"Typical White person"

So what?

It offends you that black people are sensitive to references about their skin color? Why on earth should you be offended by that? It has absolutely nothing to do with you.

"typical white person" doesn't offend most white people
"typical black person" likely offends many black people

Why would these simple and reasonable realities be such a great cause for consternation?

Are you kidding?

Why should blacks be allowed to typecast whites? Because of their historical strife?

Come on dude. That's ridiculous. How does a society move past its race barriers if double-standards like that are considered ok?

What else really needs to be debated?

Why do multiple standards piss you off so much?

Do you oppose varying standards when it comes to who gets pulled out of line for secondary screening at the airport? Or are you one of those that thinks 80 year old grandmas should be subjected to the same chance of being singled out as say a guy who fits a terrorist profile?

Are you kidding?

Why should blacks be allowed to typecast whites? Because of their historical strife?

No. Because whites don't care*. At least everyone here claims they don't care about it personally. They just care about some alleged, intangible ethereal injustice. That's just plain silly.

*Except of course for all the white people here that obviously do care, even though they claim they don't. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be so vocal about it.

Why do multiple standards piss you off so much?

Do you oppose varying standards when it comes to who gets pulled out of line for secondary screening at the airport? Or are you one of those that thinks 80 year old grandmas should be subjected to the same chance of being singled out as say a guy who fits a terrorist profile?

Is there any way to be certain that a specific 80 year old grandma isn't carrying something illegal on board a plane?

Why shouldn't the same security standards be placed on everyone? How do you know that 80 year old grandma isn't working for terrorists?

Not all 80 year old grandmas are harmless ladies who sit at home and watch the Price is Right while they knit sweaters.

My post was not meant to get you riled up...but obviously it has. You seemed to be the only one upset over this issue. I will sleep tonight.

The point, is that there is a double-standard. I have no problem with blacks, I know and am friends with many, but we treat each other equally and there are no double-standards between us. The problem I have, is the blacks that have double-standards when it comes to racism and equality. They want to be treated equal, so when they are treated equally to everyone else, it doesn't seem to be good enough. If they're going to get bent out of shape over a white guy saying "typical black person," then they need to get bent out of shape over a black guy saying "typical white person." Who's setting the double-standard...not the white folks.

Naturally, people defend their own race. (whic his the reason it offends me) Therefore, when a black (presidential candidate with black victim syndrome) gets on the radio and says "typical white person" and jesse jackson stays silent, and the NAACP says nothing...who are the racist ones? The ones who only do things to benefit their race, and not to benefit the country as a whole are the racist ones.

In Houston, Quannel X comes out of the closet every time a black or hispanic is killed or hurt by a white person, or when they think it's the governments fault. However, you don't see him come out for any black person that was killed by another black person, or a black person killed by a hispanic, or a minority killing a white person...he's a racist with his own agenda. He's not out for the betterment of the country, he's out for the betterment of his own race--which is racist IMO. Jesse Jackson and Rev. Wright are not different.

No. Because whites don't care*. At least everyone here claims they don't care about it personally. They just care about some alleged, intangible ethereal injustice. That's just plain silly.

*Except of course for all the white people here that obviously do care, even though they claim they don't. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be so vocal about it.

Well, I'm white, and I care. Why should I be pigeonholed into a specific typecast? What is it that might make me "typical"?

I mean, I can admit that I get a laugh at things like the webpage about "stuff white people like", but I don't fit into every example. So am I still a "typical" white person?

It's not even about how a certain individual feels about it. It's about society, and moving AHEAD, not BEHIND. Allowing stereotyping for certain races, but not others, is not moving ahead.

Is there any way to be certain that a specific 80 year old grandma isn't carrying something illegal on board a plane?.

Yes. You can strip search her.

My point is that the frequency of strip searches on old ladies necessarily shouldn't be anywhere near that of guys who look like terrorists. And I'd be glad to revisit this notion should there be a sudden spate of bomb-toting, 80yr old grandmas.

Why shouldn't the same security standards be placed on everyone? How do you know that 80 year old grandma isn't working for terrorists?

Common sense and probabilities, both of which should be constantly fed new information and updated as necessary.

Not all 80 year old grandmas are harmless ladies who sit at home and watch the Price is Right while they knit sweaters.

Yup, probably only 99% of them.

Yes. You can strip search her.

My point is that the frequency of strip searches on old ladies necessarily shouldn't be anywhere near that of guys who look like terrorists. And I'd be glad to revisit this notion should there be a sudden spate of bomb-toting, 80yr old grandmas.
No one needs to be strip searched. That's where I draw the line. But we weren't debating search methods anyway, were we?

Yup, probably only 99% of them.

I'll hold off on debating the percentage, and just say that the other 1% justifies the policy.

Well, I'm white, and I care. Why should I be pigeonholed into a specific typecast? What is it that might make me "typical"?

I mean, I can admit that I get a laugh at things like the webpage about "stuff white people like", but I don't fit into every example. So am I still a "typical" white person?

It's not even about how a certain individual feels about it. It's about society, and moving AHEAD, not BEHIND. Allowing stereotyping for certain races, but not others, is not moving ahead.

Fine. If it bothers you then it bothers you, I won't criticize you or pass judgement about that. However, that makes you the minority in this discussion so far. Most everyone else isn't bothered by the comment, their bothered by the fact that black people would be bothered by it if stated in reverse. And that is what I find retarded logic. So either take offense to it, or don't. But don't pull a Gunny and claim to be offended by the lack of offense taken by others. That's just plain idiotic.

Care to explain how that's an "endorsement" of dependency?

To implement a security policy that treats everyone equally and still apprehends the desired number of bad guys <insert appropriate percentage>, would require a lot more government, leading to more dependency and accelerate the return of tyranny.

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense to hire and train skilled security screeners and allow them to use their best judgment. Seems like you'd probably catch just as many of the bad guys at a fraction of the cost.

61J9Y0GYD7L._AA240_.jpg

I cared for about five minutes but I got over it. It is a bit hypocritical, but who isn't a bit hypocritical?

On this thread, a few skate close. In other places, people certainly do rationalize one group's bigotry or another's in an effort to justify or excuse.

On this thread, a few skate close. In other places, people certainly do rationalize one group's bigotry or another's in an effort to justify or excuse.

Can you ever be specific? Ever?

That's rhetorical since we both know you can't be, however I'll never give up trying. :)

What specifically has anyone justified or excused?

Forum List

Back