Tories creating New Bill of Rights.

alexa

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2009
Scotland
OK this has been expected for some time. One of the things they are changing is people's right to free speech. I am sure this is to allow the usual far right speech which went through years of working to make sure minorities did not experience what they did. It will be interesting to note if they do it to everyone or just those they are prejudiced against. For instance is it time to allow people to discuss Israel - the politics and actions, not Jews,

They are also going to change things which will allow them to send Refugees to Rwanda.

Now for the most cynical bit they are not going to leave the European bill of Rights, they are just going to leave the decision on whether something is right or not to our Supreme Court rather than Europe. I have to wonder what they intend doing to the Supreme Court. They will be wanting to make it as right wing as possible copying Trump. I also am pretty sure they had to stay by the Bill of Rights as part of the deal. If so that will be why they say they are not leaving it which obviously is something people will have different views on.

OK this has been expected for some time. One of the things they are changing is people's right to free speech. I am sure this is to allow the usual far right speech which went through years of working to make sure minorities did not experience what they did. It will be interesting to note if they do it to everyone or just those they are prejudiced against. For instance is it time to allow people to discuss Israel - the politics and actions, not Jews,

They are also going to change things which will allow them to send Refugees to Rwanda.

Now for the most cynical bit they are not going to leave the European bill of Rights, they are just going to leave the decision on whether something is right or not to our Supreme Court rather than Europe. I have to wonder what they intend doing to the Supreme Court. They will be wanting to make it as right wing as possible copying Trump. I also am pretty sure they had to stay by the Bill of Rights as part of the deal. If so that will be why they say they are not leaving it which obviously is something people will have different views on.
Huh?

In response to the courts stopping their plan to deport asylum seekers, the Tories are introducing their own version of the Bill of Rights. As for "free speech", it has never been as set in stone as it is in America. Even in the Good Friday agreement, there is some provision regarding hate speech for instance and the royals have some bubble wrap protection regarding the media.

In response to the courts stopping their plan to deport asylum seekers, the Tories are introducing their own version of the Bill of Rights. As for "free speech", it has never been as set in stone as it is in America. Even in the Good Friday agreement, there is some provision regarding hate speech for instance and the royals have some bubble wrap protection regarding the media.
I heard the BBC talking about the Free Speech with Raab. I suspect they got the idea from the US. That is without the US doing it they know what they would be told. Now as with the flights to Rwanda they are working to attract the same sort of people as Trump though they haven't started religion yet.

If there is a bit you don't understand tell me and I will try to write it simpler.
In the States democrats salivate about a new Bill of Rights as well, only, it is to empower the state

FDR presented them, such as a right to a "fair wage", right to "retire", etc. Really just right after right that the government would have to be empowered to give you. It would be like the original Second Amendment, the right to bear arms, only, if the Left were presenting that they would insist that the government go out and buy you a gun.

Hopefully this "Bill of Rights" does not empower the state in any way.

If so, watch out!!

Really the Magna Carta heavily influenced the US Constitution that limited government power. Limits on government power is a rare thing. In fact, the only reason the Magna Carta was created was because England had a weak and corrupt king. And in the US, the Constitution was given after England and her king had been sent packing.

But once corrupt government power becomes entrenched, this sort of limiting government power usually never happens again. Instead, all they do is take more and more of the freedoms you have aside from government power.

I heard the BBC talking about the Free Speech with Raab. I suspect they got the idea from the US. That is without the US doing it they know what they would be told. Now as with the flights to Rwanda they are working to attract the same sort of people as Trump though they haven't started religion yet.

Many european countries, including the UK, will struggle with an increasingly radicalized right until they get their ducks in a row on the immigration/refugee/asylum issues whether it be that silly little Rwanda scheme or something else more substantive. There is a clearer and more present danger when you are so close to the Middle East and Africa than elsewhere. I mean here in the US, Mexicans come looking for jobs and benefits. They aren't bringing their machetes and terrorist cells with them so most people who "care" really don't care that much in the end here in America.

As for the British Bill of Rights, IDK. The fundamental problem with legislation is that the same process that creates a right can be used to remove the rights. There is no backstop protection the way the constitutional version is in America ( at least in theory, and occasionally in practice). Anyway, the few articles I have seen don't spell out any detailed language as to what this bill of rights would actually say, so I am not taking sides on that one yet.

They have to stay in the ECHR as it is part of the good friday agreement. The aim of it is to dispense with "rights" that are inconvenient for the tories.

A good example is the Hillsborough disaster. The families had to go to Europe after the whole british establishment organised against them.

The Grenfell families will come up against a similar problem next year. Personally I wouldnt buy a car from johnson and raab never mind a bill of rights.

They have to stay in the ECHR as it is part of the good friday agreement. The aim of it is to dispense with "rights" that are inconvenient for the tories.

A good example is the Hillsborough disaster. The families had to go to Europe after the whole british establishment organised against them.

