Trump PRAISES General Lee at OHIO Campaign Rally = WTF?

caddo kid

Gold Member
Aug 15, 2018
Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

WTF is Trump doing; Quaaludes, Mary Jane, both, more?

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I can’t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

Robert E. Lee was indeed a great man. Your lack of historical knowledge and perspective does not change that. It just means you're ignnorant.

• Banned

Robert E. Lee was indeed a great man. Your lack of historical knowledge and perspective does not change that. It just means you're ignnorant.

I never said Lee wasn't a great General.

You missed the point.

You missed the point.
I never said he was a great general. I said he was a great man. And he was.

Trump is after TNHarley 's vote.

You really need to grow up kid. Rommel and Von Runstedt were also great generals. Are you 12?

• Banned

You missed the point.
I never said he was a great general. I said he was a great man. And he was.

I agree; Lee was BOTH a great General & a great man.

You still missed the point of the OP.

Maybe a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong nap is in order for you.

You really need to grow up kid. Rommel and Von Runstedt were also great generals. Are you 12?

Wow; you missed the point of the OP too.

Lots-O-stupid here today.

Yeah that was pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure that Ohio holds the record for having the number of U.S. Presidents. They are called the Mother of Presidents.

Wow; you missed the point of the OP too.

Lots-O-stupid here today.

No I didn't miss it all. You presuppose that Ohioians are all stupid people who won't understand the comment.

Yeah that was pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure that Ohio holds the record for having the number of U.S. Presidents. They are called the Mother of Presidents.

WOW; someone that actually 'gets it.'

You win a doughnut!!

No

Virginia is referred to as the MOther of Presidents.

they tie the 'record' at 8 each

Actually, with the exception of McKinley, all Ohio presidents were mediocre at best.

Fox had a 12 part miniseries, Legends and Lies, about the Civil War. Trump must have binge watched it while he was pretending to prepare for the hurricane.

When was the last time a US President praised either one of them in a pep rally? Lee was no less an enemy of the country than those two

You know, I don't much like Trump, but what I like even less are people so eager to make him look an even bigger dick that they don't bother to think beyond the end of their nose. Did you read or watch the speech, or portion of the speech in question? Or are you simply relying on the selective editing and reporting of your masters and what they tell you to say and think?

Here is the entire portion of the speech in question, for your edification:

"Ohio is the state that gave us a great president who hasn’t been properly recognized. William McKinley. He has not been properly recognized. What he did in terms of trade, in terms of war, but in terms of trade, and I hate to say it, in terms of being smart in tariffs, William McKinley has not been properly recognized. But maybe someday he will.

It also gave you a general who was incredible. He drank a little bit too much. You know who I’m talking about, right? So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldn’t beat Robert E. Lee. He was going crazy. I don’t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home and said, “I can’t beat Robert E. Lee.” And he had all of his generals, they looked great, they were the top of their class at West Point, they were the greatest people. There was only one problem, they didn’t know how the hell to win. They didn’t know how to fight. They didn’t know how. And one day, it was looking really bad. And Lincoln just said, “You,” hardly knew his name. And they said, “Don’t take him. He’s got a drinking problem.” And Lincoln said, “I don’t care what problem he has, you guys aren’t winning.” And his name was Grant. General Grant. And he went in and he knocked the hell out of everyone. And you know the story. The said to Lincoln, “You can’t use him anymore, he’s an alcoholic.” And Lincoln said, “I don’t care if he’s an alcoholic, frankly, give me six or seven more just like him.”

Now, barring a serious problem with reading comprehension, you should be able to read that and determine that he was not so much praising Lee as he was talking about great leaders from Ohio. One could argue whether or not Lincoln developed a phobia of Lee, there is no evidence he did... and one could argue that Lee's victories weren't as dire as Trump made them sound, history proves that... but the fact of the matter is, Lee was a great general. In fact, Lee was offered command of the Union five days after the fall of Fort Sumter. They don't offer a soldier that job because he sucks...

Now, I don't expect any of this will affect how you perceive this topic, at least not until someone tells you what to think about these facts, but at least I tried...

Last edited:

When was the last time a US President praised either one of them in a pep rally? Lee was no less an enemy of the country than those two

Not the point son. Lee, Rommel, Von Runstedt, hell let's ad Zhukov were ALL great Generals.

Forum List

Back