To Kill A Mockingbird...

I loved the book and the movie. It's sad and disappointing that Harper Lee couldn't just leave the memories alone. She had to write a sequel that destroyed the uplifting integrity of Atticus by showing him to be a racist. I grow weary of people who must destroy their own culture for the sake of doing some kind of weird penance.

I loved the book and the movie. It's sad and disappointing that Harper Lee couldn't just leave the memories alone. She had to write a sequel that destroyed the uplifting integrity of Atticus by showing him to be a racist. I grow weary of people who must destroy their own culture for the sake of doing some kind of weird penance.
It's a shame.

I should see it. I have step great grandchildren who are named from characters in the story. I've never read the book.
You are in for a real treat. IMO it's one of Gregory Peck's best roles and his character, Atticus Finch, is the most powerful part of a wonderful novel. Harper Lee also does a near-perfect job of describing the details of life in the south back in the day. For southerners of a certain age, it's a timeless work.

You are in for a real treat. IMO it's one of Gregory Peck's best roles and his character, Atticus Finch, is the most powerful part of a wonderful novel. Harper Lee also does a near-perfect job of describing the details of life in the south back in the day. For southerners of a certain age, it's a timeless work.
I think I will love it! I have always loved it when an author can place me in a time and place I'd never otherwise have known. I like Eudora Welty for this reason.

Record it. It's not PC and will be canceled by the left soon...
Little factoid:
The woman dubbed "The Fruitcake Lady" on Jay Leno's Tonight Show is the neighbor who sits on the porch one evening with Gregory Peck in, To Kill a Mockingbird.
Good suggestion. I will.

Last edited:
I should see it. I have step great grandchildren who are named from characters in the story. I've never read the book.
You should read the book...and watch the movie. They are not entirely the same. I find most adaptations of books in movies to not be capture all of the nuances found in the book.

You should read the book...and watch the movie. They are not entirely the same. I find most adaptations of books in movies to not be capture all of the nuances found in the book.
Oh, of course the book is always more nuanced! I'm going to go to Amazon and buy a copy of both, book and DVD. Hope the DVD is not already censored. I've been buying a lot of books the last year and a half or two years -- the stuff that I know they're going to want to put down the memory hole.

Another of my favorites is Frank Yerby. As a young adult I collected his novels of life in the south. "The Girl From Storyville" was a favorite, with a lot of historical detail about the red light district of New Orleans. He's become pretty hard to find.

If you're watching the movie and can tell me what kind of rifle it was that Atticus used to shoot the rabid dog, I'll give you a trophy. I owned one just like it until I traded it for a small boat.

Forum List

Back