The Grenfell families will come up against a similar problem next year. Personally I wouldnt buy a car from johnson and raab never mind a bill of rights.
I thought there had to be a reason but I am not sure the EU will find it acceptable that the UK use the British Supreme Court rather than the European one to come to rulings. That sounds bit like moving out. Awe the Good Friday Agreement and they are going to decide what is right and what is wrong. Jesus, they have just done this so that they can come to the decisions (once they put their buddies in the Supreme Court). So for Northern Ireland I am imagining that anything that is legal will be what the Ulster people and Boris want. Obviously with refugees it is to put them into hell and speech to allow them to say what they want to do. We did know before Brexit that they were going to do something of this kind and people did suspect it was going to take away rights. I did hear that Ireland was upset by Boris. The North will now not have Ireland or the EU as Independent people to look after their rights.

In the States democrats salivate about a new Bill of Rights as well, only, it is to empower the state

FDR presented them, such as a right to a "fair wage", right to "retire", etc. Really just right after right that the government would have to be empowered to give you. It would be like the original Second Amendment, the right to bear arms, only, if the Left were presenting that they would insist that the government go out and buy you a gun.

Hopefully this "Bill of Rights" does not empower the state in any way.

If so, watch out!!

Really the Magna Carta heavily influenced the US Constitution that limited government power. Limits on government power is a rare thing. In fact, the only reason the Magna Carta was created was because England had a weak and corrupt king. And in the US, the Constitution was given after England and her king had been sent packing.

But once corrupt government power becomes entrenched, this sort of limiting government power usually never happens again. Instead, all they do is take more and more of the freedoms you have aside from government power.
I am afraid that is exactly what it seems to be. A bill of rights to allow the Tories to do what they want to do and turn us into a far right state. They are also taking away some of the rights of devolved countries, Scotland has started kicking up already. I will need to check what Ireland is doing....but yes you are right, we will need to watch out but UK people are not shy of a fight. - meaning things like protest marches etc.

Last edited:
Many european countries, including the UK, will struggle with an increasingly radicalized right until they get their ducks in a row on the immigration/refugee/asylum issues whether it be that silly little Rwanda scheme or something else more substantive. There is a clearer and more present danger when you are so close to the Middle East and Africa than elsewhere. I mean here in the US, Mexicans come looking for jobs and benefits. They aren't bringing their machetes and terrorist cells with them so most people who "care" really don't care that much in the end here in America.

As for the British Bill of Rights, IDK. The fundamental problem with legislation is that the same process that creates a right can be used to remove the rights. There is no backstop protection the way the constitutional version is in America ( at least in theory, and occasionally in practice). Anyway, the few articles I have seen don't spell out any detailed language as to what this bill of rights would actually say, so I am not taking sides on that one yet.
We are all going to have to think of how we can accommodate Refugees. To send them to Rwanda is apparently illegal You apparently cannot just decide to chuck people wherever you want....but no doubt Boris will create a law that makes it fine for the UK to do it....but already we are getting refugees because of climate change and this is going to speed up very quickly. You too. Many of the people from South America are coming because they are now unable to grow the food they have been growing for generations and selling some. It is too dry. So that is going to be a long term thing which we all need to think about.

Well you can get an idea of what it will be like by the people involved in making it. I covered my view on this in my answer to Tommy. I am not happy at all.

We are all going to have to think of how we can accommodate Refugees. To send them to Rwanda is apparently illegal You apparently cannot just decide to chuck people wherever you want....but no doubt Boris will create a law that makes it fine for the UK to do it....but already we are getting refugees because of climate change and this is going to speed up very quickly. You too. Many of the people from South America are coming because they are now unable to grow the food they have been growing for generations and selling some. It is too dry. So that is going to be a long term thing which we all need to think about.

Well you can get an idea of what it will be like by the people involved in making it. I covered my view on this in my answer to Tommy. I am not happy at all.

Our immigration problem is in some ways a knock on effect of Mexico's immigration problem. A lot of factors there other than climate. Lot of crime, corruption, murders, gangs, etc. America needs a better legal immigration system. It would help a lot but as many have said, to design a system that truly works would give every person from both parties a reason to vote against it.

As for the UK Bill of Rights, it'll be whatever it will be I guess. The libdems are the party of the future in the UK it would appear. The Tories are just seat warmers until that happens.

In Britain, unions are starting national strikes on the railways tomorrow.
Capitalist prostitutes immediately called the trade union leaders "Marxists" who want to "destroy capitalism"

In Britain, unions are starting national strikes on the railways tomorrow.
Capitalist prostitutes immediately called the trade union leaders "Marxists" who want to "destroy capitalism"
I am guessing that is in the States. Simply because I know that is how talk goes there but not usually here. However Boris is trying to make out that they already have too much money, trying to turn one against another. From what I've seen of interviews with people most people seem to be in favour of them. Everyone here is going to be hit hard with 9% inflation and it being on necessities food and heating. They are going on about this being the worst strike in 40 years - that being the winter of discontent where workers were going on strike because inflation was so high they were having trouble getting food onto the table. Pretty similar to now.

However here is the difference. The Bank of England boss has been telling workers they must not ask for pay rises because this will jut make the situation worse. Note how they ask those without to help those with as usual.

Forum List

Back