Trump, banks say they're not lending, Yellen/press says they are.

expat_panama

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2011
Everyone's quoting Trump about bank loans:

Maybe Trump’s Friends ‘Can’t Borrow Money,’ but Banks Are Lending
Banks are lending a ton, despite Trump's claims about Dodd-Frank
Yellen: Trump is completely wrong that banks aren't lending
Trump Cites Friends to Say Banks Aren’t Making Loans. They Are.

--and they cite an undefined "loan volume" number supposedly from the Fed but not linked (the Fed's search will not list "volume"). What the Fed's records do show is that the total value of of commercial loans for most of the country is about half what it should be:
bnknolnd.png

A) journalists and the Fed claim lots of loans under Dodd-Frank.

B) Loan volume has dropped by @50% since the passage of Dud-Funk.

I didn't realize that loan was a big word that was hard to understand.

Maybe they are just not loaning to his enterprises???
--and all the banks in the U.S. only loaned money to his enterprises before '09?

With all the anti-business and anti-capital talk going around America's got a serious problem w/ raising well, business capital. Over the past decade the total value of all major corps + that of non-corp proprietorships has only gone up by a fourth. Comparing that to the decade before where it doubled (increased by over a hundred percent) we have to understand that recent public policy has been keeping econ activity way below what it should be.
biznw.png

btw, you might want to fix that keyboard of yours, the question mark key gets stuck sometimes.
I didn't realize that loan was a big word that was hard to understand.
Apparently so...

So, what do the models say about this big a drop in loan volume, about a 400% initial increase in GDP growth when corrected then settling back to 100% increase? And what are the lag times on implementation to effects?

--and they cite an undefined "loan volume" number supposedly from the Fed but not linked (the Fed's search will not list "volume"). What the Fed's records do show is that the total value of of commercial loans for most of the country is about half what it should be:
bnknolnd.png
To my knowledge, and I don't pretend to be well educated on this topic, Yellen cites studies that show that most businesses, on a percentage basis, are receiving the loans that they ask for. The counter point is that I think the amount of lending is not what we have seen in previous times and the difficulty due to regulations of attaining those loans. A point to note should be that there has not been a ton of business investment in comparison to previous times so there may have not been much of a demand for borrowing either.

My general inclination is that we went a bit too heavy on the regulations, and should ease off (although not roll back to how we were pre-Great Recession). I also think that Trump may have the big credit crunch of the Great Recession still in his mind more than the current environment we have for lending...which is not nearly as restrictive as he seems to propagandize about.

bnknolnd.png
should we take capitalists any more seriously that religionists who cannot obey, Ten simple Commandments from a God, for their Capital gains preference while not creating any Jobs Booms for it.

bnknolnd.png
To my knowledge, and I don't pretend to be well educated on this topic, Yellen cites studies that show that most businesses, on a percentage basis, are receiving the loans that they ask for. The counter point is that I think the amount of lending is not what we have seen in previous times and the difficulty due to regulations of attaining those loans. A point to note should be that there has not been a ton of business investment in comparison to previous times so there may have not been much of a demand for borrowing either.

My general inclination is that we went a bit too heavy on the regulations, and should ease off (although not roll back to how we were pre-Great Recession). I also think that Trump may have the big credit crunch of the Great Recession still in his mind more than the current environment we have for lending...which is not nearly as restrictive as he seems to propagandize about.

Actually the current problem goes back to LBJ's "Guns and Butter" budgets. We're still dealing with the aftermath of the Great Inflation of 1965-83 as in Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft seem like a rif on the Nifty Fifty's IBM, Polaroid, Xerox . Our national savings rate is still in the sub-basement as well.

...We're still dealing with the aftermath of the Great Inflation of 1965-83....
... a 400% initial increase in GDP growth when corrected then settling back to 100% increase...
The situation that I believe we got is that for about a century real U.S. GDP growth averaged 3%/year --untill about 8 years ago when growth proceeded to average less than half that.
fauxrcvry.png

Yeah, we all know that the extreme drooling leftwingers say everything bad's Bush's fault, but the hard facts show that America suffered a cripling econ hit in '09 and it has yet to recover.

...We're still dealing with the aftermath of the Great Inflation of 1965-83....
... a 400% initial increase in GDP growth when corrected then settling back to 100% increase...
The situation that I believe we got is that for about a century real U.S. GDP growth averaged 3%/year --untill about 8 years ago when growth proceeded to average less than half that.
fauxrcvry.png

Yeah, we all know that the extreme drooling leftwingers say everything bad's Bush's fault, but the hard facts show that America suffered a cripling econ hit in '09 and it has yet to recover.
we were recovering from an actual Invasion of the Middle East while lowering taxes; only the right wing, didn't complain about that. Only the right wing, is that cognitively dissonant. We have a Commerce Clause not an Invasion clause.

Forum List

Back