Ultimate Hypocrisy - Greenies are Liars and Thieves

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
In the case of environmental hypocrisy, that "more" may be the virtuous glow we get from doing one little green thing: it casts an outsize moral halo. That is, we feel so righteous when we buy organic food or a compact fluorescent bulb or a Prius that our internal moral cup runneth over. According to this model, which is called compensatory ethics (see the PDF of the first paper on this Web site), people have an inner sense of how morally virtuous they need to feel to support their self-image. If a few actions (including espousing actions for other people) are enough to justify how we like to think of ourselves, then we do not need to perform any additional virtuous actions. It's as if we accumulate moral points for ethical actions, and having accumulated "enough" we are free to act amorally, or even immorally. That's why reminding people of what wonderful humanitarians they are causes them to give less to charity

"In line with the halo associated with green consumerism…people act more altruistically after mere exposure to green products," Mazar and Zhong write in their upcoming paper. But they "act less altruistically and are more likely to cheat and steal after purchasing green products than after purchasing conventional products."

Does Going Green Make You Less Virtuous? - Newsweek.com

Makes sense to me. Isn't this what crap and trade is all about?

Just a side comment... I purposefully do things that aren't green. I do things like recycling because I believe that gives us a cleaner environment... but i don't get the green bulbs or the other crap they espouse.

Of course everyone wants a clean planet, but this "halo effect" reminds me of a few other hypocrisies on the interwebs - like "spreading the wealth" and "health care reform" Just as long as it's OPM. "Espousing humanitariansm" is a rationalization for not giving much to charity. See our VPs charitable donations...

Ah yes, to return to a Dickensonian world where private charity takes care of everything. It was such a perfect world.

Scarecrow.jpg

Sing with me now...

...if I only had a brain...:eusa_whistle:

Terrible title for a thead, the greenee meanees will ignore this thread simply because of the title, the title shoud read, "conservative right wing christians vow to destroy earth and all life", with a title like that you can be assured the Liberal/Marxist will have all kinds of stuff to add, as it is, this title the greenees will ignore and hopefully see disappear.

I stumbled upon this article, too.

Interesting theory.

I'd like to know how they arrived at that conclusion, wouldn't you?

Did the "Greenies" tell them that they were compensating by acting "amorally or even immorally" do we suppose?

Does that jibe with what any of you actually know about how immoral and amoral people act?

Do they ADMIT that they're immoral or amnoral? DO THEY?

My point?

I am highly dubious of this research.

Not necessary that I disagree with the conclusion, merely that I doubt these researchers could actually get the evidence to support their conclusions.

FWIW I find that environmentalists are no more and no less honest than anybody else.

Before you think that I'm defending environmentalists understand that I think MOST people are essantially dishonest as hell.

We all create narratives that make ourselves out to be heroic, decent, honest people.

And we lie to ourselves far more than we ever lie to anybody else to do that, too.

Last edited:
but i don't get the green bulbs
---------------------------------------

What don't you get about saving 75% on your lighting costs???

Forum List

Back