Turkey warns IAF against using airspace

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by ekrem, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    (...)
    Responding to a question concerning rumors that Israel had entered Turkey's airspace for espionage purposes, Erdogan said that such a thing had never happened, but that the consequences would be dire if it did.

"[Israel] will receive a response equal to that of an earthquake," he cautioned, urging Israel's leaders to refrain from "using the relationship they have with [Turkey] as a card to wage aggression on a third party."

Ankara would not be a neutral party and stand aside with its arms folded, he said.
    (...)
    PM of Turkey says Israel can't use country's airspace freely | International News | Jerusalem Post

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Good. Israel should not be allowed to invade others airspace. They get upset if someone invades theirs.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    cause when other countries go over israeli air space, they tend to drop bombs on them.

but why deal in facts if you can do the whole anti-israel jig.

4. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    hey ekrem, i'm going to be in istanbul... any good restaurants to recommend?

5. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    I think it is dependent on your budget and I am no Istanbul expert, i live about 1.000 km east of her Greatness.

6. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    The Turks have a legitimate right to keep out Israeli, or any other nation's, military aircraft. So does any other sovereign nation.
    If the Turks fire at Israeli military planes in their airspace they will be within their rights - specifics of position and warnings may make it more or less palatable to the casual observer.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    HUH? I think history shows that Israel tends to drop most of the bombs on others.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    The Israelis do have the capability to enter Turkish airspace, and there is a high chance of Israelian Aircrafts or drones leaving the airspace undamaged, in the case of missile-based interception as Turkish anti-aircraft umbrella is in process of being modernized in 3 categories:
    Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı
    Savunma Sanayii Müsteşarlığı
    English part of Procurement Authority Website is currently under modernization so Link to High Altitude Ballistic Missiles is currently not available, but somewhere on usmessageboard must be a thread 2 months old describing that US PAC-3 missile is likeliest candidate in that 7,8 billion $ tender.

Current hardware of antiaircraft missile umbrella is mostly leftover from USA from 1960's.

In aircraft to aircraft interception the chance of getting Israelian Aircrafts out of Turkish Airspace undamaged decreases dramatically.
    In all those radar and electronical stuff Turkey is potent, and anything from Israel entering Turkey will get recognized. But that is not the point as after this announcement nothing will enter Turkey and as a sideline Turkey announces in general its view of Israel attacking Iranian facilities.

Unauthorized intrusion is disrespecting the sovereignity of that nation and a casus-belli.
    This is off-course only talk, no doubt about that. Also it is not everything about aircrafts and missiles but combined firepower from all subdivision of Army. Then comes the financing of all this in a conventional material war.
    Instrumentalizing both against a nation within our reach is something to avoid for those within that reach.

9. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Alternatively the Turks are issueing strong public statements while winking at it in private. Turkey has a Jewish population, they have always gotten along with Israel, to the best of my knowledge, and they face their own insurrection from terrorists.

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    lol.. sorry. i guess that's like asking me what's good in idaho. :lol:

thanks for answering anyway.