Trade war against China

I’ll admit that I don’t know what this trade war might lead up to. Perhaps it’s insane.

My resentment against China...
There are many issues, with them. Some issues shared with other countries, but the combination is dreadful.

It’s a dictatorship. Quite repressive as such, with political prisoners, brutal force against civilians. The state have enforced an unprecedented level of control on a personal level. They repeatedly protest on an official level about news reporting in foreign countries - to the extent that the relationship between the countries will be harmed if the news reporting isn’t censored the way Beijing seems fit.
China also likes to operate on the open market but ever so often doing so with government meddling, skewing market forces politically.

Olympics is an example where the event is handed to a nation where everything is political, athletes gagged... so when, for once, this nation gets opposed by a country with some real muscles I can’t help feeling a good sensation.

Okay, understood.

Still, Eric, you dread China because the Chinese have to suffer under that regime, and now you're looking on with glee as the Chinese are subjected to the fallout of Trump's trade war on top of that.

I think I indicated as much before: The way to go after China's market distortions would be to reinforce international institutions created for the purpose of enforcing trade rules. For that, it'd be helpful to create an international coalition of those similarly motivated. Waging a multi-front trade war against pretty much the rest of the world is, say, Trumpish imbecility writ large. Global even. So, I sort of understand your satisfaction watching a bully have his comeuppance. Cheering on the bigger bully in the course of that doesn't reside in the same universe as does reason. And yes, I know you didn't claim it does.

I guess you are right...
The spontaneous reaction however, letting them know that it isn’t acceptable and that it also can be harmful to them. I don’t want Chinese people to suffer though.

Forum List

Back