TRAVELING IN AMERICA - ADVICE?

Hi everyone. I'm looking to travel around America and blog about it, and I was hoping to get some advice. I want to go to all over, but I know that's not possible :(. I'm coming from the UK. In the EU we're pretty well connected with trains but I see that's not the case in the US. I was thinking of starting in NY or New England, going down to Atlanta, across the south (I've heard all about southern hospitality) and working my way up again. I'd even like to go to Alaska to see the Northern lights! I've got 6 months, what kind of price at the cheapest am I looking at?

Also, has anyone else blogged about their American travel journey? I'd love to see them. I'm thinking of leaving my laptop and taking just an iPad to blog with.

If you have the funds I suggest buying a car and living out of it. You can camp in loads of places for not a lot of money. It's cheaper to feed, and when you're done you can sell it and recoup some of your money. One thing you need to realize is the USA is huge compared to Europe. Plan on taking time to get from point A to point B. A trip to Alaska is a great thing but you have to time it right. To see the Northern lights is a wonder, but that is only safe in the summer. The better you plan now, the better your trip will be.

I've been to every state in the USA but Oregon.

a, DO NOT HITCHIKE
b. train service can be quite limiting
c. Greyhound is the only bus service and many of its buses are old and uncomfortable.
d. There are many byways that take one through amazing places. But, remember, the USA is a big country and it takes at least a month to just circle the borders without any side trips.

My suggestion - Boston or thereabout, south along the Atlantic Coast to St Augustine, west to New Orleans, Carlsbad Caverns, San Diego, north on the Pacific Coast to Seattle - fly back home.

I've taken the Bolt bus many times up and down between DC - NYC or Newark. Comfortable, with Wifi too.

Be careful of US Police if you are carrying cash...they will stop you and claim its drug money [they do not have to prove it just think it] then you will be abused and humiliated and mistreated...just like regular Americans

Disregard that nonsense.

a, DO NOT HITCHIKE
c. Greyhound is the only bus service and many of its buses are old and uncomfortable.
d. There are many byways that take one through amazing places. But, remember, the USA is a big country and it takes at least a month to just circle the borders without any side trips.

My suggestion - Boston or thereabout, south along the Atlantic Coast to St Augustine, west to New Orleans, Carlsbad Caverns, San Diego, north on the Pacific Coast to Seattle - fly back home.

I've taken the Bolt bus many times up and down between DC - NYC or Newark. Comfortable, with Wifi too.
The thing is, that is only in one area. What about the rest of the country? There just isn't that kind of service throughout the country, mostly not anywhere.

a, DO NOT HITCHIKE

The thing is, that is only in one area. What about the rest of the country? There just isn't that kind of service throughout the country, mostly not anywhere.

Yes that's true. Can't fault the East Coast corridor.

Europe and UK are much smaller countries to set up a travel infrastructure.

I feel totally helpless in some parts of the U.S., where there is no public transport.

Be careful of US Police if you are carrying cash...they will stop you and claim its drug money [they do not have to prove it just think it] then you will be abused and humiliated and mistreated...just like regular Americans
Disregard that nonsense.

Yeah well if there is an expert in nonsense it has to be a numb nuts like you chump...
Canada Warns Its Citizens Not To Take Cash To The USA ...
  1. Canadian Government Warns Citizens to Watch Out for
    US Police Robbing Them

the free thought project.com/canadian-government-warns-citizens-watch-p...
    Sep 16, 2014 -American police are targeting their northern neighbors, according to a travel warning from the Canadian government.

Canadian government now warning citizens to not carry ...

Disregard that nonsense.

I don't know why he doesn't leave, if he can't bear it so much.
I am not gonna be run off...you kidding me...If I get knocked down I just get up again...there just ain't enough to keep me down ...

One thing to be aware of is that many cities and communities have outdoor clubs. Doing outdoor things with them affords more safety, as you won't be on your own and you'll be with people who know the area, and getting to know people.

