Trump's Possible Run as an Independent: An Analysis

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
This is obviously causing a lot of anxiety for Republicans and Democrats are licking their chops for it to happen. Obviously if he does, Hillary will win the election because Trump will split the Republican vote just as H. Ross Perot did, allowing Clinton to take the White House. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. The critical point is that Trump knows it too. So why would he do it? Allow me to suggest a reason why he is making that threat.

Trump is a businessman and a negotiator. One of the critical elements of successful negotiation tactics is to negotiate from a position of strength. Trump likely sees the nomination process as a negotiation between him and the Republican base. By refusing to eliminate the possibility of a third party run he is effectively threatening those he is negotiating with that if they don't take his deal, they may not like what happens as a result. He is essentially putting himself in a position of negotiating power. Now although he is not saying it directly, what he is suggesting is that if Republicans do not make him the nominee he will punish them by ensuring that Hillary wins the election. This will also be important in gaining the endorsements of candidates who drop out of the race in the coming months. So, for example, if Huckabee drops out, Trump can say "Mike you had better throw me your support because you wouldn't want Hillary in the Oval Office would you?" It's blackmail basically. It's business negotiating tactics and it's pretty standard political strategy actually. Political blackmail to gain support happens all the time in both parties.

The thing is, Trump can pull it off because he has a reputation for being vindictive. No other Republican candidate could make that threat because no one would believe they would actually do it. If Marco Rubio, for example, made that threat it would have no strength because no one would believe for a second that he would sabotage the Republicans by running as a third party candidate. Also he has to rely on the National Republican Party for future election support so he would be forced back into line. That's not a concern Trump has. So Trump can make the threat because he doesn't need the National Republican Party (actually they need him for financial support, not the other way around) and people can believe that Trump would "get revenge" by following through with his threat.

It's an unpopular tactic obviously, but it's a damned effective one. Would he actually follow through? I don't think so....but he just might....and that small amount of doubt is all he needs to put him in a position of negotiating strength. It will interesting to see how it all plays out.

Last edited:
In short if Trump is not the king he will be the king maker. I agree.

Yeah...I think that nails it right on the nose. The other leverage Trump has is that candidates go to Trump for significant financial donations. He will be able to say to candidates who drop out of the race "if you ever want my financial support in the future, you had damned well better endorse me now". That's a powerful position to be in. If he can stay alive and avoid sabotaging himself I think his position gets stronger simply because of his ability to bully candidates that leave the race.

Again, most people will probably see this as sleazy, but this is just standard politics and standard business practices. One of his main attractions is that he promises to play hard ball with foreign nations regarding trade. He promises to throw our trade weight around and stick foreign nations that screw us instead of rolling over like a bunch of pussies as we always do. People love that! Well this is what "playing hard ball" looks like.

Take for example his claim that Mexico will pay to build a wall on the border. I hear a lot of people laugh at that comment. Trust me....if we had a president that said to Mexico "pay for the fucking wall or we are going to start enforcing all those trade agreements that you guys are fucking us on and we might create some new policies that might not be too favorable for you economically"....they will pay for the damned wall. :lol: It's blackmail...build it or else...and you won't like "else".

I don't know if it will work in gaining the nomination or beating Hillary....but I am pretty confident that's what he is doing.

In short if Trump is not the king he will be the king maker. I agree.

Yeah...I think that nails it right on the nose. The other leverage Trump has is that candidates go to Trump for significant financial donations. He will be able to say to candidates who drop out of the race "if you ever want my financial support in the future, you had damned well better endorse me now". That's a powerful position to be in. If he can stay alive and avoid sabotaging himself I think his position gets stronger simply because of his ability to bully candidates that leave the race.

Again, most people will probably see this as sleazy, but this is just standard politics and standard business practices. One of his main attractions is that he promises to play hard ball with foreign nations regarding trade. He promises to throw our trade weight around and stick foreign nations that screw us instead of rolling over like a bunch of pussies as we always do. People love that! Well this is what "playing hard ball" looks like.

Take for example his claim that Mexico will pay to build a wall on the border. I hear a lot of people laugh at that comment. Trust me....if we had a president that said to Mexico "pay for the fucking wall or we are going to start enforcing all those trade agreements that you guys are fucking us on and we might create some new policies that might not be too favorable for you economically"....they will pay for the damned wall. :lol: It's blackmail...build it or else...and you won't like "else".

I don't know if it will work in gaining the nomination or beating Hillary....but I am pretty confident that's what he is doing.
His plan for them building the wall is simple.
1, They get 350 to 400 million each year in aid from us.
2, He will deduct 100k per ILLEGAL on their aid package.

Mexico is faced with an issue. Do they keep their people OR the money? They WILL build the wall.

Also, Trump characterized Obamacare as a disaster, but did not make clear what alternative he supported.
See That Time When Donald Trump Praised Single Payer Health Care in a GOP Debate - Hit Run Reason.com
Also, Trump characterized Obamacare as a disaster, but did not make clear what alternative he supported.
See That Time When Donald Trump Praised Single Payer Health Care in a GOP Debate - Hit Run Reason.com

Well he really didn't have a chance to though did he? I mean candidates had one minute to respond to each question. How are you going to lay out your plan in full in one minute? Then you have to be asked the question. The moderators were too busy trying to attack his tweets than asking his policy positions. I am not sure you can blame Trump for that

Well he really didn't have a chance to though did he? I mean candidates had one minute to respond to each question. How are you going to lay out your plan in full in one minute? Then you have to be asked the question. The moderators were too busy trying to attack his tweets than asking his policy positions. I am not sure you can blame Trump for that
One minute is only enough time to take a stand NOT lay out a program.

