Trapping humidity out of fog in Chile

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
_82651856_fog10.jpg

If it works other places in the world, why couldn't it work in California that has lots of fog? Each net only costs $1k and, as the water runs downhill, there's no energy cost to move it.

Ah well, the liberal politicians will never accept it.

Read more @ Trapping humidity out of fog in Chile - BBC News

Come on, Longknife, you know that is a damned lie. Ol' Political Shit would be against it, but almost every poster here, liberal, conservative, or even 'Conservative', would be for something like that.

_82651856_fog10.jpg

If it works other places in the world, why couldn't it work in California that has lots of fog? Each net only costs $1k and, as the water runs downhill, there's no energy cost to move it.

Why would California politicians object to a technology that worked?

Prof Pilar Cereceda of the University of Chile says she hopes that within a decade Chile will have enough fog catchers to supply the whole Atacama region.

"I dream of the day in which the fog catchers can compete with desalination plants, which is not environmentally friendly."

Most of California doesn't have lots of fog- but the North Coast does- and I could see communities like Santa Cruz or Monterrey using such technology if it is viable.

_82651856_fog10.jpg

Because they object to hydraulic fracturing and offshore drilling? :dunno:

_82651856_fog10.jpg

Because they object to hydraulic fracturing and offshore drilling? :dunno:

Because of course in your mind those are the same thing as fog nets.......

I posted a photo in another thread of the fog pouring through the Golden Gate and Marin County. But up a thousand or so of these fog catchers on roofs of buildings and a whole lot of water could be gathered.

How much would they lower individual water bills.

I posted a photo in another thread of the fog pouring through the Golden Gate and Marin County. But up a thousand or so of these fog catchers on roofs of buildings and a whole lot of water could be gathered.

How much would they lower individual water bills.

Probably not much.

Little known fact- San Francisco has a great source of water- so good we actually share it with others. Our early city fathers had the foresight to bribe Congress and build a dam within Yosemite National Park.

That aside- fog catchers could possibly work- it would require the same sort of plumbing infrastructure upgrade(expensive since it would essentially require building a second network of city water) it would take to capture rainwater off of roofs.

Communities which I can see most likely to benefit- and try the technology are smaller communities along the coast that already have water issues- Santa Cruz would be a decent candidate for a 'larger' city, Half Moon Bay for a smaller community.

Forum List

Back