To hot to cook. Summer cool off meals?

2 cups orange juice.......
1 cup milk..........
1 pack dream whip..
1/4 cup or so sugar.
cap full of vanilla.......just a touch.....
Fill the remainder of blender with ice and blend away.........

Orange Julius.............

Substitute other juices...it's just as good.........
ed110720e0341f4f94f96bcc69f28d64.jpg

I had a neighbor years ago that made the best macaroni salad ever. She used a little oil and vinegar instead of mayo and she threw in as many chopped fresh vegetables as she could find kicking around in the fridge, and little cubes of cheese. Eliminating the mayo lets you taste the veggies. It was always great. There were probably herbs or seasonings in it, too, cause I could never quite replicate it, but it's something to play around with for a change, if you never have.
That sounds good! With Pesto!! Artichoke hearts, raw carrots, macaroni, olives, onions, maybe some small bits of broccoli, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, cut up hard boiled eggs, shrooms..and whatever else is floating around in the fridge!

I had a neighbor years ago that made the best macaroni salad ever. She used a little oil and vinegar instead of mayo and she threw in as many chopped fresh vegetables as she could find kicking around in the fridge, and little cubes of cheese. Eliminating the mayo lets you taste the veggies. It was always great. There were probably herbs or seasonings in it, too, cause I could never quite replicate it, but it's something to play around with for a change, if you never have.
That sounds good! With Pesto!! Artichoke hearts, raw carrots, macaroni, olives, onions, maybe some small bits of broccoli, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, cut up hard boiled eggs, shrooms..and whatever else is floating around in the fridge!
Pesto sounds awesome. You're full of good ideas today, Gracie.

Chicken salad.
The way i make it, it is filling and a great summer meal!
I use yogurt instead of mayo, eggs, pickles, grapes, apples, pecans brown mustard yellow mustard shredded chicken..
Boiling the chicken in fruit juice is a plus as well
By itself, crackers, wrap in lettuce, bread or in a bed of spinach and feta cheese
Mmmmmmmmm

Or instead of pesto, might be good with chimichurri sauce.

Oooh, add some cubed fancy salami, like in an antipasto salad.

Sigh....
All this does is make me long for cooler weather so I can start making Gumbo,Chili and all the other savory dishes that go with cool weather.
Cant wait for a big ol pot of beans over the fire with some dutch oven cornbread.

Sigh....
All this does is make me long for cooler weather so I can start making Gumbo,Chili and all the other savory dishes that go with cool weather.
Cant wait for a big ol pot of beans over the fire with some dutch oven cornbread.

I like to wallow in the advantages of every season as it comes up. Can't speed up time, so might as well relax and enjoy it.

I want to try this, because I love the fresh fruits available on the cheap right now.

upload_2018-7-26_11-42-5.jpeg

Tropical Chicken Salad.

My family is mad for fresh pineapple, and frozen will work in a pinch.

Sigh....

I like to wallow in the advantages of every season as it comes up. Can't speed up time, so might as well relax and enjoy it.

I want to try this, because I love the fresh fruits available on the cheap right now.

View attachment 207083

Tropical Chicken Salad.

One of the Wife and I's favorite summer dishes is Jerk chicken and coleslaw with fresh pineapple.

Sigh....

View attachment 207083

Tropical Chicken Salad.

One of the Wife and I's favorite summer dishes is Jerk chicken and coleslaw with fresh pineapple.

Oh, I found a little Caribbean market not too far from my house that cooks jerked chicken and steak out front on the weekends. The smells as you drive by!! :eusa_drool:

Sigh....

View attachment 207083

Tropical Chicken Salad.

Oh, I found a little Caribbean market not too far from my house that cooks jerked chicken and steak out front on the weekends. The smells as you drive by!! :eusa_drool:

Get online and order some of this if you want to make Jerk every bit as good as they do in Jamaica.
The only thing lacking is the pimento wood for smoking.
If you're interested I'll tell you how to make it.

We buy it by the gallon and freeze it in serving sized tubs.

Well there was suppossed to be a pic of Spur Tree jerk seasoning.
You can get it on Amazon.

shopping

Whatcha eat when it is hotter than hell? Gimmee some ideas for dinner that is tasty, filling, and COOL!

Tomato Bread Salad. I cook, but I'm not a foodie. However, this was DELICIOUS and I ate til I was stuffed. You don't really need to follow the recipe exactly except probably for the dressing.

Backstory: a local restaurant, which is casual but nationally acclaimed, has this as a special. It was good but I thought this recipe was better! Here it is and then I will tell you how I modified:

Mid-Summer Italian Bread Salad Recipe

I did not put onion in the salad, but did add cubed mozzarella cheese instead. I bought a loaf of rosemary bread at the bakery and did toast it lightly with olive oil. If you don't want to fire up the oven, you could tear it up in pieces and let it go a little stale.

Tuna Salad, Chicken salad.

You can glop some on some Romaine, add some cubed cheese, onion, cukes, and tomatoes.

add crackers or croutons and call it dinner.

The trick with Tuna or Chicken salad is to flake it before you add the mayo.

Flake

Add mayo

Add onions

Add Lemon Squeeze

Add your relish (I use dill pickle juice instead)

Grapes, raisins, apples, or nuts where appropriate

Pepper liberally

Fold and done.

PS: Use solid white Albacore. Sure, it costs more per can, but it takes 3 cans of chunk light to equal 1 can of Solid White.

Chicken breasts, those have to be boiled ahead of time and chopped across the grain.

You can glop some on some Romaine, add some cubed cheese, onion, cukes, and tomatoes.

Flake

Add mayo

Add onions

Add Lemon Squeeze

Pepper liberally

Fold and done.

PS: Use solid white Albacore. Sure, it costs more per can, but it takes 3 cans of chunk light to equal 1 can of Solid White.

Chicken breasts, those have to be boiled ahead of time and chopped across the grain.

Both of these are delicious. I also love EGG SALAD with mustard and olives added. Daughter does too, but we get nothing but hate from son and husband for it....sigh.

Flake

Add mayo

Add onions

Add Lemon Squeeze

Pepper liberally

Fold and done.

Both of these are delicious. I also love EGG SALAD with mustard and olives added. Daughter does too, but we get nothing but hate from son and husband for it....sigh.

I forgot about that one. I ate that a lot when I was a young man just starting out.

Last time I made it, was because the eggs were getting old and something had to be done with them. Ended up giving the last 3rd to the critters.

Flake

Add mayo

Add onions

Add Lemon Squeeze

Pepper liberally

Fold and done.

I forgot about that one. I ate that a lot when I was a young man just starting out.

Last time I made it, was because the eggs were getting old and something had to be done with them. Ended up giving the last 3rd to the critters.

I just love it. Grew up on it. I also introduced hubby to German Potato Salad last year, which I made from scratch. It's not difficult, but just time-consuming. He didn't dislike it but was stymied. "It's not salad!" says he, "It's a casserole! It's hot!"

Well, I had to laugh at that, because he's right. But I still can't win him over to egg salad.

Forum List

Back