Trickle Down Sucks: The Life Out Of Our Economy

Discussion in 'Economy' started by rayboyusmc, Jan 28, 2009.

1. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    The middle class is the engine that drives our economy, not the ultra rich. Since most of those on these boards are middle class, I don't understand why so many of them on the right still genuflect at the Ronny Altar of Trickle Down.

The Randi Rhodes Show - Radio, only smarter...

For those who hate Randi, please accompany the hate with facts to prove this wrong.

2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    The government can't create jobs because it has to take it's money from the private sector, which is where jobs and wealth are actually created. What government needs to do is cut taxes and their own spending, that's how you "stimulate" the economy.

3. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    bush spent us into this recession so it only makes sense that obama can spend us out of it, right?

:rofl:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    For 8 years we have heard about the tax cuts.

What happened to their mystical powers to cure the economy?

Do you deny the data in the article?

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Government spending did not go down over the last 8 years.

6. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,113
    So a billion ear marked for infrastructure but how much actually gets to the proposed project?

Lets say half actually makes it through the labyrinth of bureaucracy and I have serious doubts that a billion dollar road resurfacing project "creates up to 6 billion" in return.

the terms "up to" and "virtually" are great tools to use when one is short on actual data.

If Randi doesn't bother to prove that his billion in taxation creates 6 billion in return with actual data, how can we dis prove it?

I can say that a billion taken in taxes is a billion people don't have to spend on other things like cars and houses and business start ups and that spending would produce 12 billion in return, but without data to look at the statement is meaningless.

So when you find all the studies from all the MBAs that Randi uses as data we can maybe get somewhere.

I see no data provided by randi do you? Or is it that a liberal said these things that you are willing to believe without proof?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    If government spending was the solution to our provblem we wouldn't be in the middle of a recession now. Anyone who actually believes those numbers is kidding themsleves. The real figures would be more along the lines of for evry dollar sent to the unemployed the government spends two to three more getting it there and making sure they really are unemployed and collecting the money from their former employer and now they tax that too. Sort of like saying, "I'm sorry to see your having a hard time right now. Here, let me kick you in the teeth."

The 35.000 jobs created are almost always temporary and most of them that aren't go to people who already work for the state. That number likely comes from or is extrapolated from the 1950's when we expanded miles of highways in this country at a faster rate than before or since. And at the beginning of that period there were damn few miles of highway. Now we have plenty of highways it's just that most of them need maintenance or widening or all both. And politicianshate doing that because all they here about while it's being done is how much of a pain in the but it is to get around while the repairs etc are going on. By the way no one hear really has a problem with expenditures on infrastructure but not even the CBO thinks that's going to turn the economy around by itself.

- Obviously you can’t give it to 500 people and expect a different result. - Of course you can't it will have different result for each one depending on how they choose to utilize the money.

Sorry Ryy boy most of your original post is warmed over leftist wishful thinking not at all based on facts or real research. You take money from my employer how do you expect him to give me a raise?

You want to be poor for the rest of your life keep sucking that government teat. Unless you are a senator a congressmen or one of there staffers or a high level government employee above say GS10 or so that outcome is all but guaranteed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

The government can and does create jobs. They do it all the time.

Half the people on this board have worked for the government at one time or the other.

What I suppose you mean is that they cannot pay for those jobs unless there are enough people working in the private sector to pay for those jobs.

That is true under the current economic system.

So the real question is will all that fiat money that the government pumps into our system shake the existing money that people are hoarding back into circulation?

It might, but the bleeding wound that is FREE TRADE will inevitably suck that extra dough back to some other national economy, thus negating the benefits it might otherwise have had.

There is NO sane response that any of you devotees of Austian economists have ever fielded that has shown me how the USA can thrive when it has systematically deindustrialized itself to the point that we have gone from the largest creditor nation to the world's pauper nation in less than thirty years.

If that goofy economicsystem has worked for you so far, more power to ya', but it has broken the economic back of the middle class upon which this once great nation's enormous prosperity was originally based.

Your economic geniuses aren't worth a tinker's damn as far as I can see.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Free trade isn't a bleeding wound thanks for the AFL-CiIO view of things, EDI We have a trade prblem principally with only two of our numerous trading partners. China and Japan both of whom are jobbing the system. And Our Politicians left and right haven't the guts to take these two to task for their numerous transgressions.

10. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    The financial markets turned out to be a giant Ponzi scheme, and the Amercian taxpayer was left holding the bag.

I think we should empty Gitmo and fill it with Madoff and all his buddies.