To Many Prisoners in Cali... May Have to Release Some.

Or harsher penalties for use and for distribution of illegal drugs... get more of the scum off the street... prosecute all criminals and don't baby them.. enforce 3 strikes

makes it better for the law abiding

Better to decriminalize drugs... leave prisons for violent criminals.

See... problem solved. :eusa_whistle:

I really do not think decriminalizing drugs is going to help CA. Druggies was one of the major reason I moved my children out of California in 1979.

They may want to look at a better form of punishment for them other than just lock-up.

Well...it isn't like the stoners haven't been warning you all for decades now that we cannot kleep making criminals out of essantially law abiding citizens.

Now watch, they'll release violent criminals before they'll release hemp dealers.

Make a note of it, remember I told you that this will probably happen.

California is a mess. But hey look at the bright side, Pelosi is at the top in leadership now....:lol:

I have no problem with the decriminalization of pot. Outside of that, I'm not sure I want Meth, Heroin, and drugs of that type legalized. I do think we have gone down the wrong path by inprisoning users, even when they are repeat offenders. Our money would be much better spent paying for their rehab.

Bottom line, I agree that our prisons should be for violent criminals only.

Or harsher penalties for use and for distribution of illegal drugs... get more of the scum off the street... prosecute all criminals and don't baby them.. enforce 3 strikes

It doesn't work, and the cost is astronomical. $35,000 per year pays for a lot of rehab. I realize that not everyone is successful with rehab, but it's still a better way to go.

You don't realize how liberal a position that really is, do you?

Let all non-violent marijuana offenders with no other convictions go.

Considering the state of California's budget crisis--this isn't a bad idea. What would a law abiding citizen prefer? Feeding a prisoner and getting an IOU for your unemployment check?

One of my friends just got one of those UI/ IOU's.

Last edited:

I have no problem with the decriminalization of pot. Outside of that, I'm not sure I want Meth, Heroin, and drugs of that type legalized. I do think we have gone down the wrong path by inprisoning users, even when they are repeat offenders. Our money would be much better spent paying for their rehab.

Bottom line, I agree that our prisons should be for violent criminals only.

I don't really see any problem with a registered addict system. It seems to work elsewhere.

But we're in agreement about the use of prisons for violent criminals only.

How many of you personally know someone who has been jailed for drug use?

Plus do any of you know recovered addicts?

Last edited:

Liberal?? No

My stances are authoritarian when it comes to crime and punishment... If you have laws you enforce the laws... You go hard after people who break the laws... You punish those who are convicted of breaking the law.... Repeat offender law breakers are not a benefit to society and are not generally rehabilitat-able... Coddling criminals does not go toward preventing them from committing crimes again...

and I fully believe in keeping drugs, including marijuana, illegal

How many of you personally know someone who has been jailed for drug use?

Plus do any of you know recovered addicts?

Yes, I do to both. Actually, there is no such thing as a recovered drug addict, the same as their is no such thing as a recovered alcoholic. They are constantly recovering and must avoid the temptation to go back the source of their addiction.

Let all non-violent marijuana offenders with no other convictions go.

Let me tell a very instructive little story about the prosecution of drug offenses even in very restrictive Virginia.

I had a client that was caught with a package of individually wrapped bags of pot with name taped on each bag. It was shipped interstate and delivered to her by undercover police. When she went to put the package in her car she was arrested by half the Arlington county police force. When asked what was in the unopened package, she replied, "Drugs." I didn't say I had brilliant clients. The police then asked if she also had drugs in her car. She replied, "No." They asked if they could search her car. She said they could. Upon searching they found a small rock of cocaine on the floor.

Result: the charges were Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana and Felony Possession of Cocaine.

As you can tell by the facts, I had very little wiggle room as a defense lawyer. My client had previously used her ability to use a "Alford" plea. Despite that, I got them to drop the possession with intent charge. They maintained the felony charge. But, her sentence was 20 days in the slam with 3 years suspended and probation.

All that is to say, you have to work awful damned hard to be doing real time in the rock pile for marijuana possession.

Liberal?? No

My stances are authoritarian when it comes to crime and punishment... If you have laws you enforce the laws... You go hard after people who break the laws... You punish those who are convicted of breaking the law.... Repeat offender law breakers are not a benefit to society and are not generally rehabilitat-able... Coddling criminals does not go toward preventing them from committing crimes again...

and I fully believe in keeping drugs, including marijuana, illegal

You are on the wrong side of the Potomac!

Forum List

Back