Ukraine Could Free Crimea by End of Summer: Ex-U.S. General

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Ukrainian troops—if sufficiently supported with expanded Western military aid—can break through Russian lines and reach the occupied Crimean Peninsula by the end of the summer, the former commander of the U.S. Army in Europe Ben Hodges has told Newsweek.

Amid concerns about the slow pace and mounting losses of Ukraine's nascent counteroffensive in the south and east of the country launched early in June, Hodges called on President Joe Biden's administration to underscore its commitment to Ukrainian victory by providing advanced weapons like the MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile System—colloquially known as the ATACMS—so far denied Kyiv for fear of provoking Russian retaliation.

"My principal caveat still remains that if the United States were to provide what Ukraine needs, then Ukraine could actually still liberate Crimea by the end of this summer," Hodges said in an interview about the progress and prospects of Ukraine's long-awaited push.

So, according to General Hodges, the question is not if Ukraine can push Russia out, but how long it will take.

OP lacks any form of sound judgement when posting blatant rubbish -- not even propaganda-- which is at total odds with every known decent real source of news .The piece is a typical "If" quote and like me saying that I could fly myself to the Moon , IF ---- . Borders on the childish .

Why not? There is no close air support by either side in this war. Ukrainian air defenses are so good that Russian helicopters and fighters can only fire long range missiles.
Hard proof that you are clueless . The reason for so many Russian drone sorties was to take out the Ukey missile response capability. Their reserves are on empty.Clueless , Toomuchbooze

Ukrainian troops—if sufficiently supported with expanded Western military aid—can break through Russian lines and reach the occupied Crimean Peninsula by the end of the summer, the former commander of the U.S. Army in Europe Ben Hodges has told Newsweek.

Amid concerns about the slow pace and mounting losses of Ukraine's nascent counteroffensive in the south and east of the country launched early in June, Hodges called on President Joe Biden's administration to underscore its commitment to Ukrainian victory by providing advanced weapons like the MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile System—colloquially known as the ATACMS—so far denied Kyiv for fear of provoking Russian retaliation.

"My principal caveat still remains that if the United States were to provide what Ukraine needs, then Ukraine could actually still liberate Crimea by the end of this summer," Hodges said in an interview about the progress and prospects of Ukraine's long-awaited push.

So, according to General Hodges, the question is not if Ukraine can push Russia out, but how long it will take.
Well, this is the only staple the dems have to hang their patriotism on
After all. it isn't the usa

If Ukraine had the Crusader artillery system....they might be making some gains in their maneuver warfare style of asymmetrical warfare. Maybe....dunno.

The Russians are dug in like ticks at the moment.

But "digging in " is ALWAYS a losing proposition for the long term. Because the Russians are then fixed to their locations...and a way to destroy their fixed location can be figured out and ultimately destroyed by lack of supplies or blind spots.
Ukrainian military has a reputation for being innovative to the absurd....and figuring out unique solutions to their problems.

Just saying. It's a matter of time before Ukraine figures out what to do....and they have inventions of their own to assist them.

So he doesn't think Russia would go nuclear in defense of its only warm-water naval base?

So he doesn't think Russia would go nuclear in defense of its only warm-water naval base?
Russia doesn't want to die or be annihilated anymore than anyone else does....

And any nuclear exchange has them on the losing end every time.

It's not so much the port itself as it is completely controlling the Ukranian's economy. Yes they have one other port but Russia still controls anything on the black sea.
It's not the port but the cheap cheap goods that Russia regularly steals from Ukraine.

I wonder why the ukrainians are not staging Maidan protests now, when they are being driven like cattle to the slaughter?

Forum List

Back