U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

The people should have thanked him for being thorough instead of ginning up false liberal emotions of outrage

U.S. Citizens Say They Were Detained By Border Patrol Agent For ‘Speaking Spanish’

Two U.S. citizens said they were detained last week by a Border Patrol agent in Montana after he overheard them speaking Spanish to each other in a convenience store.

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez said they’d popped into the store in Havre, a small town near the border with Canada, early Wednesday morning when they were approached by a uniformed Border Patrol agent, KRTV reported.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.

I commend the agent. His job is to investigate anything out of the ordinary to be proactive and these people speaking in a foreign tongue was enough to just take a look into to make sure it was nothing. Had those people been terrorists planning on planting a bomb and the agent passed them by dismissing them, then you'd be on here ranting how our national security sucks!

You would. Interesting how when we talk about the 2nd Amendment, people like you demand full fealty to the Constitution. Now you say that violating the Constitution is okay. Speaking in a foreign tongue is not probable cause. Had they been committing a crime, any charges would have been thrown out due to the violation of their Constitutional rights.

No one violated the Constitution. Whatever constitutes unusual behavior to a LEO is probable cause to investigate. You libs are always triggered about something. See that zipper on the back of your head? Open it and try massaging a little common sense into your brain.

I believe in the Constitution. That does not make one a liberal. Speaking Spanish is not unusual behavior and does not constitute probable cause. What you need is some respect for the Constitution you fascist pig.

You do not believe in the Constitution. You believe in saying, "Constitution!" every time you don't like something, under the vague impression that it MUST support whatever it is you want at the moment.

Speaking Spanish apparently IS unusual behavior in Montana. Furthermore, there is no number of times that you are going to be able to knowingly spout, "Probable cause!" that's going to make it actually applicable to the REAL legal situation, so either show us what "probable cause" is required for a conversation, or knock it the fuck off.

In the United States, a Terry stop is a brief detention of a person by police on reasonable suspicion of involvement in criminal activity but short of probable cause to arrest.

Border Patrol agents stop drivers if they have “reasonable suspicion” – that is, more than a hunch – that a crime or immigration violation has been, or will be, committed. Reasonable suspicion requires a lower standard of evidence than the probable cause needed to arrest someone or obtain a search warrant.

Last edited:
No it's you regressives that claim a law enforcement officer doing his job, in a professional manner, is somehow doing something wrong. He asked for ID, verified the ID was genuine and sent them on their way. Many illegals are using stolen IDs. Also when are you regressives going to learn that Mexican isn't a race, it's a nationality. Did you notice the one woman couldn't even pronounce "profiling" correctly?

Which he is not allowed to do. Speaking Spanish is not a crime. HE had no right to ask for a ID.

Actually he did, they were within a border control zone. Border Patrol can question anyone within them.

View attachment 194794

It's been upheld by the Supreme Court. Did you not read the town is close to the Canadian border?

Don't get it twisted!

The Border Control Zone merely delineates jurisdiction--it confers no special powers to the Border Patrol. They still have to act under the same constitutional constraints that every LEO does.

For that matter, any officer can 'question' someone--absent exigent circumstance or probable cause...one need not answer. Cops hate it when you do that..and often you'll find yourself in a situation where your rights are violated.

Sue.

I guess when I was stopped at the inland border patrol check points, you think my rights were violated, I don't see it that way at all. They were doing their jobs, just like the guy in this sham story.

I agree..now if you had been cuffed and stuffed in back of a patrol car for two hours..while they 'check' your ID--then you'd have a case, right? Even if you were speaking Spanish and were as brown as a walnut. Right?

More regressive deflection, these women were neither cuffed or put in the border patrol vehicle. They were asked for ID, the ID was verified and they were sent on their way, probably happens a million or more times a day.

I saw the interview between the officer and the woman ..

she ask why she was being questioned and the BPO clearly said "because you were speaking spanish"

Border agent questions, detains women for speaking Spanish

WARNING;

Tourists dont get caught speaking Swedish or you'll be searched for pot .

Well, here's my question: why didn't she say, at that point, "Then if I haven't done anything wrong, I assume I'm free to leave. Have a nice day" and go? Was it because she didn't know she had the right to do so, or because that wouldn't have given her a nifty little video to gain her 15 minutes of Internet fame? Or both?

In the middle of the night in rural Montana, of course they will be questioned.

Why?

Because the sun is down? Or because Montanans aren't smart enough to speak a second language.

Why are RWNJs so eager to throw away their basic rights?

Seig Heil.

Next time speak English. See if that resolves the problem...

Or be held by authorities, even after producing their "papers"?

What if I don't want to?

What if I don't speak English?

Why are you RWNJs so damn eager to throw away basic American rights?

Over the years, the Supreme Court has upheld Border Patrol agents' authority to stop and search people in the border zone, while also defining some limit to their powers. For example, the Court has ruled that agents must have probable cause to believe that someone committed an immigration violation to search their car in a border zone, but they only need a reasonable suspicion (a lower standard of proof) to stop and question them. If they establish a roadside checkpoint within the border zone, they can stop and question anyone who drives through about their immigration status.

Stopping Americans for speaking Spanish: the latest evidence that Border Patrol agents have too much power

The people should have thanked him for being thorough instead of ginning up false liberal emotions of outrage

Yes, it must be liberal emotions of outrage because standing up for the Bill of Rights certainly isn't a conservative virtue anymore.

What if I don't want to?

Over the years, the Supreme Court has upheld Border Patrol agents' authority to stop and search people in the border zone, while also defining some limit to their powers. For example, the Court has ruled that agents must have probable cause to believe that someone committed an immigration violation to search their car in a border zone, but they only need a reasonable suspicion (a lower standard of proof) to stop and question them. If they establish a roadside checkpoint within the border zone, they can stop and question anyone who drives through about their immigration status.

