To Kill a Mockingbird

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Again, in our struggles to find any new movies worth watching, we turn to old movies.
We both had never seen it. I knew the basic story, but just never saw it.
The acting is very good, the flow of the movie is very good... but the story itself?
Pheh.
Too simplistic and sometimes just plain silly.
It was an important story to tell in 1960 for sure. So for that, it deserved the honors it received.
But as for a good movie? Not really.

Last edited:
I made my son watch this movie when he decided to use the cliff note for an assignment. I'm like it's a short book.
As for me I though it was a great movie, I love anything with Gregory Peck.

There are a lot of left-wing stereotypes in the movie.
It checks a lot of their boxes/dog whistles.
I have even been told by left-wingers that it is a true story.

Last edited:
I made my son watch this movie when he decided to use the cliff note for an assignment. I'm like it's a short book.
As for me I though it was a great movie, I love anything with Gregory Peck.
Peck was a good actor with a lib chip on his shoulder

Again, in our struggles to find any new movies worth watching, we turn to old movies.
The acting is very good, the flow of the movie is very good... but the story itself?
Pheh.
It was an important story to tell in 1960 for sure. So for that, it deserved the honors it received.

The book is far more in-depth than the movie.

Pheh.
I disagree. To Kill a Mockingbird is a textbook example of a message movie done rights. IMHO, the greatness of the movie lies not in the message but how it is presented, through the eyes of a child. Robert Mulligan, knew exactly where to place the camera to catch a child's subjective experience. Most viewers focus on the racial message of the film but for me the greatness of the film and the book lies in the closing chapters where Scout encounters Boo Radley (Robert Duvall) who saved Scout and Jim. AFI ranks the movie 29th in the list of the 100 best movies of all time. I agree.

Gregory Peck was Harper Lee's choice for the roll of Atticus Finch. In fact, she delayed the production over a year so he could play the roll. Harper Lee was also instrumental in selecting Horton Foote to write the screen play which won him an academy award. Robert Duvall got the part of Boo Radley due to his friend Horton Foote. Duvall was told he would have only one line in the movie so he practiced for weeks for this was his big chance and they cut it. Yet his unspoken line and his silent portrayal of Boo Radley lead him into major roles.

Last edited:
There are a lot of left-wing stereotypes in the movie.
It checks a lot of their boxes/dog whistles.
I have even been told by left-wingers that it is a true story.
When that movie was made the division in the country was not left wingers and right wingers. It was the democratic south vs the democrats and republicans in the rest of the country.

Harper Lee patterned Atticus Finch after her father who was a lawyer and served in the Alabama legislature. Like Atticus Finch, he was certainly not an integrationist. The children in the story come from her childhood and the story of Tom Robinson is a composite. Much of the town of Maycomb, Alabama is patterned off her memories of her home town of Monroeville, Alabama.

Pheh.
I have to gently disagree. Not only is it one of the sweetest movies ever made, it has all the components of a good story, i.e. historical context, mystery, intrigue, suspense. And not only were there great non-preachy messages and themes, but it is one of the sweetest films ever made/

Pheh.
I actually loved this classic move and book. I read it in school and loved the book. I also loved the movie. I always thought Gregory Peck was an amazing actor.

I actually loved this classic move and book. I read it in school and loved the book. I also loved the movie. I always thought Gregory Peck was an amazing actor.
Harper Lee captures life in a small Alabama town in the 30’s through the eyes of a child. Wonderful book and movie

Forum List

Back