Uber, Lyft drivers rally at Mission Safeway to demand higher pay

I never understood the whole Uber/Lyft "ride sharing" thing.

Taxi and jitney drivers at least got paid in cash, and taxi drivers didn't have to use the family car to pick someone up.

The times I’ve used Uber it was cheaper and the wait time was less than a taxi

Taxi and jitney drivers at least got paid in cash, and taxi drivers didn't have to use the family car to pick someone up.

Labor racketeering scam; find suckers desperate for any kind of a job, make them use their own cars and call them 'contractors' so you don't have to pay a minimum wage and payroll taxes like Social Security on your employees. It's a common scam in the U.S. Just rake off the gravy and let the suckers pay all the costs.

If you'd actually ever use it, you would.

I was throwing up blood at a truck stop in Alabama. I couldn't drive my rig anymore. Rather than call 911 and get a 5000 dollar bill from an ambulance company to take me 6 miles down the road, I tried Uber. The guy was at the truck stop in less than 3 minutes with me at the hospital in less than 10. Total charge: 17 dollars and change.

If you'd actually ever use it, you would.

I was throwing up blood at a truck stop in Alabama. I couldn't drive my rig anymore. Rather than call 911 and get a 5000 dollar bill from an ambulance company to take me 6 miles down the road, I tried Uber. The guy was at the truck stop in less than 3 minutes with me at the hospital in less than 10. Total charge: 17 dollars and change.

I understand why people are Uber riders. What I was amazed at is why people are Uber drivers.

Uber was a great value a few years ago, driving me to Pittsburgh Airport for a very reasonable cost from Youngstown- lots cheaper than a taxi would cost me.

I understand why people are Uber riders. What I was amazed at is why people are Uber drivers.

Uber was a great value a few years ago, driving me to Pittsburgh Airport for a very reasonable cost from Youngstown- lots cheaper than a taxi would cost me.

Yes, the rate I got with Uber to go to the hospital was in 2019 I believe.

If they want more money then they should work towards jobs that are more than just driving people around in their cars.

Doing Uber is just a side job for some extra cash and nothing else. Much like running the fry machine at McDonald's it doesn't exist as a way to support your family. It's for young people to make some money at, a person to make a little extra money, or for someone retired to have something to occupy their time and keep them busy.

The lack of ambition in America is astonishingly low anymore. Way too many people think they deserve everything for nothing. If you want skilled labor wages then you need a skilled labor job that you have earned and have actual skills for.

If they want more money then they should work towards jobs that are more than just driving people around in their cars.

Doing Uber is just a side job for some extra cash and nothing else. Much like running the fry machine at McDonald's it doesn't exist as a way to support your family. It's for young people to make some money at, a person to make a little extra money, or for someone retired to have something to occupy their time and keep them busy.

The lack of ambition in America is astonishingly low anymore. Way too many people think they deserve everything for nothing. If you want skilled labor wages then you need a skilled labor job that you have earned and have actual skills for.
Lots of people do Uber jobs to help offset the cost of acquiring skills.

Forum List

Back