U.S. Govt Film Depicts WWII Japanese Internment Differently Than You Were Taught

Okay, well at least I have some reason to believe you are sincerely misinformed and not simply trolling.

I am not misinformed, I am a history nerd

Here, submitted for your consideration..

That there were hysterical fears of invasion by some does not refute my point any more than the hysterical fears of a Martian invasion during the broadcast of the War of the Worlds would make those fears a real possibility. Shelling by submarines is NOT a full scale invasion of the West Coast. Balloon Bombs are not a full scale invasion of the West Coast. Panic is oft times irrational. I do not dispute that some... even many... irrational people or fearful people without a fuller appreciation of the facts might be afraid of an invasion.

(snip)
Within days of the attack on Hawaii, Japanese submarines were attacking merchant ships off California's coast reinforcing those fears. Wild rumors circulated of Japanese invasion fleets being seen in California water and of actual Japanese landings. (snip)

The German wolfpack attacks in the Gulf and along the Eastern Seaboard where significantly more effective and more numerous... yet no knowledgeable person believed the Germans capable of invading the US, even though the Atlantic is not nearly as wide as the Pacific and the Germans were a much more formidable foe... heck the Germans could not even pull of an invasion of England.

Reporting that there were wild fears and unsubstantiated rumors of invasion simply does not refute my contention that no knowledgeable person considered a full scale invasion of the West Coast possible.

Okay, well at least I have some reason to believe you are sincerely misinformed and not simply trolling.

That there were hysterical fears of invasion by some does not refute my point any more than the hysterical fears of a Martian invasion during the broadcast of the War of the Worlds would make those fears a real possibility. Shelling by submarines is NOT a full scale invasion of the West Coast. Balloon Bombs are not a full scale invasion of the West Coast. Panic is oft times irrational. I do not dispute that some... even many... irrational people or fearful people without a fuller appreciation of the facts might be afraid of an invasion.

(snip)
Within days of the attack on Hawaii, Japanese submarines were attacking merchant ships off California's coast reinforcing those fears. Wild rumors circulated of Japanese invasion fleets being seen in California water and of actual Japanese landings. (snip)

The German wolfpack attacks in the Gulf and along the Eastern Seaboard where significantly more effective and more numerous... yet no knowledgeable person believed the Germans capable of invading the US, even though the Atlantic is not nearly as wide as the Pacific and the Germans were a much more formidable foe... heck the Germans could not even pull of an invasion of England.

Reporting that there were wild fears and unsubstantiated rumors of invasion simply does not refute my contention that no knowledgeable person considered a full scale invasion of the West Coast possible.

Please present proof which refutes the conventional wisdom from that time period that most people and the govt. feared the possibility of a West Coast japanese invasion.

By the way, here's something you probably didn't know or else you'd have mentioned it, right?

World War II[edit]

At the start of World War II, under the authority of the Alien Enemies Act of 1798, the United States government detained and interned over 11,000 German enemy aliens, as well as a small number of German-American citizens, either naturalized or native-born. Their ranks included immigrants to the U.S. as well as visitors stranded in the U.S. by hostilities. In many cases, the families of the internees were allowed to remain together at internment camps in the U.S. In other cases, families were separated. Limited due process was allowed for those arrested and detained.

The population of German citizens in the United States – not to mention American citizens of German birth – was far too large for a general policy of internment comparable to that used in the case of the Japanese in America.[23] Instead, German citizens were detained and evicted from coastal areas on an individual basis. The War Department considered mass expulsions from coastal areas for reasons of military security, but never executed such plans.[24]

A total of 11,507 Germans and German-Americans were interned during the war, accounting for 36% of the total internments under the Justice Department's Enemy Alien Control Program, but far less than the 110,000 Japanese-Americans interned.[25] Such internments began with the detention of 1,260 Germans shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor.[26] Of the 254 persons evicted from coastal areas, the majority were German.[27]

