Tom Ridge: I Was Pressured To Raise Terror Alert To Help Bush Win Re-Election

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Tom Ridge on National Security After 9/11 - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Tom Ridge on National Security After 9/11
August 19, 2009 04:58 PM ET | Paul Bedard | Permanent Link | Print

By Paul Bedard, Washington Whispers

Tom Ridge, the first head of the 9/11-inspired Department of Homeland Security, wasn't keen on writing a tell-all. But in The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege...and How We Can Be Safe Again, out September 1, Ridge says he wants to shake "public complacency" over security. And to do that, well, he needs to tell all. Especially about the infighting he saw that frustrated his attempts to build a smooth-running department. Among the headlines promoted by publisher Thomas Dunne Books: Ridge was never invited to sit in on National Security Council meetings; was "blindsided" by the FBI in morning Oval Office meetings because the agency withheld critical information from him; found his urgings to block Michael Brown from being named head of the emergency agency blamed for the Hurricane Katrina disaster ignored; and was pushed to raise the security alert on the eve of President Bush's re-election, something he saw as politically motivated and worth resigning over.

Tom Ridge, the first head of the 9/11-inspired Department of Homeland Security, wasn't keen on writing a tell-all. But in The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege...and How We Can Be Safe Again, out September 1, Ridge says he wants to shake "public complacency" over security. And to do that, well, he needs to tell all. Especially about the infighting he saw that frustrated his attempts to build a smooth-running department. Among the headlines promoted by publisher Thomas Dunne Books: Ridge was never invited to sit in on National Security Council meetings; was "blindsided" by the FBI in morning Oval Office meetings because the agency withheld critical information from him; found his urgings to block Michael Brown from being named head of the emergency agency blamed for the Hurricane Katrina disaster ignored; and was pushed to raise the security alert on the eve of President Bush's re-election, something he saw as politically motivated and worth resigning over.

MORE "PROGRESSIVE" ideology that keeps pointing in the REAR VIEW MIRROR in hopes of distracting from the FUTURE? History.......what are YOU going to do for us today, besides declaring the "THE BUCK STOPPED WITH "W"......I don't need no stinking buck stopping here?" Where is the LEADERSHIP that declares.......I AM COMMANDER IN CHIEF.......I AM RESPONSIBLE for MY DECISIONS? Where are the REAL democratic leaders....in the mold of JFK....or TRUMAN? The Last true example of a real DEMOCRAT was taken out for demanding LOWER TAXES, and STRONGER national security (JFK).....by the communists that have taken over the Democratic Party.

Last edited:

MORE "PROGRESSIVE" ideology that keeps pointing in the REAR VIEW MIRROR in hopes of distracting from the FUTURE? History.......what are YOU going to do for us today, besides declaring the "THE BUCK STOPPED WITH "W"......I don't need no stinking buck stopping here?" Where is the LEADERSHIP that declares.......I AM COMMANDER IN CHIEF.......I AM RESPONSIBLE for MY DECISIONS? Where are the REAL democratic leaders....in the mold of JFK....or TRUMAN? The Last true example of a real DEMOCRAT was taken out for demanding LOWER TAXES, and STRONGER national security (JFK).....by the communists that have taken over the Democratic Party.

MORE "PROGRESSIVE" ideology ?

I am not a liberal.

You think america will soon forget? Go fuck yourself.

I will buy that book, Tom Ridge left with a good amount of integrity and credibility intact. Not an easy thing to do with that administration. I wonder how Kerry feels hearing this.

are we supposed to be surprised by this? it was really clear that every time kerry's numbers went up, there was an orange alert.

I believe one of the reasons why the terror alert should have been raised to RED is because Kerry was running for President. What a piece of work this clown is. Got that lying thing down pat too. Guess his "hero" status from Viet Nam was only in his own mind. It certainly wasn't in anybody's mind except his.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

are we supposed to be surprised by this? it was really clear that every time kerry's numbers went up, there was an orange alert.

I believe one of the reasons why the terror alert should have been raised to RED is because Kerry was running for President. What a piece of work this clown is. Got that lying thing down pat too. Guess his "hero" status from Viet Nam was only in his own mind. It certainly wasn't in anybody's mind except his.

so... you think that the Navy gives away Silver Stars for nothing?

Doesn't that really mean that you are denigrating any Navy veteran who won that award?

Facts dont matter to these people MM.

Kerry who was decorated by our country for his bravery and great service mean nothing to people who only care about party politics.

Doesn't that really mean that you are denigrating any Navy veteran who won that award?

I was in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. I know from personal experience that there are people who get medals and there are people who earn medals. I was not there when Kerry did whatever it was he was hailed to do to earn that Silver Star but I do know that there are a lot of people who spoke up and said his actions were not quite that grand.

I don't think anyone is surprised by it, we knew what they were doing. Nobody would admit it before.

I liked it when Ari Fleischer came forward with info about the Bush administration but he started to back down under the pressure. Maybe Ridge will stand, he already talked about succombing to the pressure so he is going into this with his eyes open.

Yeah...and those Nuremberg Trials were so "REAR VIEW MIRROR", weren't they?

Ah yes....and the sweetness of the Republicans bashing a man who actually served in the Navy IN Viet Nam.

I really enjoyed those Purple Heart band aids at the RNC convention.

I was in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. I know from personal experience that there are people who get medals and there are people who earn medals. I was not there when Kerry did whatever it was he was hailed to do to earn that Silver Star but I do know that there are a lot of people who spoke up and said his actions were not quite that grand.

I was in the Navy for 25 years, two months and six days and while the Navy may "give" medals to folks for performance (NAM, NCM, MSM, etc), I NEVER knew them to give medals for combat heroism (bronze star, silver star, navy cross, MOH) to someone who did not thoroughly deserve them. The members of Kerry's crew said he deserved both his bronze star and his silver star. the folks who denigrated him, did not serve WITH him on his boat, and only began to denigrate him after he spoke up against the war.

The far right honors our veterans only when it serves their purposes. The rest of the time it lables them as traitors.

Or Cowards. There's some delicious Irony in watching those who never served calling those of us who did "Traitors" and "Cowards".

The retired rear admiral who led the attack on Kerry was a falling down drunk, and hated Kerry for many years. Apparently JK told him in Vietnam or shortly thereafter to go f- himself.

This is a good case study for examining sources, and so is George Bush/AWOL. The closer you get in the source to those who actually in JK's vessel and those who served at the air base with GWB -- guess what, folks?

JK did what he was honored for. GWB was on base.

I hate a liar, anytime, and particularly when done in politics. That is why we have run the neo-cons out of the city and county leadership positions in the GOP. We are the state neo-cons next. We will throw them to the curb.

Not surprising at all.

Forum List

Back