Tropes Which Are Completely Unnecessary In A Movie

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
1. Vomit. A few years go, some dipshit director decided that if a character in a movie barfed, they should show the ejecta actually spewing from the actor's mouth, and the more chunks the better. Ever since then, this has been the norm in movies.

Totally unnecessary. You don't even have to show the character in front of a toilet. You can show them rushing into the bathroom and then the sounds of puking from behind a closed door.

2. Sex scenes. Totally unnecessary. It seems EVERY movie has to have a sex scene, and yet I have not seen a single movie where the sex scene was critical to the plot. I always fast forward through the sex scenes in a movie. They are boring and stupid.

3. Gore. Movies are getting gorier and gorier. A guy is shot, he's dead. We get it. You don't have to show a closeup of the bullet hole and his brains, skull fragments, and blood spattering all over the wall and the dog and the wife and the passing pedestrians.

4. Explosions. If you took all the explosions out of some movies, you would have a 20 minute film. A short story which you would quickly realize is really, really stupid with bad acting and no plot.

To me, these idiotic things in movies demonstrate a total lack of imagination.

What other annoyances do you find are unnecessary in movies?

1. Vomit. A few years go, some dipshit director decided that if a character in a movie barfed, they should show the ejecta actually spewing from the actor's mouth, and the more chunks the better. Ever since then, this has been the norm in movies.

Totally unnecessary. You don't even have to show the character in front of a toilet. You can show them rushing into the bathroom and then the sounds of puking from behind a closed door.

2. Sex scenes. Totally unnecessary. It seems EVERY movie has to have a sex scene, and yet I have not seen a single movie where the sex scene was critical to the plot. I always fast forward through the sex scenes in a movie. They are boring and stupid.

3. Gore. Movies are getting gorier and gorier. A guy is shot, he's dead. We get it. You don't have to show a closeup of the bullet hole and his brains, skull fragments, and blood spattering all over the wall and the dog and the wife and the passing pedestrians.

4. Explosions. If you took all the explosions out of some movies, you would have a 20 minute film. A short story which you would quickly realize is really, really stupid with bad acting and no plot.

Film critics.

5. Interminable Chase Scenes

6. Exceedingly long and tedious scenes in which one or more characters beat the snot out of each other, generally replete with gratuitous mixed martial arts maneuvers and slow motion matrix effects

You’re a real dichotomy. The last thread you were posting pictures of dudes licking dudes, and now you are railing against sex, vomit and Al Gore.

6. Exceedingly long and tedious scenes in which one or more characters beat the snot out of each other, generally replete with gratuitous mixed martial arts maneuvers and slow motion matrix effects

Here's a goodie! :113:

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

Now, that is actually an awesome fight scene!

For the ones that pin the bogometer, I'm thinking of movies like John Wick.

Gratuitous gun violence and the reckless and irresponsible use and handling of firearms.

And then the same leftist idiot actors making public statements that "we need more gun laws..."

Excessive CGI

Just because you can do something in CGI doesn’t mean you should. I don’t care how well you do it......the more you show, the more fake it looks

Less is more

Political or sociological commentary. I'm not watching some morality play, I want entertainment.

I was just thinking that.

Chewing bubblegum and kicking arse.

That works for us guys but not for the ladies. I got my wife to sit down and watch "Dead Pool" last night. She fell asleep at about 20 minutes into the movie.

Then she has the nerve to gripe at me because I won't sit with her and watch Hallmark movies.

:laughing0301:

Yep....you are correct on all 4 of those....for me...I wonder how is it possible that a director can say to an actor...if you want this role, you will have to take off your clothes simulate having sex ..... considering, as you stated, sex scenes are never critical to a plot...

Each one of the points you mention is essentially lazy writing and directing.....

Yep....you are correct on all 4 of those....for me...I wonder how is it possible that a director can say to an actor...if you want this role, you will have to take off your clothes simulate having sex ..... considering, as you stated, sex scenes are never critical to a plot...

Each one of the points you mention is essentially lazy writing and directing.....

Smoking......I find that when a character is smoking it is a distraction...I also wonder why they will preach about so many different things that they want to "change", that they still have people smoking in movies.....especially those set in a time when smoking was common....they go over the top...everyone is smoking all the time

One of the most distracting recently......Mathew Mcconaughey in True Detective.....in his scenes where he is talking to the police he is chain smoking the entire time..... all I could think about is how bad it would smell, and how irritating the smoke would be.....distracting me from what was actually going on in the scene...

Forum List

Back