In addition, over 4,500 ethnic Germans were brought to the U.S. from Latin America and similarly detained. The Federal Bureau of Investigation drafted a list of Germans in fifteen Latin American countries whom it suspected of subversive activities and, following the attack on Pearl Harbor, demanded their eviction to the U.S. for detention.[28] The countries that responded expelled 4,058 people.[29] Some 10% to 15% were Nazi party members, including approximately a dozen who were recruiters for the NSDAP/AO, roughly the overseas arm of the Nazi party. Just eight were people suspected of espionage.[30] Also transferred were some 81 Jewish Germans who had recently fled persecution in Nazi Germany.[30] Many had been residents of Latin America for years, some for decades.[30] In some instances, corrupt Latin American officials took the opportunity to seize their property. Sometimes financial rewards paid by American intelligence led to someone's identification and expulsion.[30] Several countries did not participate in the program, while others operated their own detention facilities.[30][31]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-American_internment

Last edited:

(snip)

People when scared lose some of their ability to reason, and after Pearl Harbor many people were scared but they did know the Japanese did it and the Japanese were the enemy and the Japanese were to be feared. feared and hated. And here walking about were Japanese, Japanese/Americans if you will, but Japanese to the American people. It would not take much to rile up people to take revenge on those Japanese. Our history is filled with these Elm Street incidents. We shot our own students at Kent State, and a good loyal Japanese American could be in real danger after Pearl Harbor.

War is the health of the state. And no POTUS knew that better than the feeble minded Soviet controlled FDR.

He like all our presidents in war time, dictated unconstitutional acts like the internment of American Japanese. Apparently some Americans today are perfectly fine with this. Is it any wonder we now suffer under the dictates of a small elite when so many Americans will gladly be ruled by them?

If we have another war the size and scope of WWII we will in all probability lose for a time some of our Constitutional rights as has happened before. The Adams administration took away our rights to criticize the government and it wasn't even a war, nice peaceful period, but bingo they were gone. Lincoln took away rights, Wilson took away rights, FDR took away rights, and few are happy about it but it happens. But when the war was over the rights came back and some were hurt but the nation was still here and still free.

Exactly and what were the consequences of most of America's wars? In nearly all our wars the political class pushed us to war for their gain. The consequences were death, destruction, and incredible suffering. But also, wealth and power gained by a small elite.

A leader....a real leader avoids war at all costs rather than deceitfully set up events to push the nation into war, as was done by many of our presidents.

War must be avoided because in the end, war only benefits the powerful at the expense of the people. The people lose their lives and their liberty.

In summary, war is a failure of leadership.

Last edited:
It is so easy now to sit in our easy chairs and recreate that period in American history and plan what we would have done, but at the time fear was rampant on the coast.

It's apparently easy for some people of low character to make excuses for that POS FDR because their partisan obstinacy and need for hero-worship are more important to them than the very principles upon which this great nation was founded.

:fu:

You sound like a poster who knows he would have been targeted by the Govt.

:confused: What the hell are you talking about?

a good loyal Japanese American could be in real danger after Pearl Harbor.

I'm sure you'd accept that kind (or any other) of rationale if soldiers showed up on your porch one morning, pointed rifles at your head, and hauled you and your family off to a concentration camp. :rolleyes: Douche.

I'm an American and he shit upon the Constitution. If you don't have a problem with throwing innocent Americans into concentration camps, then you're not a real American.

Yeah, your outrage is noted.

Your un-American indifference is noted, traitor.

Nope. Just tired of Jihadists using our laws and our Constitution to make progress toward eliminating our laws and our Constitution.

I'd throw someone like you in the camp and I'd make you the camp entertainment director.

You are such a joke.

:)

Say what? The new justification for FDR's internment policy was actually good for Japanese Americans because it prevented them from being bullied by "white boys with deadly weapons"? That is such a shocking dangerous disrespectful opinion that it defies understanding on a dozen levels.

Yeah, your outrage is noted.

Your un-American indifference is noted, traitor.

