Trump Will Purge Hispanics From GOP Like Nixon Did With Blacks

Can you tell me the direct connection between "state's rights" and racism?

Sure. It's a euphemism.

It started out meaning literally that, a decentralized governmental structure where the states had more autonomy and the Fed keeps its distance. In other words aversion to "big gummint", the irony of which is that aversion is seemingly associated with the RP today, whereas it was the position of the Democratic Party for most of the 19th century. The Republican Party (founded 1854) was a coalition of Abolitionists and Whigs. The latter, a party dying out and splitting over the slavery issue, was the host of "big gummint" ideas, which seeded the RP and would manifest in the strong federal presence of Reconstruction and land grants to freed slaves, the first affirmative action. But the middle of the century was of course dominated by the Civil War, which was at root about "states rights", i.e. most fundamentally whether the states had the right to secede, form their own country, and run their own variant constitution.

Slavery became the human cargo on that rickety ship, and the South-North schism over control issues that had begun back with Henry Clay's* "Tariff of Abominations" (1828, a legislation that had nothing to do with slavery) would come to be invoked long after the Civil War by the descendant racists like Thurmond and Wallace as a hot-button term for "segregation", which by the 20th century was the only remaining shard of a Southern independence movement that had originally been an economic/big government dispute.

In its time, that Tariff --- an import tax designed to protect Northern/New England industry at the expense of the agricultural South, which bitterly opposed it --- was toasted in the South, on the Fourth of July 1828, with

"Let the South look to States rights and State sovereignty".1

This is the origin of the idea of Southern secession, which would fester for 33 years until literally blowing up in 1861 -- an economic dispute. By the time the Civil War was a century in the past, the original economic question was long in the past and invoking "states rights" was a nod and a wink to the concept of "keeping the ******* down", used as campaign rhetoric by those demagogue descendants (Thurmond, Wallace et al). As Lee Atwater -- Ronald Reagan's adviser -- put it:

"You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can't say “******” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff."​

--- and that's exactly what Reagan did in Philadelphia Mississippi --- followed his advisor's advice. It was a clear and obvious pander to those Southern conservative white racists, the message being "you know the Democrats won't give you what you want -- come buy the new improved Republican Party". And that's exactly what we mean by the "Southern Strategy".

Fun fact: Henry Clay (a Whig/"National Republican") had a cousin who went on to become a noted and courageous Kentucky abolitionist; his name was later taken in tribute by a black musician/artist whose son would go on to achieve his own kind of fame -- his name was Cassius Marcellus Clay.

Your command of history sounds like a sound bite from the DNC.

Well let's see how much of this I got from the DNC:
Zero.

Why would I do that? The DNC is a political party. As such, it's a partisan source. Its website even lies about its own origins. A partisan ship will only sail where it wants you to see. I don't play that.

In the 1966 campaign, as related in my new book The Greatest Comeback: How Richard Nixon Rose From Defeat to Create the New Majority, out July 8, Nixon blasted Dixiecrats “seeking to squeeze the last ounces of political juice out of the rotting fruit of racial injustice.”

"Your" new book?

It needs some work. The Dixiecrats were around for one year -- 1948. You're off by 18 years. By 1966 half the Dixiecrats (Thurmond) had become a Republican, and the other half (Wright) was dead for a decade. Are you insinuating Richard Nixon -- a private citizen/lawyer at the time -- was talking to dead people?

Nixon called out segregationist candidates in ’66 and called on LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, and Bobby Kennedy to join him in repudiating them. None did. Hubert, an arm around Lester Maddox, called him a “good Democrat.” And so were they all—good Democrats. While Adlai chose Sparkman, Nixon chose Spiro Agnew, the first governor south of the Mason Dixon Line to enact an open-housing law.

Link?

Interesting again since (a) there was no Presidential election in 1966, and (b) the reason Thurmond and his Dixiecrat movement walked out of the Democratic Party convention in 1948 was that they were hearing too much about civil rights for their taste after a stirring speech in advocacy of such by a young mayor of Minneapolis named Hubert Humphrey.

As I said -- your book might need work.

1 - Page Smith, "A Nation Comes of Age", Vol. 4 (1981) p.

And as history showed, all the dixiecrats returned home.

Not sure what you mean by "returned home" but the fact remains, in 1966 Dixiecrats were 18 years in the past, so your Nixon story doesn't add up. Actually neither Nixon nor anybody else ran a (Presidential) campaign in 1966 -- that wasn't a POTUS election year.

from all I've seen. the majority of the LEGAL Hispanics who did things the RIGHT WAY to become a citizen in this country. is against giving any FAVORS to the Illegal INVADERS coming into our country. no matter what race or nationality they are

You are making the assumption all Illegal immigrants are Hispanics.