Stopping Americans for speaking Spanish: the latest evidence that Border Patrol agents have too much power

Speaking another language is not reasonable suspicion.

There is nothing wrong with checking. There are literally MILLIONS of illegals in our country. We have to be vigilant if we want to get rid of them.
Explain the 35 minute detention....all based on speaking Spanish.....It's so funny to watch trumpanzees willing to go to the wall for their precious guns, but give up their other freedoms so willingly.
Detention for 35 seconds was unwarranted.
No, 35 seconds isnt enough time to determine if they are legal residents. I think anything up to a fews hours is appropriate.

You cannot just stop people on the street and ask for their papers. They broke no laws.

Tell me:

What law did a guy break when his rare gun collection gets confiscated just because someone decides it is too big and they don't see what need he has for it?
What law does a person break when a community decides he must take down his nativity scene @ Christmas because it was too religious?
What law does a business break when a customer want them to provide a service they don't offer because it offends them, so the Fed sues them?
What law does a president break when a political party decides to pitch a tent up his ass for a few years because they didn't like that he beat their opponent?
What law did a panicked dental assistant break when she gets gunned down in her car for making an illegal U-turn in Washington DC?
What law did a border agent break when he merely stops a couple people speaking a foreign language at the border in an area where no one normally speaks foreign languages, just to check them out enough to make sure they aren't any person of interest?

Try the 4th Amendment for starters. Speaking a foreign language is not a crime. You cannot stop someone without probable cause.

Two U.S. citizens said they were detained last week by a Border Patrol agent in Montana after he overheard them speaking Spanish to each other in a convenience store.

Ana Suda and Mimi Hernandez said they’d popped into the store in Havre, a small town near the border with Canada, early Wednesday morning when they were approached by a uniformed Border Patrol agent, KRTV reported.

The two women, who are Mexican American, had been chatting in Spanish while waiting in line to pay for eggs and milk when ― to their incredulity ― the agent asked them for their IDs.

Suda told MTN News that even after seeing their IDs, the agent did not let them leave the parking lot for about 35 minutes.

Wow, a whole 35 minutes. Good thing they didn't go through an airport, that would have been 45 minutes standing in line.
^ The Trump sheep immediately defends scrapping rights for U.S. citizens

No it's you regressives that claim a law enforcement officer doing his job, in a professional manner, is somehow doing something wrong. He asked for ID, verified the ID was genuine and sent them on their way. Many illegals are using stolen IDs. Also when are you regressives going to learn that Mexican isn't a race, it's a nationality. Did you notice the one woman couldn't even pronounce "profiling" correctly?

Which he is not allowed to do. Speaking Spanish is not a crime. HE had no right to ask for a ID.

Actually he did, they were within a border control zone. Border Patrol can question anyone within them.

View attachment 194794

It's been upheld by the Supreme Court. Did you not read the town is close to the Canadian border?

Amendment

So what. Does that mean NY can suspend the 2nd Amendment. It is close to the border. there was no cause to stop these women.

Yes, it must be liberal emotions of outrage because standing up for the Bill of Rights certainly isn't a conservative virtue anymore.

And once again, I point out that - as usual - leftists are "standing up" for what they THINK the Constitution says, what they WANT the Constitution to say - today - and it has very little to do with the actual law at all.

So yeah, this is all about your desire to be "outraged" about something, and very little about silly things like facts, laws, logic . . .

What if I don't want to?

Speaking another language is not reasonable suspicion.

Cite the law supporting you.

Explain the 35 minute detention....all based on speaking Spanish.....It's so funny to watch trumpanzees willing to go to the wall for their precious guns, but give up their other freedoms so willingly.
No, 35 seconds isnt enough time to determine if they are legal residents. I think anything up to a fews hours is appropriate.

You cannot just stop people on the street and ask for their papers. They broke no laws.

Tell me:

What law did a guy break when his rare gun collection gets confiscated just because someone decides it is too big and they don't see what need he has for it?
What law does a person break when a community decides he must take down his nativity scene @ Christmas because it was too religious?
What law does a business break when a customer want them to provide a service they don't offer because it offends them, so the Fed sues them?
What law does a president break when a political party decides to pitch a tent up his ass for a few years because they didn't like that he beat their opponent?
What law did a panicked dental assistant break when she gets gunned down in her car for making an illegal U-turn in Washington DC?
What law did a border agent break when he merely stops a couple people speaking a foreign language at the border in an area where no one normally speaks foreign languages, just to check them out enough to make sure they aren't any person of interest?

Try the 4th Amendment for starters. Speaking a foreign language is not a crime. You cannot stop someone without probable cause.

"4th Amendment! 4th Amendment! I can't tell you how it applies, but I JUST KNOW that it protects me from whatever I think is 'mean'!"

"Probable cause! Probable cause! I don't know what it means, or if it applies here, but they say it on 'Law and Order' so it must count!"

Still waiting for you to cite any laws supporting your claims, and very, very aware that you're probably dodging like a chickenshit.

Nonexistent extrapolation to cater to emotions of personal wrongdoing
Not a Bill of Rights issue here but just throw it in for emotive purposes
I’ve got a sharper idea. When crossing the border from rural Montana into Canada maybe just use the noggin a little and don’t be an attention whore by speaking Spanish
A different locale like Arizona into Mexico would be a different matter but that does not fit into your false emotional fodder as well

Tell me:

I hope you aren't a lawyer. :laugh:

Forum List

Back