Togolese Protest After Son Of Dead Leader Is Put Into Power By Military

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
this is great the people are raising hell.... what can the US and (hell, fuck it,) even the EU do to help them?

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,146705,00.html
Togolese Protest After New Leader Sworn In

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

LOME, Togo — A strike shut down the main market and other businesses in the capital Tuesday, a day after the son of Togo's (search) longtime leader was sworn in as his successor in a move criticized by other nations as unconstitutional.

The strike was called by opposition parties. On Monday, security forces turned back hundreds of protesting students who had tried to disrupt the swearing-in ceremony of Faure Gnassingbe (search).

Gnassingbe's father, President Gnassingbe Eyadema (search), died of a heart attack Saturday. Hours later, the military installed Gnassingbe, although the constitution stipulates the parliament speaker was next in line for the presidency.

On Sunday, the national assembly approved Gnassingbe as speaker by a vote of 67-14, then voted to change the constitution to allow him to fulfill his father's term, which expires in 2008.

I am not sure what anyone can do at this point. Seems that France in particular may have some national interests there. The potential for another Sudan exists I suppose, but so far, other than what appears to be a military coup, there is little violence involved from what I can see. Hard to say what the EU will do; you know the UN will hold a meeting and then spew some harsh rhetoric and that's about it.

Wish I had more time in port, I would research what kind of ties we have with Togo, economic and military ties, etc etc.

Hopefully the State Dept. (i know, don't laugh too hard) under Condi Rice can exercise some behind the scenes influence and stop this coup from being a long-lasting one.

U.S.–TOGOLESE RELATIONS
Togo is a pro-Western, market-oriented country, and the United States and Togo have had generally good relations since its independence, although the United States has never been one of Togos major trade partners. The largest share of U.S. exports to Togo generally has been used clothing and scrap textiles. Other important U.S. exports include rice, wheat, shoes, and tobacco products, and U.S. personal computers and other office electronics are becoming more widely used.

The Government of Togo, with the support of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), established an export processing zone (EPZ) in Togo. The zone has attracted private investors interested in manufacturing, assembly, and food processing, primarily for the export market. USAID closed its local office in 1994 and runs local development programs from its office in Abidjan through nongovernmental organizations in Togo.

As of 2003, overall U.S. economic aid to Togo includes 83 Peace Corps volunteers, health and nutrition programs, especially combating HIV/AIDS and child trafficking. U.S.-Togolese relations have been somewhat strained as a result of human rights abuses and the halting progress of the democratic transition.

Principal U.S. Officials
Ambassador--Gregory Engle
Deputy Chief of Mission—Matthew T. Harrington
Administrative officer—Martina Flintrop
Public Affairs officer—Ellen Irvine
Political/Consular—Cynthia Gregg
Econ/Commercial officer—Lucia Verrier
Peace Corps Director— Marie Louise Krumm

The U.S. Embassy is located at Rue Pelletier and Rue Vauban, Lome (tel: 221-2991/2/3/4). The mailing address is B.P. 852, Lome, Togo (international mail) and AmEmbassy Lome, 2300 Lome Place, Washington, DC 20521-2300 (by diplomatic pouch). [END]

http://www.geographyiq.com/countries/to/Togo_us_relations_summary.htm

Not in depth but its a start

NATO AIR said:
this is great the people are raising hell.... what can the US and (hell, fuck it,) even the EU do to help them?
i think weve done enough this year to help people. cant we let one place fend for itself for once?

Forum List

Back