Post of the day, I travel 45k-50k miles per year in 15 states and all the legals hate the free reign being given to illegals by this administration and will not vote democrat
What free reign ?

No papers, no insurance for your car, no requirements whatsoever, just come here and vote for democrats is really the only requirement for the unwanted idiots pouring in
The only idiocy is this post, as only citizens are eligible to vote.

How is that assured without photo ID's?

from all I've seen. the majority of the LEGAL Hispanics who did things the RIGHT WAY to become a citizen in this country. is against giving any FAVORS to the Illegal INVADERS coming into our country. no matter what race or nationality they are

Post of the day, I travel 45k-50k miles per year in 15 states and all the legals hate the free reign being given to illegals by this administration and will not vote democrat
What free reign ?

No papers, no insurance for your car, no requirements whatsoever, just come here and vote for democrats is really the only requirement for the unwanted idiots pouring in
If you drive, you are required to have insurance no matter what your status. Not to mention the reason they don't have "papers" is because you won't allow it.

Try again.

What free reign ?

If you drive, you are required to have insurance no matter what your status. Not to mention the reason they don't have "papers" is because you won't allow it.

Try again.

False, shows how well you know the law. People here on green cards are not required to have insurance. We were in Colorado on a bike trip and a damn Mexican with a green card hit one while it was parked. A cop shows up and tells the bike owner that the Mexican is not required by law to have insurance and if he files a report he is probably on his own. The policeman helped him get $800 from the guy even though the damage was about $1200.

Sure. It's a euphemism.

It started out meaning literally that, a decentralized governmental structure where the states had more autonomy and the Fed keeps its distance. In other words aversion to "big gummint", the irony of which is that aversion is seemingly associated with the RP today, whereas it was the position of the Democratic Party for most of the 19th century. The Republican Party (founded 1854) was a coalition of Abolitionists and Whigs. The latter, a party dying out and splitting over the slavery issue, was the host of "big gummint" ideas, which seeded the RP and would manifest in the strong federal presence of Reconstruction and land grants to freed slaves, the first affirmative action. But the middle of the century was of course dominated by the Civil War, which was at root about "states rights", i.e. most fundamentally whether the states had the right to secede, form their own country, and run their own variant constitution.

Slavery became the human cargo on that rickety ship, and the South-North schism over control issues that had begun back with Henry Clay's* "Tariff of Abominations" (1828, a legislation that had nothing to do with slavery) would come to be invoked long after the Civil War by the descendant racists like Thurmond and Wallace as a hot-button term for "segregation", which by the 20th century was the only remaining shard of a Southern independence movement that had originally been an economic/big government dispute.

In its time, that Tariff --- an import tax designed to protect Northern/New England industry at the expense of the agricultural South, which bitterly opposed it --- was toasted in the South, on the Fourth of July 1828, with

This is the origin of the idea of Southern secession, which would fester for 33 years until literally blowing up in 1861 -- an economic dispute. By the time the Civil War was a century in the past, the original economic question was long in the past and invoking "states rights" was a nod and a wink to the concept of "keeping the ******* down", used as campaign rhetoric by those demagogue descendants (Thurmond, Wallace et al). As Lee Atwater -- Ronald Reagan's adviser -- put it:

"You start out in 1954 by saying, “******, ******, ******.” By 1968 you can't say “******” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff."​

--- and that's exactly what Reagan did in Philadelphia Mississippi --- followed his advisor's advice. It was a clear and obvious pander to those Southern conservative white racists, the message being "you know the Democrats won't give you what you want -- come buy the new improved Republican Party". And that's exactly what we mean by the "Southern Strategy".

Fun fact: Henry Clay (a Whig/"National Republican") had a cousin who went on to become a noted and courageous Kentucky abolitionist; his name was later taken in tribute by a black musician/artist whose son would go on to achieve his own kind of fame -- his name was Cassius Marcellus Clay.

Zero.

Why would I do that? The DNC is a political party. As such, it's a partisan source. Its website even lies about its own origins. A partisan ship will only sail where it wants you to see. I don't play that.

In the 1966 campaign, as related in my new book The Greatest Comeback: How Richard Nixon Rose From Defeat to Create the New Majority, out July 8, Nixon blasted Dixiecrats “seeking to squeeze the last ounces of political juice out of the rotting fruit of racial injustice.”

"Your" new book?

