U.S. House passes "Protect Life Act"

The House Tea-Tards are Stuck on Stupid. It's like anti-abortion Groundhog Day.

You must be a male.

At two months you feel the stirring. At three months I have no idea but all of a sudden they start to rock.

At 4 months you are talking party time because the soul that is in you starts really going for it.

Trust me by 9 months they are doing dances to Madonna/Queen/ and freaking Elton John. Holy toledo. You try to keep a plate on your belly at 9 months and we are talking the kid inside you is kicking it off.

And trust me. You can't wait to deliver.

she's female. as am i.

and thanks for the descriptions... totally and completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the unconstitutional trash proposed by the rightwingnut loons in the House.

now i wish all you pretend 'small government' types would keep government out of women's bodies and out of the bedroom.
Read the bill, not the HuffPo's interpretation of the bill, then let us all know what is unconstitutional about it.

If you want to know the terrible thing they did today, the horrible act you call hypocritical.....this terrible act the House GOP members have done to prevent what is pictured at this link.....go ahead and view it and tell me what's so terrible about what they did: Partial-Birth Abortion Illustrations

Even the name. Partial birth abortion. Holy toledo. Partial birth. I wouldn't do this to a dog or a cat or a bird or a cricket. I could not be that cruel.

Makes my skin crawl.

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

Protect Life Act Passes House: Congress Passes Controversial Anti-Abortion Bill

I see the right is still focused like a laser on job creation

You must be a male.

At two months you feel the stirring. At three months I have no idea but all of a sudden they start to rock.

At 4 months you are talking party time because the soul that is in you starts really going for it.

Trust me by 9 months they are doing dances to Madonna/Queen/ and freaking Elton John. Holy toledo. You try to keep a plate on your belly at 9 months and we are talking the kid inside you is kicking it off.

she's female. as am i.

and thanks for the descriptions... totally and completely unnecessary and irrelevant to the unconstitutional trash proposed by the rightwingnut loons in the House.

now i wish all you pretend 'small government' types would keep government out of women's bodies and out of the bedroom.
Read the bill, not the HuffPo's interpretation of the bill, then let us all know what is unconstitutional about it.

they're using this bill to undermine roe. i would make the argument that's unconstitutional.

and i have read the bill. ultimately, it doesn't matter though. like all of the other window dressing the nutters in the House toss their base, it won't pass the senate

Ok ... but that's not what this is about. Allow me to quote the important part.

Meaning, a woman could have zero intentions of ever having an abortion, but she would still not be allowed to buy a plan she wants, because of what the plan offers.

Anti-choice is taking on a whole new meaning.
So says the HuffPo, but that's not what the bill says:

3/17/2011--Reported to House amended, Part I. Protect Life Act - Amends the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) to prohibit federal funds from being to used to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion services. (Currently, federal funds cannot be used for abortion services and plans receiving federal funds must keep federal funds segregated from any funds for abortion services.) Requires any qualified health benefit plan offered through an Exchange that includes coverage for abortions to also offer a qualified health benefit plan through the Exchange that is identical in every respect except that it does not cover abortions. Prohibits a federal agency or program and any state or local government that receives federal financial assistance under PPACA from requiring any health plan created or regulated under PPACA to discriminate against any institutional or individual health care entity based on the entity's refusal to undergo training in the performance of induced abortions, require or provide such training, or refer for such training. Creates a cause of action for any violations of the abortion provisions of PPACA. Gives federal courts jurisdiction to prevent and redress actual or threatened violations of such provisions by issuing any form of legal or equitable relief, including injunctions and orders preventing the disbursement of all or a portion of federal financial assistance until the prohibited conduct has ceased. Gives standing to institute an action to affected health care entities and the Attorney General. Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to designate the Director of the Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to receive and investigate complaints alleging a violation of PPACA abortion provisions. Requires the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to ensure that no multistate qualified health plan offered in an Exchange provides coverage of abortion services.​
HR 358: Protect Life Act, Summary

I bolded the pertinent part.

It looks like the HuffPo is telling porkie pies.

Bah! Stupid HuffPo!

Thanks for the info! After reading the text, I actually have no problem with this bill. It doesn't seem to attack women as much as I first thought.
I never, EVER, take anything that the HuffPo says at face value. I check on everything I read there, and that's why I went to the bill itself.

The HuffPo rarely fails to reinforce the need to check on what they write.

You must be a male.

she's female. as am i.

for the record... i LOVED being pregnant. but it was MY choice... not some rightwingnut loon's.

But, but who would "monitor" such things for the Puritan right - James O'Keefe, Breitbart, Fox News...?

If you want to know the terrible thing they did today, the horrible act you call hypocritical.....this terrible act the House GOP members have done to prevent what is pictured at this link.....go ahead and view it and tell me what's so terrible about what they did: Partial-Birth Abortion Illustrations

Even the name. Partial birth abortion. Holy toledo. Partial birth. I wouldn't do this to a dog or a cat or a bird or a cricket. I could not be that cruel.

Makes my skin crawl.

awwwwww... poor baby. you do know that the number is miniscule, right? and used to save women's lives... or not to force a woman to go through a dangerous delivery when it is clear the baby won't survive.

it's between a woman and her doctor.

i'm pretty sure that darryl issa's judgment doesn't trump a doctor's.

i love when "small government" people think government should interfere in the most personal of decisions.

Makes my skin crawl.

awwwwww... poor baby. you do know that the number is miniscule, right? and used to save women's lives... or not to force a woman to go through a dangerous delivery when it is clear the baby won't survive.

i love when "small government" people think government should interfere in the most personal of decisions.

Bull crap Jill.

You can always have a C-section.

