Two Die in Afghan Raid to Free Seized Reporter

KABUL — British commandos freed a New York Times reporter early Wednesday from Taliban captors who kidnapped him over the weekend in northern Afghanistan, but one of the troops and a Times translator were killed in the rescue.

Reporter Stephen Farrell was taken hostage along with his translator in the northern province of Kunduz on Saturday. German commanders had ordered U.S. jets to drop bombs on two hijacked fuel tankers, causing a number of civilian casualties, and reporters traveled to the area to cover the story.

Two military officials told The Associated Press that one British commando died during the early morning raid. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the death had not been officially announced.

Two Die in Afghan Raid to Free Seized Reporter - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

no way should a soldier have to risk and lose his life to save a NYT reporter. I'm sorry for your loss Britain.

a sad loss,

how about a rescue effort for a fox news reporter?

my opinion would be no different. why would you think so?

because ann coulter wished timothy mcveigh had bombed the new york times building but she regulary appears as a guest on the fox news channel.

Maybe he read this post, which lead to his question:

Not for a reporter... how about any other civilian? How about a child? How about an Afghan civilian? A diplomat? A contractor? A soldier?

anybody but a NYT reporter.

A Fox News reporter falls into the subset "anybody but a NYT reporter."

oh I get it, since it is one of your beloved NYT reporters it's okay to sacrifice a soldier. shame on you.

I don't have any beloved NYT reporter...I don't read the NYT.

And it's never okay to sacrifice a soldier...but if there is a chance to save an allied civilian from the enemy, it is worth the risk.

Otherwise, what the fuck are we even in a war for?

KABUL — British commandos freed a New York Times reporter early Wednesday from Taliban captors who kidnapped him over the weekend in northern Afghanistan, but one of the troops and a Times translator were killed in the rescue.

Reporter Stephen Farrell was taken hostage along with his translator in the northern province of Kunduz on Saturday. German commanders had ordered U.S. jets to drop bombs on two hijacked fuel tankers, causing a number of civilian casualties, and reporters traveled to the area to cover the story.

Two military officials told The Associated Press that one British commando died during the early morning raid. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the death had not been officially announced.

Two Die in Afghan Raid to Free Seized Reporter - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

no way should a soldier have to risk and lose his life to save a NYT reporter. I'm sorry for your loss Britain.

a sad loss,

What a liar you are. Your Daniel Pearl quote proves different.

It's pretty amusing to see you throw your support to terrorists, I'll give you that.

a sad loss,

It's pretty amusing to see you throw your support to terrorists, I'll give you that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

your train has left the station,,

so the bottom line is in choosing life I choose the soldier and you guys choose the NYT reporter.. we got that..

a sad loss,

Yes...very interesting...

Graphic, but fast. Frankly, there are worse ways to die.

I sure as hell can't think of any.. other than burning to death or jumping from 110 stories to my death. I can't for the life of me understand why you lefties wish that on your fellow countrymen.. cause you know the terrorists want to do it bigger and badder.. but you choose to be "good"

I suppose if the NYT journalist had not been saved and instead been beheaded, she would have blamed the libs.

Yes...very interesting...

Graphic, but fast. Frankly, there are worse ways to die.

I sure as hell can't think of any.. other than burning to death or jumping from 110 stories to my death. I can't for the life of me understand why you lefties wish that on your fellow countrymen.. cause you know the terrorists want to do it bigger and badder.. but you choose to be "good"

I suppose if the NYT journalist had not been saved and instead been beheaded, she would have blamed the libs.

Yes, it is very interesting. cause I choose the soldier to live and you choose the reporter to live. Now I doubt seriously once my soldier is dead that the cowardly NYT reporter will pick up a weapon and take on the job of soldier whose mission it was to kill terrorists. So it amuses me to see you and Ravi support terrorists in this manner.

I think you all need to know the facts about this journalist. First of all, he was WARNED several times by the British military NOT to go into this area. He was also warned by the Afghan Police NOT to go into this area. He was also told by the village elders to get out of the area as he was not wanted there. He IGNORED all these warnings in his self-serving efforts to get a scoop story.

I should also add that this is not the first time that this man has been kidnapped. He ignored warnings in Iraq and was kidnapped there!

Through his selfish and ignorant actions this journalist was responsible for the death of a British SFSG soldier. An Afghan translator and two civilians. I hope he is proud of himself.

When reporters come out to Afghanistan to cover the war, they are briefed by the military. They are told to follow instructions. Not to do anything stupid. And above all, not to do anything that would put the lives of troops at risk.

Form your own conclusions as to what sort of a man this journalist is.

I think you all need to know the facts about this journalist. First of all, he was WARNED several times by the British military NOT to go into this area. He was also warned by the Afghan Police NOT to go into this area. He was also told by the village elders to get out of the area as he was not wanted there. He IGNORED all these warnings in his self-serving efforts to get a scoop story.

I should also add that this is not the first time that this man has been kidnapped. He ignored warnings in Iraq and was kidnapped there!

Through his selfish and ignorant actions this journalist was responsible for the death of a British SFSG soldier. An Afghan translator and two civilians. I hope he is proud of himself.

When reporters come out to Afghanistan to cover the war, they are briefed by the military. They are told to follow instructions. Not to do anything stupid. And above all, not to do anything that would put the lives of troops at risk.

I'd give anything if that soldier had not died. A terrible loss.

o hell hold up here on the attacking willow....american citizens are left to kidnappers etc all the time...ie...see what is going on in south american.....no one does crap...so why should we rescue a reporter who had been warned and did not heed those warnings?

why did policy change for a reporter????

what about all the us citizens kidnapped in mexico? where is the outcry there...yall need to look at what you are posting...why risk lives for one person over another??

answer me that?

If all that is true then the fault lies with whomever ordered the mission. Not protecting your citizens because they are stupid isn't really a choice, though.

again why does the us intervene is some kidnappings and not all?

before ..if you traveled into a dangerous country you were on your own..you still are as long as the country is not in the middle east or at war with the us....now explain why we dont rescue them all?

explain why this reporter is worth more than missionaries in south america? i will be waiting

again why does the us intervene is some kidnappings and not all?

before ..if you traveled into a dangerous country you were on your own..you still are as long as the country is not in the middle east or at war with the us....now explain why we dont rescue them all?

explain why this reporter is worth more than missionaries in south america? i will be waiting
It was actually the Brits...but if reporters are allowed in war zones then the soldiers must protect them.

And your Mexican example, people aren't being kidnapped by the Mexican government...if they were that would be a completely different story.

A Report to Congress on United States Policy Towards Colombia and Other Related Issues

so lets turn out attention to the people kidnapped in south america.....so now the line is ...who kidnapped them?

as for it being the brits doing this...they are allies ....

i think that you are attacking willow when she has a valid point...why is anyone risking the lives of troops to rescue a dumbass...after all the reporter is there to do what...make money....make headlines...etc....

Terrorism in Colombia both supports and draws resources from the narcotics industry, kidnapping and extortion, threatening U.S. citizens and economic interests. Colombia's terrorist groups have kidnapped 51 American citizens since 1992, and killed 10.

never hear this mention....the url is above

so now ravi you think we should only rescue those kidnapped by offical governments?
No...in a war zone the military has a duty to protect those civilians it allows in a war zone.

There are other US interests involved in the drug wars in Columbia...but the military is not currently at war in Columbia and therefore has no authority to mount rescue missions.

Forum List

Back