U.S. National Debt - $9 trillion

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Just came across this site:

U.S. National Debt Clock

"The estimated population of the United States is 304,194,919
so each citizen's share of this debt is $30,863.66.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.45 billion per day since September 28, 2007!"

Just came across this site:

U.S. National Debt Clock

"The estimated population of the United States is 304,194,919
so each citizen's share of this debt is $30,863.66.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of
$1.45 billion per day since September 28, 2007!"

We're pretty damn good at deluding ourselves, ain't we ? I know that I sure as hell don't feel like I owe anyone 30 K .

Incurring debt to fight the recession is fine. Not paying it back when the economy was expanding is bad policy.

That's the economic legacy of this President who cut taxes and increased spending so we can tax our children instead.

Incurring debt to fight the recession is fine. Not paying it back when the economy was expanding is bad policy.

That's the economic legacy of this President who cut taxes and increased spending so we can tax our children instead.

Then, you are saying that OUR PRESIDENT LIED when he said: "We will not deny, we will not ignore, we will not pass along our problems to other Congresses, to other presidents and other generations."?

Ah yes, those fiscally conservative neo-cons.

Nice job Bush supporters, nice job.

TWICE this guy was elected...INCREDIBLE!

And even that is debatable.

He was pretty obviously annointed the first go-round by the Supreme court.

He may have actually won the second time around, depending on whether you believe that that election wasn't rigged.

I'm still not sure about the 2004 election.

:clap2: We must cut unnecessary governmental spending, all to often today spending is used by Congressional representatives to repay their campaign donors and pander to their special interests. There is billions and billions of taxpayer's money being wasted, then we borrow from China, Japan and etc....to fund even more spending. Pathetic....

:clap2: We must cut unnecessary governmental spending, all to often today spending is used by Congressional representatives to repay their campaign donors and pander to their special interests. There is billions and billions of taxpayer's money being wasted, then we borrow from China, Japan and etc....to fund even more spending. Pathetic....

We actually do a pretty good job of keeping what is known as DISCRETIONARY spending with in bounds. When you get past the intrest on the national debt, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and the Military budget, there's not much left...something like 15%. That's not much to play with. And trying to make gov't efficient is useless. The worthless civil service culture in gov't is beyond repair.

We actually do a pretty good job of keeping what is known as DISCRETIONARY spending with in bounds. When you get past the intrest on the national debt, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and the Military budget, there's not much left...something like 15%. That's not much to play with. And trying to make gov't efficient is useless. The worthless civil service culture in gov't is beyond repair.

There is waste in discretionary spending and billions of dollars of waste in non-discretionary spending.

Non-defense, non-discretionary spending rose faster under Bush than it did under Clinton.

I do not agree with the general consensus that the government workers are inherently inefficient.

Most of the waste I see in government doesn't come from government operations, but from those sweetheart contracts that private companies get from our government.

Privatizing services now proformed by the government is not necessarily going tyo save us any money in my opinion.

Non-defense, non-discretionary spending rose faster under Bush than it did under Clinton.

That just goes to prove Bush is no fiscal conservative. Some slack should be given though due to 9/11, there was a whole new cabinet department formed under his adminstration. 9/11 has had untold costs to the federal government.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. bush's war is driving the deficit farther and farther into the red.

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. bush's war is driving the deficit farther and farther into the red.

Umm....concentrating on defense spending is like focusing on a yapping Chihuahua when there is a German Sheppard latched onto your ass. Cutting social spending and governmental waste would afford the federal government huge budget surpluses. 25% of tax revenue is spent for collecting taxes.....:eusa_whistle:

I do not agree with the general consensus that the government workers are inherently inefficient.

Most of the waste I see in government doesn't come from government operations, but from those sweetheart contracts that private companies get from our government.

Privatizing services now proformed by the government is not necessarily going tyo save us any money in my opinion.

Then you've never worked in government or for a government contractor. The American Civil Service is as useless a collection of workers as this country has in any sector. It's almost completely useless. You can't fire them, you can't hold them accountable for anything. And they hide behind more sets of rules any one person could ever fathom. To solve it, you have to DISOLVE IT and start over, privitizing most of it.

Iraq is the cheapest war in US history. We spent roughly 9.5% of GDP on the Korean War, a whopping 14% on the Vietnam War. WWII we spent 38% of GDP, and I was shocked it wasn't more....

Oh yea....Iraq? We spend about 4.5% of GDP on Iraq.....

What has largely caused the deficit to bloom during the Bush years was the Tech bust of the late 90's, 9/11 and creating a huge new Federal department, Katrina....and Bush's penchant for spending more on non-discretionary SOCIAL spending than any president since FDR....that includes LBJ's "Great Society".

Forum List

Back