I am going to be very interested to see the post-debate polling by professional firms. Thus far Trump has completely defied conventional wisdom. He got attacked for comments on illegal immigrants and everyone said "he is done". His numbers went up. He got attacked for his assistants comments about rape and everyone said "he is done". His numbers went up even more. Everyone is saying how he got slaughtered last night. I am going to be very interested to see if his numbers improved again. So far whenever an expert says "he is done" his numbers get better. I am very curious to see if that trend continues and then to try to figure out what that says about the attitudes of the American people.

Trump is a deal maker and knows how to get what he wants. Perhaps this is what we need in the Oval Office. Reagan was strong. That's what we need now. If he would only learn some manners... Can't be a supporter yet

I am going to be very interested to see the post-debate polling by professional firms. Thus far Trump has completely defied conventional wisdom. He got attacked for comments on illegal immigrants and everyone said "he is done". His numbers went up. He got attacked for his assistants comments about rape and everyone said "he is done". His numbers went up even more. Everyone is saying how he got slaughtered last night. I am going to be very interested to see if his numbers improved again. So far whenever an expert says "he is done" his numbers get better. I am very curious to see if that trend continues and then to try to figure out what that says about the attitudes of the American people.
**DRUDGE POLL** WHO WON THE FIRST REPUBLICAN DEBATE '16? (Poll Closed)
BUSH 2.07% (12,112 votes)

CARSON 8.94% (52,307 votes)

CHRISTIE 1.28% (7,487 votes)

CRUZ 14.31% (83,729 votes)

HUCKABEE 3.37% (19,714 votes)

KASICH 5.28% (30,894 votes)

PAUL 6.06% (35,476 votes)

RUBIO 10.52% (61,559 votes)

TRUMP 44.67% (261,352 votes)

WALKER 3.49% (20,420 votes)
DRUDGE POLL WHO WON THE FIRST REPUBLICAN DEBATE 16

You know I watched Frank Luntz's reaction panel last night and this guy said "Trump was not presidential" and I was thinking "yeah...that's the whole attraction. He is not a cookie cutter politician that everyone is tired of and no one believes. Democratic politicians are fucking liars who care only about their re-election. Republican politicians are fucking liars who only care about their re-election Trump doesn't have that problem. Of course he is not presidential....that's the whole fucking point!" :lol:

I still can't believe anyone takes such an assclown seriously.

Obama embarrassed us all over the world. Would Trump do the same thing? Would he work against Congress just to get his own way? Would he listen to the people? I don't know the answers to those questions.

To benefit from a Trump independent candidacy Mrs. Rodham-Clinton/Lewinsky would have to first be the Democrat Party's nominee.

She won't be.

But Trump could work magic for Joe Biden.

Trump is a deal maker and knows how to get what he wants. Perhaps this is what we need in the Oval Office. Reagan was strong. That's what we need now. If he would only learn some manners... Can't be a supporter yet
Manners come after the fight. First you need to beat the rest of the field. Soundly and completely.

Some of our greatest leaders had to assholes at some point.
Reagan when they cut his mic.
Patton when he led.

Trump's candidacy proves he knows how to negotiate. Do Presidents have to do that? Or do they just bend over with asshole pre-greased like Obama?

:lol:

Well here is something I didn't expect. My daughter is in her 20s. She is bi-sexual from Portland OR. She left the Democratic party after the Democrats failed to do anything about gay rights when they had the White House and near super-majorities in both houses of Congress. It pissed her off something fierce. She said "they made a shitload of promises and when they had total power to follow through, they fucked us. Republicans aren't much better but at least we get lower taxes". She is a ferocious Trump supporter and apparently among her circle of friends that is largely Democrat, Trump is the favored candidate. I think there is a bit of a "rock star" factor going on. But I find it very surprising that in her generation, among her demographic that Trump is currently the preferred candidate. I don't know if that's representative of anything or just her circle of friends, but I took notice of it. One thing I have heard them say several times is "Trump gets shit done". I can't disagree

Well here is something I didn't expect. My daughter is in her 20s. She is bi-sexual from Portland OR. She left the Democratic party after the Democrats failed to do anything about gay rights when they had the White House and near super-majorities in both houses of Congress. It pissed her off something fierce. She said "they made a shitload of promises and when they had total power to follow through, they fucked us. Republicans aren't much better but at least we get lower taxes". She is a ferocious Trump supporter and apparently among her circle of friends that is largely Democrat, Trump is the favored candidate. I think there is a bit of a "rock star" factor going on. But I find it very surprising that in her generation, among her demographic that Trump is currently the preferred candidate. I don't know if that's representative of anything or just her circle of friends, but I took notice of it. One thing I have heard them say several times is "Trump gets shit done". I can't disagree
Very Interesting. I just wonder how many Democrats were watching the debate last night and saw something in Trump they liked... I think everyone is angry with their own party for not following through or breaking promises.

Forum List

Back