Tweets!

NoAds allows you to block all windows that open up and once you block them, they never appear again. It also allows you to use wild cards so let's just say you did not want "google ads" to pop up on your screen but they come in "google ads by Walmart" and "google ads by Best Buy" etc. You can use the wild card "google ads" and say good bye to those damned pop ups.

With a good adware program preventing the installation of adware, you can say good by the that crap real quick like.

Immie
If you are using firefox, you will get no pop-up adverts of any kind, unless in your preferences you are allowing pop-ups. You do not need a pop-up blocker when using firefox.

AdBlock is a firefox add-on and blocks ads which appear on web pages you have requested. Like USMB for example has many adverts on its pages. I see none of them.

NoAds blocks all pop ups even when you are not using your browser.

It appears AdBlock and NoAds do different things.

Immie
I am not talking about pop-ups. You do not need a pop-up blocker when using firefox. I am talking about advertisements and other objects IN WEB PAGES of which, this tweetboard is an example.

And in addition, NoAds gets some pretty poor reviews:

Again, please explain why you need a pop-up blocker when running firefox.

If you are using firefox, you will get no pop-up adverts of any kind, unless in your preferences you are allowing pop-ups. You do not need a pop-up blocker when using firefox.

AdBlock is a firefox add-on and blocks ads which appear on web pages you have requested. Like USMB for example has many adverts on its pages. I see none of them.

Immie
I am not talking about pop-ups. You do not need a pop-up blocker when using firefox. I am talking about advertisements and other objects IN WEB PAGES of which, this tweetboard is an example.

Well, I had NoAds before I had Firefox and nary a problem. When I installed Firefox I never had any issues either. Now whether or not that is because of NoAds or Firefox or both I don't know.

Why mess with a good thing?

And, I don't always and only use my browser. Sometimes I do other things. If Firefox isn't running then does it block ads?

And critic reviews don't influence me. If a critic says don't see this movie, it generally means it is a must see. Critic says the movie is a must see... means don't bother putting it on the Netflix queue.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Well, I had NoAds before I had Firefox and nary a problem. When I installed Firefox I never had any issues either. Now whether or not that is because of NoAds or Firefox or both I don't know.

And, I don't always and only use my browser. Sometimes I do other things. If Firefox isn't running then does it block ads?

Immie
If pop-ups come into your registry, it's not through firefox. UNLESS in your FF preferences, you are allowing them. When firefox is closed, it does nothing at all, UNLIKE IE, which still accesses the internet even when you have it closed, unless you lock it out by going file>work offline before closing it out.

AdBlock is a FIREFOX add-on. After installation and subscription to a filter, (EasyListUSA is the best) you will no longer see any ads of any kind anywhere while using firefox. This includes new bullshit like the "tweetboard" deal that prompted this thread.

As for other browsers, I use them all, but ONLY for checking my own web sites for how they look on other browsers. I do all of my web browsing with firefox exclusively. Because it is far more secure and stable than any other browser out there, and there's nothing any other browser can do or access that firefox cannot.

Okay, installed Adblock Plus.

Things look a little different and will take a little getting used to.

Thanks for the info.

Immie

And critic reviews don't influence me. If a critic says don't see this movie, it generally means it is a must see. Critic says the movie is a must see... means don't bother putting it on the Netflix queue.
There's a massive difference between movie reviews, and software reviews from cnet. Movie reviews are subjective, cnet reviews are objective.

Immie
If pop-ups come into your registry, it's not through firefox. UNLESS in your FF preferences, you are allowing them. When firefox is closed, it does nothing at all, UNLIKE IE, which still accesses the internet even when you have it closed, unless you lock it out by going file>work offline before closing it out.

AdBlock is a FIREFOX add-on. After installation and subscription to a filter, (EasyListUSA is the best) you will no longer see any ads of any kind anywhere while using firefox. This includes new bullshit like the "tweetboard" deal that prompted this thread.

