Too Hot For Solar Panels?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Did Dimocrats know Solar Panels, tasked with collecting energy from the sun, could OVERHEAT?

Easy, one of the most basic tenets of electronic theory is that heat is bad for all electronics. It increases internal resistance and thus I2R losses because electron flow is impeded by the greater energy state of the valence shells obstructing the jumping of excess electrons from atom to atom. This is basically why superconductors always need CHILLED, not heated.

I'm no solar expert but I would expect solar panels have a peak operating range which falls off beyond any higher temperature. Worse, the heat can only add to shorting the life of the components and already, solar panels made 20 years ago have reached the end of their lives and Biden's government has no plan in place for what to do with them so they are being dumped into landfills with all their toxic metals to pollute and contaminate the ground water.

Another big win for the green energy movement so eager to see green advances that they tout nascent technology still in the experimental stage before any of the real bugs get worked out to find that in the long term, green energy is really no better than and actually more costly than the energy we already have.

So if anyone thinks we only have 9 years to turn the corner with climate change and are depending on wind, solar and EV cars to do it, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye.

Easy, one of the most basic tenets of electronic theory is that heat is bad for all electronics. It increases internal resistance and thus I2R losses because electron flow is impeded by the greater energy state of the valence shells obstructing the jumping of excess electrons from atom to atom. This is basically why superconductors always need CHILLED, not heated.

I'm no solar expert but I would expect solar panels have a peak operating range which falls off beyond any higher temperature. Worse, the heat can only add to shorting the life of the components and already, solar panels made 20 years ago have reached the end of their lives and Biden's government has no plan in place for what to do with them so they are being dumped into landfills with all their toxic metals to pollute and contaminate the ground water.

Another big win for the green energy movement so eager to see green advances that they tout nascent technology still in the experimental stage before any of the real bugs get worked out to find that in the long term, green energy is really no better than and actually more costly than the energy we already have.

So if anyone thinks we only have 9 years to turn the corner with climate change and are depending on wind, solar and EV cars to do it, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye.

Our salvation lies with that alternate energy source THAT DEMOCRATS HAVE NOT INVENTED YET.

:p

Did Dimocrats know Solar Panels, tasked with collecting energy from the sun, could OVERHEAT?

Many of the used ones are already being tossed away in landfills to contaminate groundwater!!

Our salvation lies with that alternate energy source THAT DEMOCRATS HAVE NOT INVENTED YET.

Real salvation will come with:
  1. Nuclear fusion.
  2. Affordable, practical hydrogen fuel cells.
  3. Other technologies not yet realized.
Not to mention getting a handle on global population. If we don't do it, nature will. Solar, wind are great, but are hideously ugly, damaging to the environment and take up far too much land for the energy they produce. Reliable wind is far too constrained in its locations and solar is really best for local use at fairly small scales, such as to reduce or eliminate power consumption of single homes, buildings, etc., not as a centralized replacement for America's total energy needs.

Real salvation will come with:
  1. Nuclear fusion.
  2. Affordable, practical hydrogen fuel cells.
  3. Other technologies not yet realized.
Not to mention getting a handle on global population. If we don't do it, nature will. Solar, wind are great, but are hideously ugly, damaging to the environment and take up far too much land for the energy they produce. Reliable wind is far too constrained in its locations and solar is really best for local use at fairly small scales, such as to reduce or eliminate power consumption of single homes, buildings, etc., not as a centralized replacement for America's total energy needs.

Green New Deal. = I see Dead People.

Thread,

This IS a factor. You have to go DEEP into the article to MEASURE the effect which is around 10% loss. Now that's NOT trivial on grid size scale -- because the grid GENERATION MARGINS are usually 15% ABOVE the highest peak demands.

Interesting how solar panels overheat right when they could gather the most energy. This is similar to Windmills that have to be shut down if the wind speed gets too high. Can you say immature technology?
I feel it coming. Shwinsten Williamberg sunscreen for solar panels.
$100 a gal. Apply yearly(or as often as needed)

Interesting how solar panels overheat right when they could gather the most energy. This is similar to Windmills that have to be shut down if the wind speed gets too high. Can you say immature technology?

Not just a matter of maturity. They are DESIGNED to accept/ABSORB as much solar spectrum as possible. And that means THERE WILL BE HEAT instead of electricity generated at across the spectrum of those frequencies. THEY HAVE to be "absorbers" and not "reflectors".

All of the IMPROVEMENTS for this tech are DONE WITH. It's been 60 years of commercialization. And the improvement curves are MAXXED OUT.

EXCEPT -- and here's the irony of "green deals"... The ones we send to Mars and out into the universe are as much as 15 TIMES MORE EFFICIENT. And we CANNOT DO THIS in volume. Because they dont USE SILICON as the base material. They use a "three-five" chemistry of Gallium and Arsenide. BOTH extremely high in toxicity.

I'm waiting for the green weenies to hate nuclear and hydrogen ENOUGH to claim it's been a CONSPIRACY to hide these Ga-As panels from the public. And then spank their asses for even suggesting we mine that much Arsenic and Gallium.

It's not that a matter of CAN BE DONE. It's a matter of leaving the choices up to scientists and engineers to balance all the requirements and safety.

If windmills could get a 25% boost in performance from 25 lbs of hummingbird hearts -- they'll GET desperate enough to make their fantasies come true.

I've used solar panels in 120 degree temps in Africa. 99 degrees isn't going to bother them.
Nobody said that your solar panels are going to blow up in extreme heat. The concern is that extreme heat reduces both output and longevity. Your experience and the statement made are immaterial to the problem with solar panels. Just more green energy BS.

Well not immature so much as just technological limitations.

The problem is solar panels are still based around old designs and materials. The work fine, they just have limitations as all technology does.

Solar is a fine auppliment for energy, but in it's current state it won't ever take it's place.

I wouldn't mind having panels on the back of my house to feed electric back into the grid so while I am at work my house is lowering my electric bill and Incase of an outage I could at least run my fridge during the day, use the microwave, watch TV and so on.

But the problem is I'd need a brand new roof before I bolted giant panels onto it, I don't want big panels over my 16 year old roof and get a leak in a few years under the panels. It costs a god damn fortune. And it's old technology that could take a shit in 20 years.

:p
This isn't about alternative energy....this is a hoax intended to bring about the death of billions.
They're already said what they planned on doing.
Murdering billions of people to save the planet.
Democrats are trying to being Thanos to life.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back