Twitter has lost 50 of its top 100 advertisers since Elon Musk took over, report says

Half of Twitter's top 100 advertisers appear to no longer be advertising on the website. A report from Media Matters for America states that these 50 advertisers have spent almost $2 billion on Twitter ads since 2020 and more than $750 million just in 2022.

Seven additional advertisers have slowed their advertising to almost nothing, according to the report, which was published on Tuesday. These companies have paid Twitter more than $255 million since 2020.

Chevrolet, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., Ford, Jeep, Kyndryl, Merck & Co. and Novartis AG all issued statements about halting Twitter ads or were reported and confirmed as doing so. The others ceased advertising on the platform for a "significant period of time following direct outreach, controversies, and warnings from media buyers."

The report wrote that even with these hits to advertising revenue, Twitter CEO Elon Musk has "continued his rash of brand unsafe actions — including amplifying conspiracy theories, unilaterally reinstating banned accounts such as that of former President Donald Trump, courting and engaging with far-right accounts, and instituting a haphazard verification scheme that allowed extremists and scammers to purchase a blue check."

Those advertisers 50 advertisers have only spent a lousy $2 billion on Twitter ads since 2020 and and an even more paltry $750 million just in 2022? What a bunch of cheap bastards. :laughing0301:

Musk's net worth is $191.4 billion dollars. Do you really think he's losing any sleep over this? Elon Musk didn't buy Twitter to make money, he bought it to fuck with you leftist twats.

Those advertisers 50 advertisers have only spent a lousy $2 billion on Twitter ads since 2020 and and an even more paltry $750 million just in 2022? What a bunch of cheap bastards. :laughing0301:

Musk's net worth is $191.4 billion dollars. Do you really think he's losing any sleep over this? Elon Musk didn't buy Twitter to make money, he bought it to fuck with you leftist twats.
Do you really believe that? Interesting.

:oops8:

Why Twitter's downloads and usage have urged following Elon Musk's takeover.​

Why Twitter's downloads and usage have surged following Elon Musk's takeover
I don't need to read why. This is national news. Even I am considering going and digging up my twitter user name and password and logging back on to see if it's a free for all but I really don't have any interest in twitter. I may get around to it and maybe I'll get hooked, but for sure a lot of people like me have gone back or are going for the first time because this is like free advertising for Musk all this talk about twitter twitter twitter. But I'm sure interest will go back down to normal and now let the misinformation fly. This is an experiment. I kind of like it. Why not let anyone say whatever they want to say, within the law. And it's not illegal to lie. No censorship. Hell I may even go back to see what's happening.

They say twitter effects our lives whether we have an account or not.

The leftist have something new to collectively hate. What a sad existence.

actually it seems elon musk hates his own company that he was forced to seal the deal. he tried to back out of it & now seems he is doing it on purpose.

blame him for twitter turning into just twits.

Last edited:
As I told one of the usual USMB far rightwing nutjobs yesterday...

We shall all soon see how "own duh libs" business strategy works out for Elon. Sooner, rather than later.

#LOLGOP #TooFunny #CLASSIC

75B15006-0DFC-4129-A942-EEF0E170EC83.jpeg

Have you followed Musk on Twitter? He's one of the most prolific trolls on there. I think he bought it just for entertainment.

you mean after he changed his mind & tried to renege...

But what else does one do when they have that much money?

well, if you mean being a dick by giving an alternatim to either work like a dog or lose yer job because he has more money than god & gets his rocks off by using people as pawns; then i guess you are correct.

you mean after he changed his mind & tried to renege...

well, if you mean being a dick by giving an alternatim to either work like a dog or lose yer job because he has more money than god & gets his rocks off by using people as pawns; then i guess you are correct.
No, he means that after the previous owners -- Nazis all -- refused to agree to meet the terms of the deal, which was to provide the exact number of bots in use on that platform.

We see that there was a great deal of them by the sudden onslaught of black flag operations trying to paint Twitter as racist.

As to the OP, this is just too grand. Twitter hasn't really changed any policy regarding its use, but 50 of the 100 advertisers bailed. This tells anyone with any common sense that they are not in business to make profits but to do the bidding of the children they are afraid of.

No, he means that after the previous owners -- Nazis all -- refused to agree to meet the terms of the deal, which was to provide the exact number of bots in use on that platform.

is that why he originally wanted to charge $20 to have that 'authentic' blue check mark ... to prove you aren't a bot?

We got Twitter ‘verified’ in minutes posing as a comedian and a senator​

Twitter has been selling blue check marks to any account for $8, including our test imposter accounts for Blaire Erskine and Sen. Ed Markey. That makes it mostly worthless.​

Review by Geoffrey A. Fowler
Updated November 11, 2022 at 3:31 p.m. EST|Published November 11, 2022 at 8:00 a.m. EST

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/11/twitter-blue-checkmark/

Downloads and usage surged because copyrighted and formerly restricted stuff was suddenly available.

And now most of those who were banned will be reinstated, more advertisers will leave in droves. Why would a for profit global coropration want to have their products advertised where unrestricted speech abounds? Advertisers are all about brand management and their reputation. They won't be back unless things change radically.

actually it seems elon musk hates his own company that he was forced to seal the deal. he tried to back out of it & now seems he is doing it on purpose.

blame him for twitter turning into just twits.

Wrong. He laid off or fired the twits.

Half of Twitter's top 100 advertisers appear to no longer be advertising on the website. A report from Media Matters for America states that these 50 advertisers have spent almost $2 billion on Twitter ads since 2020 and more than $750 million just in 2022.

Seven additional advertisers have slowed their advertising to almost nothing, according to the report, which was published on Tuesday. These companies have paid Twitter more than $255 million since 2020.

Chevrolet, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., Ford, Jeep, Kyndryl, Merck & Co. and Novartis AG all issued statements about halting Twitter ads or were reported and confirmed as doing so. The others ceased advertising on the platform for a "significant period of time following direct outreach, controversies, and warnings from media buyers."

The report wrote that even with these hits to advertising revenue, Twitter CEO Elon Musk has "continued his rash of brand unsafe actions — including amplifying conspiracy theories, unilaterally reinstating banned accounts such as that of former President Donald Trump, courting and engaging with far-right accounts, and instituting a haphazard verification scheme that allowed extremists and scammers to purchase a blue check."

I can see the "Big 3" doing anything they can to put the kabash on Tesla's market share.

Downloads and usage surged because copyrighted and formerly restricted stuff was suddenly available.

And now most of those who were banned will be reinstated, more advertisers will leave in droves. Why would a for profit global coropration want to have their products advertised where unrestricted speech abounds? Advertisers are all about brand management and their reputation. They won't be back unless things change radically.
Evidently the amnesty only goes one way.

He said he wanted to give us a better product. I think what he wanted was a place where people can go and say anything they want. What's so wrong with that?

Major advertisers aren't going to advertise there.

This reminds me of Howard Stern when he would have the KKK guy on. Howard is a Jew. Why would he give a national voice to a KKK guy? Because it's better to expose the ridiculousness or evil. Put it under a microscope rather than hide it when you know it exists. Why pretend it doesn't exist? And why can't anyone use the N word? Use it! But it may ruin your life. Your job could find out. Etc. This is why I love USMB. Anonymous.

And advertisers are going to run.

Well, OF COURSE Merck and company would pull their advertising. They are a drug company.

Any company that would demand their advertising dollars only went to those who limit the expression of ideas to only those with which they agree isn't worth supporting in the first place.

Forum List

Back