What was the real cost of the Bankster Bailout ?

Obama bin Lying

The Fed alone racked up over $4 Trillion in new debt to bailout the economy.

Even those 4T seem to fall short the 12 T figure is outrageous... and let's remember it was all because of two things:
-bank deregulation
-very low interest rates.

So , some conservative figures say it was 700 b, and former president Obama said it had all been paid back.

Barack Obama says banks paid back all the federal bailout money

But I keep reading articles citing figures of 16 T and upward of which only 4 T have been paid.

The Big Bank Bailout

This seems to give the frase "bank robery" a whole new meaning.

So, how big was the bailout really?

TARP was repaid, at a profit of tens of billions to the US Treasury.

Bailout Scorecard | Eye on the Bailout | ProPublica

Obama bin Lying

The Fed borrowed money? Are you sure?
Central banks can create money, why would they need to borrow?

Obama bin Lying

Even those 4T seem to fall short the 12 T figure is outrageous... and let's remember it was all because of two things:
-bank deregulation

Any specifics on the deregulation?
Glass Steagal act Repeal for starters.

What about it? It didn't prevent banks from writing bad mortgages.

Obama bin Lying

Todd,
At this point I am unsure about anything , and that's why the OP is a question.
What the frack did they do ? 16T ? How were they disbursed? What part of that is QE which is just an exchange of assets and what part is free money?
Then why not bail out the little guy ? Or why not just give $50,000 to every single American?

Obama bin Lying

Todd,
At this point I am unsure about anything , and that's why the OP is a question.
What the frack did they do ? 16T ? How were they disbursed? What part of that is QE which is just an exchange of assets and what part is free money?
Then why not bail out the little guy ? Or why not just give $50,000 to every single American?

16T ? How were they disbursed?

The Fed issued short term loans, long ago repaid.

How were they disbursed?

Loans issued in exchange for collateral. Loan repaid days, weeks or months later, collateral returned.

What part of that is QE which is just an exchange of assets

All of it. The Fed created money, bought US Treasuries and guaranteed MBS.

and what part is free money?

None.

Then why not bail out the little guy ?

Some of the TARP was to help refi some mortgages.
That's money that won't be repaid and reduced the profit on the TARP program.

Or why not just give $50,000 to every single American?

Why would you?

Obama bin Lying

-bank deregulation

But it did allow banks becoming "too big to fail" and eased collusion with rating agencies.

Obama bin Lying

-bank deregulation

But it did allow banks becoming "too big to fail" and eased collusion with rating agencies.

Glass-Steagall wasn't about bank size.

So , some conservative figures say it was 700 b, and former president Obama said it had all been paid back.

But I keep reading articles citing figures of 16 T and upward of which only 4 T have been paid.

The Big Bank Bailout

Well, then what about this:

The Big Bank Bailout

"In fact, $7.7 trillion of the secret emergency lending was only disclosed to the public after Congress forced a one-time audit of the Federal Reserve in November of 2011. After the audit the public found out the bailout was in trillions not billions; and that there were no requirements attached to the bailout money - the banks could use it for any purpose."

That would certainly explain the debt spike from 10 T to 18 T under Bush / Obama.

The Big Bank Bailout

The Big Bank Bailout

"In fact, $7.7 trillion of the secret emergency lending was only disclosed to the public after Congress forced a one-time audit of the Federal Reserve in November of 2011. After the audit the public found out the bailout was in trillions not billions; and that there were no requirements attached to the bailout money - the banks could use it for any purpose."

That would certainly explain the debt spike from 10 T to 18 T under Bush / Obama.

What about it? Short term loans, repaid in 2009.

That would certainly explain the debt spike from 10 T to 18 T under Bush / Obama

The 2 are completely unrelated.
The Fed creates money out of thin air, lends it to a bank, the bank repays it, the money is extinguished.

The increase from $10.6 trillion to $19.9 trillion during Obama's tenure was money borrowed by the US Treasury to fund government spending. Nothing to do with the Fed's short term loan programs.

The Big Bank Bailout

The Big Bank Bailout

Hmm ,
well , according to this document there was still an outstanding amount of nearly 1 Trillion . As far as I know there isn't any newer audit. So it's hard to tell if has been fully paid.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/GAO Fed Investigation.pdf?

The Big Bank Bailout

The Big Bank Bailout

Hmm ,
well , according to this document there was still an outstanding amount of nearly 1 Trillion . As far as I know there isn't any newer audit. So it's hard to tell if has been fully paid.

well , according to this document there was still an outstanding amount of nearly 1 Trillion .

What page do you think says that?

The Big Bank Bailout

The Big Bank Bailout

Hmm ,

well , according to this document there was still an outstanding amount of nearly 1 Trillion .

Sory , the document is a bit large, I should've specified the page. That would be page 4. I am looking at the column "balance as of 6 / 29 / 11"

The Big Bank Bailout

In my opinion, this has more to do with class warfare and those with the most gold making the most rules, to benefit themselves.

We have a Commerce Clause.

Does the fiscal exigency of real times of War exist or not; only our federal Congress can declare it so, for the Union.

In consideration of the monstrous sacrifice in property and blood that each war demands of the people, personal enrichment through a war must be designated as a crime against the people. Therefore, we demand the total confiscation of all war profits.
The People have a need to know.

The Big Bank Bailout

The Big Bank Bailout

Hmm ,

Sory , the document is a bit large, I should've specified the page. That would be page 4. I am looking at the column "balance as of 6 / 29 / 11"

Purchased agency mortgage-backed securities to provide support to mortgage and housing markets and to foster improved conditions in the financial markets more generally

That's the guaranteed MBS they owned at that point.
All the other bank loans they made were $0, except TALF, $13 billion.

The Big Bank Bailout

Hmm ,

Purchased agency mortgage-backed securities to provide support to mortgage and housing markets and to foster improved conditions in the financial markets more generally

That's the guaranteed MBS they owned at that point.
All the other bank loans they made were $0, except TALF, $13 billion.

Well, it is not pennies for sure , and I can't find another more recent audit from the GAO that says that they have been paid.

If you ever find one let me know , I'll be more than glad to know that trillion has been paid ... with interests.

Forum List

Back