As for other browsers, I use them all, but ONLY for checking my own web sites for how they look on other browsers. I do all of my web browsing with firefox exclusively. Because it is far more secure and stable than any other browser out there, and there's nothing any other browser can do or access that firefox cannot.

I have not gotten a pop-up in so long that until this conversation began, I had almost forgotten about them.

What a shame isn't it?

:lol:

Immie

Immie

I have not gotten a pop-up in so long that until this conversation began, I had almost forgotten about them.

What a shame isn't it?

:lol:

Immie
I haven't seen one in at least ten years, which is why I thought it was rather odd that you brought them up.

There's a massive difference between movie reviews, and software reviews from cnet. Movie reviews are subjective, cnet reviews are objective.

Well, like I said, I like NoAds.

Obviously they don't.

But then, I hated pop-ups with a passion and they are now gone and have been for a long long time. What else can I ask for?

Immie

Okay, installed Adblock Plus.

Things look a little different and will take a little getting used to.

Thanks for the info.

Immie
Did you get the filter subscription?

Yes, EasyListUSA. Seemed like the way to go.

Immie
Ok.... Welcome to the world of ad-free, 21st Century web browsing.:clap2:

When you explore around with AdBlock by the way, you'll find it's useful for blocking many things besides adverts. Don't like someone's avatar? Right-click on it and click on "AdBlock Image" and >p00f< it's gone. Someone post a picture in a thread you don't want to see? Same deal.

It has a myriad of uses.

Obviously they don't.

But then, I hated pop-ups with a passion and they are now gone and have been for a long long time. What else can I ask for?

Immie
Until firefox came out with the first browser pop-up blocker, I suppose stand-alone apps like NoAds were necessary. I cannot imagine them being necessary today, since even IE now blocks pop-ups.

Did you get the filter subscription?

Immie

When you explore around with AdBlock by the way, you'll find it's useful for blocking many things besides adverts. Don't like someone's avatar? Right-click on it and click on "AdBlock Image" and >p00f< it's gone. Someone post a picture in a thread you don't want to see? Same deal.

It has a myriad of uses.

I see that!

Can I block certain posters or is that too much to ask? j/k, I can do that with the ignore function if I wanted to, which here I never find a need to do so.

Immie

Immie

It has a myriad of uses.

I see that!

Can I block certain posters or is that too much to ask?
Haha!

Obviously they don't.

Immie
Until firefox came out with the first browser pop-up blocker, I suppose stand-alone apps like NoAds were necessary. I cannot imagine them being necessary today, since even IE now blocks pop-ups.

firefox was not the first one to use a pop up blocker. but i don't want to start a browser war. i am just very fond of opera.

Are you amazed how much neater and cleaner everything looks as you browse around to other sites?

Oh yes!

Hey! I bet this will save me some money if I can get it on my wife's computer too!! :eusa_whistle:

Hehe, just kidding, my wife isn't a big computer user... probably because I don't let her near my computer.

Immie

Obviously they don't.

Immie

firefox was not the first one to use a pop up blocker. but i don't want to start a browser war. i am just very fond of opera.
:lol::lol::lol: You're right, I should have said "the first browser pop-up blocker that actually works!"

Did you ever get or use the voice command feature?

Oh and, I am sure you're enjoying all of the adverts everywhere...

Last edited:
Are you amazed how much neater and cleaner everything looks as you browse around to other sites?

Oh yes!

Hey! I bet this will save me some money if I can get it on my wife's computer too!! :eusa_whistle:

Hehe, just kidding, my wife isn't a big computer user... probably because I don't let her near my computer.

Immie
Unfortunately, AdBlock doesn't block all the pretty pictures of stuff on Amazon and such, unless you tell it to. So the wifey will still see these!

And if the wifey is clicking on adverts she sees on web pages, she needs a browser security speech from the hubby and REALLY needs AdBlock.

Forum List

Back