For example, from my home area:
The Mountaineers - Explore Learn Conserve - Hiking Climbing Kayaking Skiing Snowshoeing - Get outside in the Pacific Northwest

If you can't find others for other areas, they might know other cities across the country that have similar clubs.

That's some good advice.

Look over the areas you may want to cover ... And contact Outdoors or Adventure groups in the area.
They will certainly provide you information on possible activities, contacts and safety concerns.
They can appropriately handle any questions regarding the most suitable accommodations you desire.

Who knows ... I imagine there is a good chance that someone will sponsor you for a few days.
Put you up, feed you and drag you out fishing, hiking, boating or whatnot.
Just be careful ... Use your brains ... And don't expect things to be the same as Europe.

Hi everyone. I'm looking to travel around America and blog about it, and I was hoping to get some advice. I want to go to all over, but I know that's not possible :(. I'm coming from the UK. In the EU we're pretty well connected with trains but I see that's not the case in the US. I was thinking of starting in NY or New England, going down to Atlanta, across the south (I've heard all about southern hospitality) and working my way up again. I'd even like to go to Alaska to see the Northern lights! I've got 6 months, what kind of price at the cheapest am I looking at?

Also, has anyone else blogged about their American travel journey? I'd love to see them. I'm thinking of leaving my laptop and taking just an iPad to blog with.
Drive on the right side of the road.....Good luck......Several must sees when you get west of the Missisissippi.....

Grand Canyon
Monument Park
Grand Tetons
Yosemite
Yellowstone

N. California Coastline.....just drive the 1 from LA to Eureka......You'll see what I mean...

Such great travelling advice guys. Yeah it's looking more and more like a car is my only option. It's a shame I didn't want to be driving all the time becuase I also want the freedom to write / blog a lot - that's why buses and trains are so useful. Plus it'll get pretty lonely driving around and I want to be meeting lots of people, it's better for stories.. I guess it's a bit of a logistical nightmare otherwise - could end up with too much free time to write at bus stops, lol. I probably don't want to try my luck hitchhiking around either!
Driving isn't just a chore. You can take your time and see a great deal of the country from the drivers seat of your car.....

Just remember to stay to the right. lol

Wait until you taste the food in the South though ... You will either love it or it will kill you.
Try some blackened redfish covered in crawfish etouffee over wild rice ... Or some good Tex-Mex quesadillas with chips and hot sauce.

Pack a bottle of Pepto-Bismol and an extra roll of toilet paper though ... Just in case your delicate digestive system cannot handle the shock ... :D

Hey OP
How about you tell us what you're interested in seeing so we can narrow down where to direct you?
Do you like the outdoors or are you more of a city person? The beach or the mountains?
Pacific NW or the desert SW?
America is a big place so you'd be best served to start with the things that interest you the most and work your way down the list until you run out of time ...or money.

Wait until you taste the food in the South though ... You will either love it or it will kill you.
Try some blackened redfish covered in crawfish etouffee over wild rice ... Or some good Tex-Mex quesadillas with chips and hot sauce.

Pack a bottle of Pepto-Bismol and an extra roll of toilet paper though ... Just in case your delicate digestive system cannot handle the shock ... :D

You forgot the BBQ!!
You could spend months travelling the South and trying out the different BBQ styles we're blessed with here in the South.
And if he were to make it to Austin Texas he could eat at the best BBQ joint on the planet.....Franklin Barbecue

You forgot the BBQ!!
You could spend months travelling the South and trying out the different BBQ styles we're blessed with here in the South.
And if he were to make it to Austin Texas he could eat at the best BBQ joint on the planet.....Franklin Barbecue

Meh ... There is no way you could possibly list all the things good to eat down here ... Or where to get them.

I didn't mention Southern Classic fried chicken with mashed potatos, gravy and fried okra.
Left out fried catfish with French Market beans and hot water cornbread.

And so on ...

We don't even need to get started ... Too early for me to get hungry and crank up the kitchen.

Forum List

Back