 of their home games in each of those counties. It is critical to get baseball out of the hands of these dollar sharks, who probably don't know a curve ball, from a balk, from a sacrifice fly, ans are wrecking the game of professional baseball.

Get the fans together and put up the money to buy the team and pay the players.

Then it will belong to the fans. Until then......

I have started to do just that, by calling my County commisioners, and suggesting that 3 countys together buy the team. Hopefully they'll know how to get the fans going on this, but it really is up to the county guys. And this has already been done in MLB. Cleveland I think it was.

Dude don't kid yourself the Rays weren't about to do anything this year or next year. David Price is expensive and the Rays can use that money for other needs now. They didn't get much in return but if he left for free agency after next season they wouldn't have gotten anything at all.

I have started to do just that, by calling my County commisioners, and suggesting that 3 countys together buy the team. Hopefully they'll know how to get the fans going on this, but it really is up to the county guys. And this has already been done in MLB. Cleveland I think it was.

According to Forbes, the Tampa Bay Rays are worth $485 million. Split between 3 counties that comes to just under $162 million per county.

You think they will spend that much money for the fans? :cuckoo:

Dude don't kid yourself the Rays weren't about to do anything this year or next year. David Price is expensive and the Rays can use that money for other needs now. They didn't get much in return but if he left for free agency after next season they wouldn't have gotten anything at all.

All of that is the middle lines of the issue. The bottom line is that baseball needs to be baseball, not some kind of a stock market, with money manipulators making a mess out of the game.

According to Forbes, the Tampa Bay Rays are worth $485 million. Split between 3 counties that comes to just under $162 million per county.

If/whenever they profit from ticket sales, TV $$$, et al, they won't be spending, they'll be receiving. You only mentioned the money out. There's also the money coming IN.
Did Forbes say anything about that ?

Also, if MLB (and other pro sports preferably), was deprivatized, the $485 million figure goes right down the drain. All the idiocy that has been ruling the roost will disappear. Players salaries will shrink to maybe $300K/year tops, ticket prices will go down, sales will soar, stadiums will be built in upper economic communities, not alongside large black ghettos, and old, poor retirement communities like Tropicana Field was ludicriously done. What exists now is not the yardstick. That yardstick will be in the trash can, and a whole new scenario will exist. Forbes only talks about the old. I'm talking about the new. And in that "new", "worth" will be how fans are able to go to games and love it, not measured in $$$.

Last edited:

If/whenever they profit from ticket sales, TV $$$, et al, they won't be spending, they'll be receiving. You only mentioned the money out. There's also the money coming IN.

If it such a profitable endeavor, why do you assume the owners would be willing to sell?

Also, if MLB (and other pro sports preferably), was deprivatized, the $485 million figure goes right down the drain. All the idiocy that has been ruling the roost will disappear. Players salaries will shrink to maybe $300K/year tops, ticket prices will go down, sales will soar, stadiums will be built in upper economic communities, not alongside large black ghettos, and old, poor retirement communities like Tropicana Field was ludicriously done. What exists now is not the yardstick. That yardstick will be in the trash can, and a whole new scenario will exist. Forbes only talks about the old. I'm talking about the new. And in that "new", "worth" will be how fans are able to go to games and love it, not measured in $$$.

The money in baseball is not strictly from fans attending games. The TV rights pay as much, if not more, than the tickets do.

You suggest taking the players salaries down to $300k a year as the top end? Since the current players have contracts that legally require payment, you will have to weed them out over time. And, over time, the best players will either take up another sport or go somewhere else to play.

And I am still curious why you think the owners of the teams will be willing to sell.

If it such a profitable endeavor, why do you assume the owners would be willing to sell?

I see it as profitable AFTER they let loose of it.

I see them not wanting to sell. They have invested a lot of money, time and effort into it.

You might be able to buy a few minor league teams, and maybe one or two major league teams, but that is it. And if your salary limit is $300k per player, then few players will be coming your way.

And there are 10 MLB teams that are supposedly worth at least $1 billion.

The money in baseball is not strictly from fans attending games. The TV rights pay as much, if not more, than the tickets do.

You suggest taking the players salaries down to $300k a year as the top end? Since the current players have contracts that legally require payment, you will have to weed them out over time. And, over time, the best players will either take up another sport or go somewhere else to play.

And I am still curious why you think the owners of the teams will be willing to sell.

1. I already mentioned TV $$.

2 So the players get weeded. Whatever.

3. I already mentioned "(and other pro sports preferably)", so the players wouldn't have that option. In addition, just because a guy can play one sport, that doesn't mean he can play another. Remember when Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball, with the White Sox ? :lol: Also, pro sports has physical requirements. Most baseball players aren't tall enough for basketball, or husky enough for football. (and could you just see then trying to ice skate ?) LOL.

Last edited:

1. I already mentioned TV $$.

2 So the players get weeded. Whatever.

3. I already mentioned "(and other pro sports preferably)", so the players wouldn't have that option. In addition, just because a guy can play one sport, that doesn't mean he can play another. Remember when Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball, with the White Sox ? :lol: Also, pro sports has physical requirements. Most baseball players aren't tall enough for basketball, or husky enough for football. (and could you just see then trying to ice skate ?) LOL.

This is all well and good. But the first thing you have to do is get the owners to sell. I doubt they will be interested. They damn sure won't be for cut-rate prices. So you are gonna have to pony up billions of dollars to start this fantasy.

I see them not wanting to sell. They have invested a lot of money, time and effort into it.

You might be able to buy a few minor league teams, and maybe one or two major league teams, but that is it. And if your salary limit is $300k per player, then few players will be coming your way.

Your use of the word "worth" is something within the baseball capitalist mindset. I'm talking from outside of that. This whole thing has degraded so far down, it is time for govt to step in and impose regulation (BIG time) This is a perfect example of how far into disarray and insanity things can go, when left entirely to the free market. Whole thing needs to be REDEFINED. Nationalize the whole league, and then put them under state controls.

Last edited:

Your use of the word "worth" is something within the baseball capitalist mindset. I'm talking from outside of that. This whole thing has degraded so far down, it is time for govt to step in and impose regulation (BIG time)
Whole thing needs to be REDEFINED.

So you want the gov't to step in and steal major league basebal teams from their rightful owners and give them to some sort of halfassed citizen consortium??

You want to cheat the team owners out of hundreds of millions of dollars, and take their property, against their will and by force, all because you don't like the way they are playing the game now??

I have seen some suggestions for temper tantrums, but this one takes the cake.

You think Government Bureaucrats will do better at managing team rosters?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Your use of the word "worth" is something within the baseball capitalist mindset. I'm talking from outside of that. This whole thing has degraded so far down, it is time for govt to step in and impose regulation (BIG time) This is a perfect example of how far into disarray and insanity things can go, when left entirely to the free market. Whole thing needs to be REDEFINED. Nationalize the whole league, and then put them under state controls.

You are talking fantasy.

When I use the word "worth" I am quoting the financial worth of the teams. It is not something you can simply dismiss because you remember baseball being different.

And the gov't has no business taking over baseball. It has no vested interest.

You make it sound like it is a matter of national security that you don't think baseball is as entertaining as it once was.

You think it is not as entertaining, so you want the gov't to step in and fix it??? LMAO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back