To Pay For Israeli Aid, GOP Wants To Make It More Expensive For You To File Your Taxes

AND raise taxes to get back to a balanced budget.
Raise taxes? Look I'm not a goddamn piggy bank. Mooching bastards already take nearly 50% of every dollar I earn and that's before all the other taxes. Sales tax and property tax and vehicle tax it's endless. If you want to raise taxes then raise them on the people earning less up to the % I pay and see how that goes. Then people will demand spending cuts.

By all means explain to me how it's 'fair' to take over half of what I earn? Talk about demotivating your top earners. We'll hide our money and stop investing in things that create jobs for the rest of you.

Republicans are looking at defunding a free digital tax filing system that's under development by the IRS to instead help pay for weapons for Israel.

Republicans are looking to cut funding for the free digital tax filing system currently being developed by the Internal Revenue Service to instead offset the $14 billion emergency request for military aid for Israel’s war in Gaza.

After House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) declared that Republicans insisted on cutting the budget to pay for the Israel war funding bill, the House Rules Committee released legislation on Monday that includes $14 billion in cuts to the IRS. That $14 billion will come out of the $67 billion that remains in additional IRS funding included in last year’s Inflation Reduction Act.

The boost to IRS funding in the Inflation Reduction Act sought to aid the agency’s efforts to police tax evasion by the wealthy and update and upgrade the IRS’s internal and public-facing systems and software.

In addition to targeting the free digital filing program, the GOP offsets would cut funding at the IRS for enforcement, operations support, policymaking and internal investigations. The only sections of the IRS funding spared from proposed cuts are assistance for taxpayers and modernization of internal business systems.

Tax preparation companies including TurboTax, Intuit and H&R Block have long opposed the creation of a free digital tax filing system by the IRS, spending tens of millions of dollars on lobbying efforts. The government and the companies came to an agreement in 2002 for the government to not pursue a free online filing system and, in turn, the tax preparers would offer their services free to filers who make less than $73,000 per year. That agreement is set to expire in 2025, based on an amendment issued last March.

To Pay For Israeli Aid, GOP Wants To Make It More Expensive For You To File Your Taxes

This doesn't sound right to me! What do you think?
The stupid government, that screws up everything it touches, creates some kind of online monstrosity that will never work, what could possibly go wrong?

Republicans are looking at defunding a free digital tax filing system that's under development by the IRS to instead help pay for weapons for Israel.

Republicans are looking to cut funding for the free digital tax filing system currently being developed by the Internal Revenue Service to instead offset the $14 billion emergency request for military aid for Israel’s war in Gaza.

After House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) declared that Republicans insisted on cutting the budget to pay for the Israel war funding bill, the House Rules Committee released legislation on Monday that includes $14 billion in cuts to the IRS. That $14 billion will come out of the $67 billion that remains in additional IRS funding included in last year’s Inflation Reduction Act.

The boost to IRS funding in the Inflation Reduction Act sought to aid the agency’s efforts to police tax evasion by the wealthy and update and upgrade the IRS’s internal and public-facing systems and software.

In addition to targeting the free digital filing program, the GOP offsets would cut funding at the IRS for enforcement, operations support, policymaking and internal investigations. The only sections of the IRS funding spared from proposed cuts are assistance for taxpayers and modernization of internal business systems.

Tax preparation companies including TurboTax, Intuit and H&R Block have long opposed the creation of a free digital tax filing system by the IRS, spending tens of millions of dollars on lobbying efforts. The government and the companies came to an agreement in 2002 for the government to not pursue a free online filing system and, in turn, the tax preparers would offer their services free to filers who make less than $73,000 per year. That agreement is set to expire in 2025, based on an amendment issued last March.

We are spending ourselves into the ground and all you do is attack a spending cut. Rather than blowing hot air, propose what we should cut instead. You didn't believe in doing chores for your allowance either, did you? Be honest

Raise taxes? Look I'm not a goddamn piggy bank. Mooching bastards already take nearly 50% of every dollar I earn and that's before all the other taxes. Sales tax and property tax and vehicle tax it's endless. If you want to raise taxes then raise them on the people earning less up to the % I pay and see how that goes. Then people will demand spending cuts.

By all means explain to me how it's 'fair' to take over half of what I earn? Talk about demotivating your top earners. We'll hide our money and stop investing in things that create jobs for the rest of you.
Haven't you heard? Anyone who makes more than me and wants to keep any of it is greedy while I'm NOT greedy for wanting the government to forcibly confiscate their money from them.

We are spending ourselves into the ground and all you do is attack a spending cut. Rather than blowing hot air, propose what we should cut instead. You didn't believe in doing chores for your allowance either, did you? Be honest
Apparently, to some a federal spending cut is like sunlight to a vampire, to be avoided at all costs.

Biden's attacks on appliances will only cost you $3,000+ dollars for a new Biden climate change water heater. :oops:

They're another waste of money and resources. My girlfriend lives in Sac Ca., and has a "efficient water heater"; and the water volume leaves lots to be desired. You have to start the shower two minutes before you jump in, and the water isn't HOT for washing dishes. Takes me four times longer to rinse a car off too. A waste of water.

How would this make it more expensive if the system isn’t in place yet, Dumbass?

Trump's tax cuts are a disaster. They grew the Debt. We need to raise taxes AND cut spending to stop the borrowing.

If we don't the dollar collapses and we turn into Greece or Venezuela.

You do know that our credit rating was just lowered, right? Next downgrade is to "JUNK".
Revenues went up after the Trump across the board tax cuts, Simp.

Explain how more revenue grows debt.

Johnson is going to pass the billions for Israel. He has to. Biden wins that round.

They aren't making something more difficult or expensive that has never existed. Everybody can file their taxes absolutely free now by downloading or picking up the forms and filling them out themselves.

The government has yet to do much of anything that doesn't in some way cost taxpayers more than if the government did little or nothing. And the GOP is 100% correct that it is responsible to cut the budget in places that aren't needed or necessary in order to add something else to the budget.

What do you care Lakookta, you don't pay taxes.....

So did Reagan's tax cut.

The US economy is NOT like it was in the 1960s. Today we're a "service economy" not a manufacturing economy.

Cutting taxes now only grows the DEBT. We need to cut spending AND raise taxes to get back to a balanced budget.
Curious, the tax cuts by President Trump, INCREASED REVENUE.

How about this, we reduce our budget to 2019 levels for a start.

Forum List

Back