Tropes Which Are Completely Unnecessary In A Movie

1. Vomit. A few years go, some dipshit director decided that if a character in a movie barfed, they should show the ejecta actually spewing from the actor's mouth, and the more chunks the better. Ever since then, this has been the norm in movies.

Totally unnecessary. You don't even have to show the character in front of a toilet. You can show them rushing into the bathroom and then the sounds of puking from behind a closed door.

Hugo Blick? I ask because I've been watching Black Earth Rising and there is a shot of John Goodman vomiting. It's actually a really good miniseries so far. I haven't finished it.

2. Sex scenes. Totally unnecessary. It seems EVERY movie has to have a sex scene, and yet I have not seen a single movie where the sex scene was critical to the plot. I always fast forward through the sex scenes in a movie. They are boring and stupid.

It's pretty much taken away from stuff I would watch. It killed the Tudor's and Rome for me. It seems like they write for stereotypes.

As far as violence, the only person that can get away with that and make a good flic is Quentin Tarantino. He is no more violent than any other but it genuinely fits in the story. He has awesome dialogue. Honestly, every director should be beaten with the Quentin Tarantino dialogue stick until they get it right.

1. Vomit. A few years go, some dipshit director decided that if a character in a movie barfed, they should show the ejecta actually spewing from the actor's mouth, and the more chunks the better. Ever since then, this has been the norm in movies.

Totally unnecessary. You don't even have to show the character in front of a toilet. You can show them rushing into the bathroom and then the sounds of puking from behind a closed door.

2. Sex scenes. Totally unnecessary. It seems EVERY movie has to have a sex scene, and yet I have not seen a single movie where the sex scene was critical to the plot. I always fast forward through the sex scenes in a movie. They are boring and stupid.

3. Gore. Movies are getting gorier and gorier. A guy is shot, he's dead. We get it. You don't have to show a closeup of the bullet hole and his brains, skull fragments, and blood spattering all over the wall and the dog and the wife and the passing pedestrians.

4. Explosions. If you took all the explosions out of some movies, you would have a 20 minute film. A short story which you would quickly realize is really, really stupid with bad acting and no plot.

To me, these idiotic things in movies demonstrate a total lack of imagination.

What other annoyances do you find are unnecessary in movies?

Yep....you are correct on all 4 of those....for me...I wonder how is it possible that a director can say to an actor...if you want this role, you will have to take off your clothes simulate having sex ..... considering, as you stated, sex scenes are never critical to a plot...

Each one of the points you mention is essentially lazy writing and directing.....

Smoking......I find that when a character is smoking it is a distraction...I also wonder why they will preach about so many different things that they want to "change", that they still have people smoking in movies.....especially those set in a time when smoking was common....they go over the top...everyone is smoking all the time

One of the most distracting recently......Mathew Mcconaughey in True Detective.....in his scenes where he is talking to the police he is chain smoking the entire time..... all I could think about is how bad it would smell, and how irritating the smoke would be.....distracting me from what was actually going on in the scene...
Watching movies on Turner Classic....EVERYONE smokes

Right in the middle of a scene, they will stop and have someone light up
They will go to great lengths to make sure lighting and focus is perfect.....then the scene will be obscured with smoke

Forum List

Back