Top 5 Handgun Cartridges

I'm surrprised the .380 isn't listed. More and more women are shooting and carrying and at least around here, the .380 is the odds on favorite.

Pipsqueak round. Mouse gun totally unsuited for self-defense...honestly, I'm not sure I would trust it to stop a big dog.
When a woman wants to carry a concealed in her purse, a .380 is ideal. And a .380 will put down any number of would be attackers.

Why do you think you have to carry a 20mm howitzer around with you for protection?
My wife can shoot My 9 and 45, but likes her little .380 because it doesn't get in the way of her credit card billfold yet remains ready at hand should she need it. Light easy to shoot.

My uncle once carried a .380 for protection. He was attacked by a dude on PCP. The dude took the ENTIRE MAGAZINE, and didn't go down (or even seem to NOTICE) until the last round hit him in the throat and severed his carotid artery.

His carry pistol now is a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.

My uncle once carried a .380 for protection. He was attacked by a dude on PCP. The dude took the ENTIRE MAGAZINE, and didn't go down (or even seem to NOTICE) until the last round hit him in the throat and severed his carotid artery.

His carry pistol now is a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull.
Has he considered the round might go through the perp, a house and a kid in the next one? There's no guarantee any handgun round is a man stopper, especially on PCP. A .22 can kill someone and a .45 might piss them off.

OK --- OK ... Lets Settle this Handgun Issue Right Now...??? Their is only one gun that is the KING
Of the Hill ...!!! '' See Below ''
Bang.jpg

Like the man said why carry a 20mm around when you can carry a 30mm ..? ? ?

I dont know what "top"caliber means. Everyone has a favorite. I like 10mm but currently dont own one. Waiting for Glock to bring out a Model 36 in 10mm.
They're all good. I dont have much for 357SIG but hey someone loves it.

I prefer .45ACP 230 grain hollow point ammo and a full sized hand gun for protecting the home. Big bullet, moderate recoil, less likely to over penetrate.
9mm hollow points for a smaller concealed carry weapon.

Just got a plain old .38 special with P-+ ammo... Carry loose rounds in my pocket with my change...
Don't need 30 rounds ... Just one or two ... I can hit what I'm shooting at... ! ! !

Just got a plain old .38 special with P-+ ammo... Carry loose rounds in my pocket with my change...
Don't need 30 rounds ... Just one or two ... I can hit what I'm shooting at... ! ! !

Being able to shoot well beats a fancy gun every time!!

Whatever you use, make sure you practice with it until you are good. Not just ok, but good.

Good point, Gunman.

This goes hand in hand with my previous thread. But I think it will generate more disagreement.

America s Top 5 Handgun Cartridges - American Rifleman

The author picked the .22lr, .38Special/.357Magnum, 9mm, .44Special/.44Magnum, and the .45ACP.

I own firearms in all but the 9mm. It is interesting that 2 of the cartridges listed are dual calibers.

Not a bad list at all.

Hope you were at Texas Capitol yesterday, January 13, 2015, where Gun Rights Advocates manufactured 3-D guns as Texas legislature began:

Gun Rights Advocates to Build Weapons at Capitol The Texas Tribune

Armed folks at Texas Capitol - Demanda Evers on Twitter Armed men descend upon Texas Statehouse. No background check required. Come one come all TXlege http t.co jNTy3bPy1g

This goes hand in hand with my previous thread. But I think it will generate more disagreement.

The author picked the .22lr, .38Special/.357Magnum, 9mm, .44Special/.44Magnum, and the .45ACP.

I own firearms in all but the 9mm. It is interesting that 2 of the cartridges listed are dual calibers.

Not a bad list at all.

Hope you were at Texas Capitol yesterday, January 13, 2015, where Gun Rights Advocates manufactured 3-D guns as Texas legislature began:

Armed folks at Texas Capitol - Demanda Evers on Twitter Armed men descend upon Texas Statehouse. No background check required. Come one come all TXlege http t.co jNTy3bPy1g

Nope, didn't go to Texas yesterday. In fact, I haven't been to Texas in 4 or 5 years. And that works for me.

Not a bad list at all.

Nope, didn't go to Texas yesterday. In fact, I haven't been to Texas in 4 or 5 years. And that works for me.
Shame
Hill country looks beautiful. I'd love to go feral hog hunting there sometime.

Not a bad list at all.

Shame
Hill country looks beautiful. I'd love to go feral hog hunting there sometime.

I've spent too much time working in Texas for idiots. Left a bad taste in my mouth for the cities I was in. I enjoyed Houston well enough, but there are other places I prefer. The hill country is lovely. I'd go back to Austin or San Antonio. But I wouldn't go to Texas for an open carry parade.

Old Gunman lives in San Antonio and I don't go to Austin if I can help it.....:Boom2::Boom2:

Forum List

Back