To Bring Up The Horror Again...

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
It was just announced on the evening news that this horrendous fire in the Smoky Mountains WAS set by two juveniles who have now been charged with arson ... and more charges may be coming. Two damned kids with nothing constructive to do with their lives set fires resulting in (so far) 14 deaths, almost 200 injured, some people still missing and unaccounted for, close to 2000 homes and businesses destroyed and almost 18,000 acres of National Park burned to the ground. There's a possibility of rain/mud/landslides, etc. with the heavy rain we're now getting.

There was nothing but anger in the voices of top prosecutors as to exploring every avenue of prosecuting these kids as adults and bringing every charge that can be legally brought against them.

Apparently, from what one arson inspector said (and he was not involved in this particular arson case) ... once arson has been established as a cause it's pretty simple to zero in on the culprits from statements made by people calling in. In this case, I think the kids were tracked down by their Facebook posts. Smart.

Apparently, from what one arson inspector said (and he was not involved in this particular arson case) ... once arson has been established as a cause it's pretty simple to zero in on the culprits from statements made by people calling in. In this case, I think the kids were tracked down by their Facebook posts. Smart.
I hope they like being tucked in at night during their stay in jail and then prison..

If under 18 or is it 21 its probably just juvenile for them and then out at 18 or 21 but I really have no idea ,

Yup teenaged juvie delinquents.

They are in deep doodoo now and have probably wrecked their own lives.

Question is will they be tried as adults and go to prison.

Their parents suck also.

All parents should teach their kids not to play with fire.

The ages were not given out nor were they identified. Actually, not much at all was given out except the prosecutors who were visibly and audibly upset indicated a lot was going to go into seeing if these two kids can be tried as adults. My guess would be they might be in their younger teens if a lot of thought and legal research is going into this, but we don't know at this point.

There have been juveniles in other places who have been tried as adults for doing a lot less than the mess these two have caused.

Hope they are tried as adults and are charged with murder. They set the fire and people died.

Their parents should be liable for damages.

This morning on national news, it was reported the kids were from TN but NOT from the affected area. Assume they may have been camping or something. It was also reported that juveniles tried as adults in TN could get 10-25 years in prison for a felony arson conviction and up to a $50,000 fine. Don't know if CBS lawyers/researchers came up with this info or what but it should be left to TN prosecutors to do the research and make sure they can go full throttle - particularly since the TN prosecutors have not revealed what other charges might be brought.

Was it deliberate arson...or was it two stupid kids that didn't know enough to make damn sure their campfire was COMPLETLY out?

Was it deliberate arson...or was it two stupid kids that didn't know enough to make damn sure their campfire was COMPLETLY out?

That's one of the questions we don't know at this point. To refer to my earlier post, apparently the CBS national news was correct as far as the penalties. One issue will be proving whether the fire was intentionally set or just two kids screwing around to see what would happen. It appears proving intent can be tough. I'm sure the press will do anything it can to get a story and push it.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but if the names of who was busted are not being given to protect them due to the fact that they are under age, I just have one question. If them people who lost everything weren't going to get protection, why should those who are busted be any different?

God bless you and those who lost everything always!!!

Holly

Jesus ... no official word yet from the TBI or prosecutor on status of the teens arrested for arson ... and the media has been remarkably silent. Apparently they are still looking at whether additional charges will be made and whether they will be charged as adults. However, some word has come out locally. The teens were from the county in which I live. They are still being held in Sevier County lock-up. They are said to be 17 and 15, both boys, and attend the high school just a couple miles down the road from where I live. Aside from what was said in our local paper the rumor mill is working pretty well. There's speculation the kids may have skipped school that day (due to the timing of the fire) and took a ride up to Gatlinburg - but who knows. Given the community standing of the parents, I'm not going to comment other than to say both kids were most likely raised a hell of a lot better than this, should have known better than to skip school (if that rumor is true) and God knows should have known better than to be setting fires. The parents are probably beyond shocked, devastated and incredibly embarrassed and beside themselves. This is probably as inconceivable to me as the mess in Gatlinburg has been.

Dolly Parton had a huge telethon with lots of top name performers and was able to raise millions which will go directly to the people affected by the fire. The pledge is $1,000 a month for 6 months for food, clothing, etc. so these people can get back on their feet. This is Parton's home and she's given so very, very much to better the lives of people here ... for all her fame and fortune, she's never forgotten her roots and she is well-loved around here.

^^^ I loved watching 27 Grammy award winner Alison Krauss during the show last night! She couldn't have done a more awesome job singing "A Living Prayer". :) :) :)

God bless you and her always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

Forum List

Back