It needs some work. The Dixiecrats were around for one year -- 1948. You're off by 18 years. By 1966 half the Dixiecrats (Thurmond) had become a Republican, and the other half (Wright) was dead for a decade. Are you insinuating Richard Nixon -- a private citizen/lawyer at the time -- was talking to dead people?

Nixon called out segregationist candidates in ’66 and called on LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, and Bobby Kennedy to join him in repudiating them. None did. Hubert, an arm around Lester Maddox, called him a “good Democrat.” And so were they all—good Democrats. While Adlai chose Sparkman, Nixon chose Spiro Agnew, the first governor south of the Mason Dixon Line to enact an open-housing law.

Link?

Interesting again since (a) there was no Presidential election in 1966, and (b) the reason Thurmond and his Dixiecrat movement walked out of the Democratic Party convention in 1948 was that they were hearing too much about civil rights for their taste after a stirring speech in advocacy of such by a young mayor of Minneapolis named Hubert Humphrey.

Not sure what you mean by "returned home" but the fact remains, in 1966 Dixiecrats were 18 years in the past, so your Nixon story doesn't add up. Actually neither Nixon nor anybody else ran a (Presidential) campaign in 1966 -- that wasn't a POTUS election year.

Returned home to the democrat party. Nixon did as much if not more then most presidents for blacks. If southern racists supported him BECAUSE OF RACISM, they sure didn't get their money's worth.

What free reign ?

Try again.

False, shows how well you know the law. People here on green cards are not required to have insurance. We were in Colorado on a bike trip and a damn Mexican with a green card hit one while it was parked. A cop shows up and tells the bike owner that the Mexican is not required by law to have insurance and if he files a report he is probably on his own. The policeman helped him get $800 from the guy even though the damage was about $1200.
Bullshit.

In Colorado, car insurance is mandatory for all drivers. Auto insurance regulations are enforced by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Insurance.

Colorado Car Insurance - Quotes, Coverage Requirements And More | DMV.org

Not to mention that someone with a green card is not illegal.

Try again.

What free reign ?

Try again.

Bullshit.

In Colorado, car insurance is mandatory for all drivers. Auto insurance regulations are enforced by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Insurance.

Try again.

For all citizens, green card holders skirt laws for citizens. You really should comprehend what you read before posting idiot shit.

Benefits of green card or permanent resident card

Sure. It's a euphemism.

Zero.

"Your" new book?

Link?

Returned home to the democrat party.

There's no such thing. If you mean the Democratic Party, that's another interesting story.... the VP nominee went back to serve out his existing term as Mississippi governor and then retired to private law practice, and then died in 1956 -- ten years before the Nixon non-campaign of 1966 which wasn't an election year. Meanwhile the SC Democratic Party blocked Thurmond from the ballot (for endorsing Eisenhower) and he had to run in his next election as a write-in, which he did, and won, defeating the Democratic nominee to retain his Senate seat. It was the first time a write-in beat the major political party machine, and as far as I know, the only time.

So the idea of "returned home" is kinda iffy, but the historical fact is the South (the dominant white racist conservative part) was a one-party state for 99 years after the Civil War, so outside of 1948 and other upstarts like George Wallace's American Independent Party, the DP was indeed "home" for the South, in that for practical purposes no other party even existed (in the Thurmond Senate election mentioned above, among others, the Republican Party didn't even run a candidate). That's not a healthy state of affairs but it was the reality, and in large part still is.

Nixon did as much if not more then most presidents for blacks. If southern racists supported him BECAUSE OF RACISM, they sure didn't get their money's worth.

Nope, they didn't. But they weren't getting it out of Democrats either so they settled for candidates who made the right conservative noises about 'states rights' and 'duh eebil Liburruls'. And we shouldn't fail to mention the supporting role of Jerry Falwell and his ilk, polluting politics with religion. That was a significant dynamic methinks. Prior to that, religion had had the proper relationship with politics --- none. Nixon and Reagan didn't need to work racism into their administrations -- they just needed to make the proper campaign noises to get the vote. The activist racists were a dying breed and those that were still running went to the RP to do so, once Thurmond stuck his toe in the water and declared it safe to swim in.

The defection of Strom Thurmond to the RP in 1964 cannot be understated -- it was a huge step, as association with the "party of Lincoln" had been until then literally unthinkable. Before Thurmond did that, if you ran for office in the South (whether you were a racist or not) you had two choices ---- you either ran as a Democrat .... or you lost (cities for the most part are still like that; Ray Nagin in recent memory ran as a Democrat for mayor of New Orleans, and I doubt he's unique in that strategy).

