Turkish Elections

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Annie, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Combined with already announced position on Iraqi Kurdish areas, does not bode well:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QHP1M80&show_article=1&cat=0

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Good item.

I heard a report on radio which suggested that the government isn't in a position to enforce its nomination for president and it will have to negotiate with one of the secular parties and/or the Kurdish party in the parliament. On top of that apparently the Army is fiercely defensive of the secular constutition and won't countenance a religious party moving Turkey in an avowedly Islamist direction. I hope it remains thus.

As far as the Kurdish areas in Iraq are concerned, it's apparent that Turkey is looking at the reality of the situation. It seems that they suspect that partitioning of Iraq is a reality and given the ineffectiveness of the Iraqi govt I don't blame them.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Unless a 'strong man' comes about, looks like Turkey is going Islamicist.

4. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm conflicted really. If the people want to go there, then what right do any of us outside of Turkey have to interfere? It's definitely undesirable. I am completly opposed to a mix of religion and politics in any case but a shift to an Islamicist government in Turkey (or anywhere else for that matter) is obviously undesirable. They're not there yet though. The government is still described as "moderate" and as I said before, I think the Army would step in and sort it out if it tried to go too far down that path.

I get the feeling though that some of this Islamic resurgence in Turkish politics is a reaction to the west. And I'm not referring just to Iraq. I think it goes back further than that. Remember Turkey is still waiting for entry to the EU and some in the EU are opposing their membership, mainly on the basis of the refusal of Turkey to admit to the Armenan genocide and some other human rights issues of a more contemporary nature. I would think that this would help spread resentment among the people in Turkey, not just the government.

I think we should pull them closer to us. The EU should get over itself and bring them in lest they decide that their future is really with political Islam.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think I was arguing for interference from anyone. More an observation. Just another click for a movement towards a world war down the line.

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    No, you weren't and I didn't mean to give that impression, that was my thought, I was extrapolating from other foreign policy decisions in the recent past.

I don't think we're heading for a world war, but we are a world at war and I think we have been since we climbed out of the swamp (memo all Creationists, please don't bombard me yet, it was a figure of speech). Turkey though is a bellwether I think. If they really do go Islamicist then it will be a bad thing. They're no pushover, we need them on the side of the west. I know, statement of the bleedin' obvious.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree that Turkey is a bellweather, I don't think we can give them what they are looking for, based on the elections. That includes Australia, in the 'we.'

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Turkey will wait for an extremely long time to get into the EU, if France and Germany get their way, and they will. The reasons cited above for not admitting Turkey to the EU are valid enough, but you missed the main reason. France and Germany do not want 80 million Turks to have the ability to easily cross EU borders to seek work outside their home country. Thereby plunging the current average EU value of labor and creating economic dislocation. No government in France or Germany that permitted such a thing to happen would ever survive at the polls. Turkey can forget about getting into the EU anytime within the next 20 years. A more salient question is whether Turkey will remain in NATO. The Turks are essentially worthless as a NATO partner, given the fact that most future NATO deployments are likely to be in the Middle East or South Asia. For example, Turkey currently has a few troops supporting the NATO mission in Afghanistan, but they are unwilling to send more, and they refuse to let the Turk troops already in Afghanistan deploy to the south of the country to fight the Taliban. What good are they as a member of NATO? As a member of NATO, will Turkey be allowed to invade northern Iraq so it can kill Kurds? There are important issues that must be overcome if Turkey is to gain admittance to the EU. But in the nearer term, the question whether Turkey can remain a viable member of NATO is more pressing. As it is now, Turkey wants access to US military hardware (such as their current orders for F-16s and F-35s), but they are unwilling to perform the Afghan combat role necessary for NATO credibility and cohesion. Then again, France or Germany are also unwilling to fulfill combat roles in Afghanistan.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You do realize that the AK Party has been in power since 2002? That's less of a shift a more of a stay the course.

Personally, I think AK completely deserved to win this election, and is the only credible party capable of running the country.

10. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    just great another islamic government that will probably want sharia.