Nope. Just tired of Jihadists using our laws and our Constitution to make progress toward eliminating our laws and our Constitution.

What the hell do "jihadists" have to do with this thread? You drunk again?

If you're worried about the Constitution you should be most concerned about what happens when the likes of FDR or obama get their hands on it. AND, you shouldn't be playing nuthugger to that lunatic who wants to void the 1st Amendment on those other threads.

I'm sure you'd accept that kind (or any other) of rationale if soldiers showed up on your porch one morning, pointed rifles at your head, and hauled you and your family off to a concentration camp. :rolleyes: Douche.

It was done to the Japanese/Americans and done to many people throughout history.
How many Americans opposed the internment centers, how many Congressmen opposed the centers, how many, you name them, opposed any of process? In one survey of Americans on the coast only one out of ten citizens opposed.
Today in the cool and safety of the Elm trees we oppose. Too late

If I told you once I told you a thousand times, you keep rolling your eyes and they're gonna stay that way.

There are a couple of issues about the illegal internment of the Japanese that the low information FDR defenders have apparently chosen not to recognize. The internment wasn't universal. Hawaii was a hotbed for Japanese espionage but the administration needed the Japanese to make coffee for the Admirals so there was no internment policy in Hawaii or most of the US. The reason for targeting the Japanese in California might have had more to do with sleazy land speculators than US security. Upon notification that they would be imprisoned the Japanese had only a couple of days to rid themselves of most of their possessions and their property which was sold cheap. If only illegal aliens were rounded up it might seem logical but for the first time in history American citizens were herded up and placed behind barbed wire and armed guard towers without the slightest attempt at offering them their Constitutional guarantees of due process. The most incredible phenomenon that ever happened in modern civilization is the fact that the Japanese internment is still justified in the minds of low information brainwashed Americans who still defend FDR.

It was done to the Japanese/Americans and done to many people throughout history.

Oh, so it's ok then? You can still feel good about humping your FDR blow up doll? You have no principles and you are not an American.

Oh, so it's ok then? You can still feel good about humping your FDR blow up doll? You have no principles and you are not an American.

Maybe a grown up American that understands what went on during that period and while it was wrong, in retrospect it was understandable. The safety of the nation came first. It was also a lesson in that if similar circumstances occurred it would probably happen again.
As to your comment about humping an FDR doll, how old are you?

Maybe a grown up American that understands what went on during that period and while it was wrong, in retrospect it was understandable.

A grown up REAL American understands what America was founded upon and what it stands for. You clearly don't.

Maybe a grown up American that understands what went on during that period and while it was wrong, in retrospect it was understandable.

A grown up REAL American understands what America was founded upon and what it stands for. You clearly don't.

OK, so suddenly it's change the subject time to your version of a real American,
maybe stop editing posts.
So in your new real American posture want to explain why Jefferson changed Locke's property to pursuit of happiness?

OK, so suddenly it's change the subject time to your version of a real American,

No change of subject. That is what has always been at the heart of this issue, and why a real American knows it (and that fucking scumbag FDR) is indefensible.

No change of subject. That is what has always been at the heart of this issue, and why a real American knows it (and that fucking scumbag FDR) is indefensible.

All this time the subject was not internment camps but how we think of FDR? So what of all those Americans that believe he was a great president, and all those historians, all wrong because you have defined a real American as a hater of FDR. Did you live through the FDR administrations?

Maybe a grown up American that understands what went on during that period and while it was wrong, in retrospect it was understandable. The safety of the nation came first. It was also a lesson in that if similar circumstances occurred it would probably happen again.
As to your comment about humping an FDR doll, how old are you?

I have hope it will NEVER happen again. It was wrong. It would be wrong in the future. You can't make it right just because you THINK there was a good reason. We were at war with Germany too, why didn't we round up all the American's of German decent?

All this time the subject was not internment camps but how we think of FDR? ?

Who signed Executive Order 9066, asshole?

Forum List

Back