Two Die in Afghan Raid to Free Seized Reporter

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
KABUL — British commandos freed a New York Times reporter early Wednesday from Taliban captors who kidnapped him over the weekend in northern Afghanistan, but one of the troops and a Times translator were killed in the rescue.

Reporter Stephen Farrell was taken hostage along with his translator in the northern province of Kunduz on Saturday. German commanders had ordered U.S. jets to drop bombs on two hijacked fuel tankers, causing a number of civilian casualties, and reporters traveled to the area to cover the story.

Two military officials told The Associated Press that one British commando died during the early morning raid. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the death had not been officially announced.

Two Die in Afghan Raid to Free Seized Reporter - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

no way should a soldier have to risk and lose his life to save a NYT reporter. I'm sorry for your loss Britain.

The wonder of democratic soldiers is they are tasked with risking their lives to save everyone, even their enemy.

Right makes might.

Not for a reporter... how about any other civilian? How about a child? How about an Afghan civilian? A diplomat? A contractor? A soldier?

anybody but a NYT reporter.

... I figured as much. The moment an American picks up a notepad and a voice recorder he's worth throwing away over there to you?

Not for a reporter... how about any other civilian? How about a child? How about an Afghan civilian? A diplomat? A contractor? A soldier?

By that comment you just spit on the brave soldiers who are over there or getting ready to go over there Willow.

SHAME ON YOU!

no I didn't,, those brave soldiers aren't over there to provide security for reporters. that reporter caused their deaths. just like those two reporters we drug outta North Korea.. all the people they interview and were on their confiscated video material have probably long since faced the firing squad.

... I figured as much. The moment an American picks up a notepad and a voice recorder he's worth throwing away over there to you?[/QUOTE

so in your view he was worth saving at the sacrifice of the other two..

What I am saying is it's a soldier's job to defend the lives of his nation's civilians, or his allies in this case.

And you know what you implied is that you'd expect them to save anyone else but if it happens to be a New York Times reporter that person isn't worth a mission. Should I speculate on why you are making an exception for a NYT reporter?

This is Willow's vision for America: The military only serves and protects those that Willow thinks are worth serving and protecting.

I've got to say this is the most anti-Democracy and anti-American thread I've seen on this board. Even Pubic's ravings about eliminating leftists pale in comparison.

... I figured as much. The moment an American picks up a notepad and a voice recorder he's worth throwing away over there to you?[/QUOTE

What I am saying is it's a soldier's job to defend the lives of his nation's civilians, or his allies in this case.

And you know what you implied is that you'd expect them to save anyone else but if it happens to be a New York Times reporter that person isn't worth a mission. Should I speculate on why you are making an exception for a NYT reporter?

don't speculate. I'll tell you. The NYT isn't known for being pro soldier.. A lot of negativity from the NYT about American's finest.. Remember GENERAL BETRAYUS?

Oh, and check this shit out.

The Times kept the kidnappings quiet out of concern for the men's safety, and other media outlets, including The Associated Press, did not report the abductions following a request from the Times.

The AP did not report the abductions following a request from the TImes.. Is that the same AP who published the picture of the dead soldier? against the wishes of his family?? Pretty much spitting in the eye of the family of the dead soldier? Why yes I think it is.. I thought the public had a right to know? We can scream HYPOCRITE NOW.

This is Willow's vision for America: The military only serves and protects those that Willow thinks are worth serving and protecting.

I've got to say this is the most anti-Democracy and anti-American thread I've seen on this board. Even Pubic's ravings about eliminating leftists pale in comparison.

like we give a shit about you and your anti American bla bla bla,, suck a lemon.

What I am saying is it's a soldier's job to defend the lives of his nation's civilians, or his allies in this case. NEWP,, THE SOLDIER IS THERE TO FIGHT A WAR, HE SHOULDN'T HAVE THE ADDED BURDEN OF RISKING HIS LIFE TO SAVE A REPORTER WHO IS THERE FOR A STORY,, AKA MONEY.

The reporter is British, even though he works for the NYT.

Not that that matters...how sad that the soldier died, I hope his family is comforted that he died doing his job and saving another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not that that matters...how sad that the soldier died, I hope his family is comforted that he died doing his job and saving another.

we can only hope the AP got a good photo huh?

we can only hope the AP got a good photo huh?
That the AP fucked up doesn't excuse your using a dead soldier as a political tool. Skank.

not me twat,, I'm all for having a live soldier. no reason for him to be dead at all. he's there to fight a war not babysit reporters.

Forum List

Back