The reasons for the South's one-party status are entirely historical. In the decades on either side of the Civil War the Democratic Party was the home of "states rights", which was the basis of secession, while the Republican Party didn't even exist there until the war was over. And at that point it represented (first) the President who had defeated and humiliated it in a war it had expected to win, and (second) interlopers from the heavy hand of government, occupying 'their' land and running things from afar. That's what made the RP unthinkable, and why Thurmond's 1964 party shift is so significant.

Old habits die hard, so even when the DP and RP did basically an ideological mutual swap entering the 20th century, the unthinkability persisted. It's what happens when people think with their emotions instead of their intellect.

My grandfather used to tell this story of counting votes in the 1940 election (in southern Mississippi):

"Roosevelt"...
"Roosevelt"...
"Roosevelt"....
"Wilkie"....
"Roosevelt"...
"Wilkie --- aw shoot, we gotta throw the ballot out. Some damn fool voted twice!"
That's actually the way it was.

What free reign ?

Try again.

Bullshit.

Try again.

For all citizens, green card holders skirt laws for citizens. You really should comprehend what you read before posting idiot shit.

Green card holders are not illegals. Try again.

What free reign ?

Try again.

Bullshit.

Try again.

Where in that link does it say that Green Card holders get to skirt laws?

I had a Green Card. I wasn't allowed to skirt any laws. I had to have insurance to drive a car.

Where do you get this nonsense?

What free reign ?

Try again.

Sorry no, you are dead wrong when it comes to immigrants in our country. Tell you call the Alamosa Police Department and ask them about the accident in town about 3 months ago when a mexican with a green card hit a goldwing pulling a trailer. Your programming keeps you from understanding how bad the immigrant problem really is.

Try again.

Bullshit.

Try again.

Where in that link does it say that Green Card holders get to skirt laws?

I had a Green Card. I wasn't allowed to skirt any laws. I had to have insurance to drive a car.

Where do you get this nonsense?

Alamosa Police Department, day of the accident

What free reign ?

Try again.

Sorry no, you are dead wrong when it comes to immigrants in our country. Tell you call the Alamosa Police Department and ask them about the accident in town about 3 months ago when a mexican with a green card hit a goldwing pulling a trailer. Your programming keeps you from understanding how bad the immigrant problem really is.
You've been here a very short time and have already been proven delusional.

What free reign ?

Try again.

You've been here a very short time and have already been proven delusional.

Actually you have as it is clear you don't get out much

There was a time in this country where black voters were a reliable constituency for the Republican Party. That changed in the 1970s when Richard Nixon ran his reelection campaign using the Southern Strategy resulting in a purge of the last remaining blacks in the Republican Party and making them a solidly Democratic voter group for the last 40 years.

Right now, Hispanics are still a competitive group for the Republicans. Bush won almost half of them in 2004. Christie won the majority of them in his gubernatorial reelection and in the 2014 mid terms Texas Republicans did very well with them also. If Donald Trump were to become the Republican nominee he will purge them from the party just like Nixon did with blacks with his extremist and nonsensical immigration rhetoric. The Republican Party cannot afford to be relegated to only 10% of the Hispanic vote. They will never win a presidential election after that and they will no longer be competitive in states like Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and ultimately Texas.

Even if he were to get the nomination he won't be able to win the general for this reason. His words might temporarily placate your xenophobia, but ultimately you guys will be fucking your party and the country in the long term.
He won't purge the legal immigrants...just the illegals. That's why we need voter ID.

There was a time in this country where black voters were a reliable constituency for the Republican Party. That changed in the 1970s when Richard Nixon ran his reelection campaign using the Southern Strategy resulting in a purge of the last remaining blacks in the Republican Party and making them a solidly Democratic voter group for the last 40 years.

Right now, Hispanics are still a competitive group for the Republicans. Bush won almost half of them in 2004. Christie won the majority of them in his gubernatorial reelection and in the 2014 mid terms Texas Republicans did very well with them also. If Donald Trump were to become the Republican nominee he will purge them from the party just like Nixon did with blacks with his extremist and nonsensical immigration rhetoric. The Republican Party cannot afford to be relegated to only 10% of the Hispanic vote. They will never win a presidential election after that and they will no longer be competitive in states like Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and ultimately Texas.

Even if he were to get the nomination he won't be able to win the general for this reason. His words might temporarily placate your xenophobia, but ultimately you guys will be fucking your party and the country in the long term.
He won't purge the legal immigrants...just the illegals. That's why we need voter ID.
You don't need voter ID, you need more racist whitey voters, which you get from voter ID laws.

He won't purge the legal immigrants...

That's exactly what he'll do. If he's the nominee he'll get the lowest percentage of Hispanics any Republican presidential candidate has ever gotten and he'll lose the election because of it.

Forum List

Back