A Partial-birth pulls the baby most of the way out and drills a hole in the skull sucking their brains out. Looks to me like the mother is able to give birth to the baby that way and they're just trying not to be accused of outright murder.

Last edited:
So says the HuffPo, but that's not what the bill says:

3/17/2011--Reported to House amended, Part I. Protect Life Act - Amends the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) to prohibit federal funds from being to used to cover any part of the costs of any health plan that includes coverage of abortion services. (Currently, federal funds cannot be used for abortion services and plans receiving federal funds must keep federal funds segregated from any funds for abortion services.) Requires any qualified health benefit plan offered through an Exchange that includes coverage for abortions to also offer a qualified health benefit plan through the Exchange that is identical in every respect except that it does not cover abortions. Prohibits a federal agency or program and any state or local government that receives federal financial assistance under PPACA from requiring any health plan created or regulated under PPACA to discriminate against any institutional or individual health care entity based on the entity's refusal to undergo training in the performance of induced abortions, require or provide such training, or refer for such training. Creates a cause of action for any violations of the abortion provisions of PPACA. Gives federal courts jurisdiction to prevent and redress actual or threatened violations of such provisions by issuing any form of legal or equitable relief, including injunctions and orders preventing the disbursement of all or a portion of federal financial assistance until the prohibited conduct has ceased. Gives standing to institute an action to affected health care entities and the Attorney General. Requires the Secretary of Health and Human Services to designate the Director of the Office for Civil Rights of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to receive and investigate complaints alleging a violation of PPACA abortion provisions. Requires the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to ensure that no multistate qualified health plan offered in an Exchange provides coverage of abortion services.​
HR 358: Protect Life Act, Summary

I bolded the pertinent part.

It looks like the HuffPo is telling porkie pies.

Bah! Stupid HuffPo!

Thanks for the info! After reading the text, I actually have no problem with this bill. It doesn't seem to attack women as much as I first thought.
I never, EVER, take anything that the HuffPo says at face value. I check on everything I read there, and that's why I went to the bill itself.The HuffPo rarely fails to reinforce the need to check on what they write.

Actually, HuffPo almost always provides supporting links to sources - AS IT DID IN THIS CASE.

Roe v. Wade is the law of the land. However, since the anti-choicers don't have the political muscle to overturn it, they zealously try to undermine it through the back door. Righties only respect laws they agree with - all others don't apply to them.
Amazing idiocy on display by you. This bill has nothing to do with Choice. It has everything to do with protecting those who wish to practice their religions - a right guaranteed to all by the First Amendment.

You must be a male.

she's female. as am i.

for the record... i LOVED being pregnant. but it was MY choice... not some rightwingnut loon's.

Why can't we have an honest discussion about this? I think this is what makes me crazy about this.

Why not a morning after pill? The whoopsies moment. Hey I'm slagging my side on the all or nothing.

For crying out loud I'd be pedal to the metal to give anyone a morning after pill compared to going to Tiller the Killer.

This hurts and it has nothing absolutely nothing to do with smaller government. This has to do with life.

Bah! Stupid HuffPo!

I never, EVER, take anything that the HuffPo says at face value. I check on everything I read there, and that's why I went to the bill itself.The HuffPo rarely fails to reinforce the need to check on what they write.

Actually, HuffPo almost always provides supporting links to sources - AS IT DID IN THIS CASE.
And they provided NO link to the bill itself. I understand why, too - they lied about the content of the bill, and you lapped it right up.

Idiot.

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- After an emotional floor debate, the House of Representatives on Thursday passed the so-called Protect Life Act, which prohibits women from buying health insurance plans that cover abortion under the Affordable Care Act and makes it legal for hospitals to deny abortions to pregnant women with life-threatening conditions.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), a proponent of the bill, told voters last week that its purpose is "to ensure that no taxpayer dollars flow to health care plans that cover abortion and no health care worker has to participate in abortions against their will."

In fact, the Affordable Care Act already keeps public dollars separate from the private insurance payments that cover abortion. A federal judge ruled in August that the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List had to stop making the claim on its website that "Obamacare" subsidizes abortions because the assertion is false.

Protect Life Act Passes House: Congress Passes Controversial Anti-Abortion Bill

Look at that, federal government grabbing more power, and denying states more rights. Another mandate from our rulers to the east.

Every day is another trajedy for freedom.

You must be a male.

she's female. as am i.

Why can't we have an honest discussion about this? I think this is what makes me crazy about this.

Why not a morning after pill? The whoopsies moment. Hey I'm slagging my side on the all or nothing.

For crying out loud I'd be pedal to the metal to give anyone a morning after pill compared to going to Tiller the Killer.

This hurts and it has nothing absolutely nothing to do with smaller government. This has to do with life.

Tiller the Killer? You mean that Christian man who saved so many women's lives and was murdered in his church? Is that the Tiller the Killer you mean?

Makes my skin crawl.

Bull crap Jill.

You can always have a C-section.

A Partial-birth pulls the baby most of the way out and drills a hole in the skull sucking their brains out. Looks to me like the mother is able to give birth to the baby that way.

Do they not know what they are doing? Or do they just not care? And that's cold. Oh boy that's cold.

there is no "honest discussion" with someone who, instead of talking about the vile and disgusting nature of a bill that would allow a woman to die rather than provide a life-saving abortion, starts ranting and raving about "partial birth abortion" which is almost non-existent as a problem.

there is no such thing as "partial birth abortion" that is a term made up by anti-choicers who would allow a woman to die rather than help her and terminate a pregnancy.

it's D&X... dilation and extraction.

and, frankly, i'm not interested in having someone else make my moral choices for me... particularly when i've never found anyone who makes them better for me than i do.

Forum List

Back