Time to ban subways

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Time to ban subways before what appears to be a growing trend gets as out-of-hand as gun violence. For the second time in a month, a person was pushed to their death on the subway tracks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/nyregion/man-pushed-to-his-death-under-train-in-queens.html?_r=0

Father pushed to death under subway train was on tracks for '60 SECONDS' and nobody tried to help... as photographer who took THAT picture - One News Page

Even though a previous rash of subway killings resulted in legislation intended to prevent further incidents, we now see a resurgence. Obviously, we need to ban subway trains NOW, before even more carnage is visited upon the traveling public.

[QUOTEIn 1999, two very similar attacks — with mentally ill people pushing unsuspecting victims into the path of oncoming subway trains, one fatally — led to legislation giving families the right to demand court-ordered outpatient psychiatric treatment for their relatives. Known as Kendra’s Law, it permits state judges to order closely monitored outpatient treatment for seriously mentally ill people who have records of failing to take medication, and who have been frequently hospitalized or jailed or have exhibited violent behavior.][/QUOTE]

The rampant increase is subway killings absolutely calls for all subways anywhere in the world to be closed down in order to protect the general publis!!!!! :clap2:

Surely something can be done short of closing subways. How about a very high, chain-link fence between all waiting areas and the track. A gate or two that cannot be opened until the subway train is at a complete halt.

(The OP is serious here, right? Huh?)

Crazy subway lady caught...
:eusa_eh:
New York police arrest woman for subway 'hate crime' killing
29 December 2012 - Police in New York have arrested a woman in connection with the death of a man pushed in front of a subway train.
Prosecutors said Erika Menendez, 31, was charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime. She is alleged to have said that she hates Hindus and Muslims. The victim, 46-year-old Sunando Sen, originally came from India. Witnesses said he was standing on a platform at a Queens subway station when a woman shoved him on to the tracks. Mr Sen was a resident of Queens and ran a printing business on the Upper West Side. Prosecutors said in a statement that Ms Menendez, from the Bronx, admitted pushing the victim, saying: "I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up."

Queens District Attorney Richard A Brown said that, according to the charges, Ms Menendez was seen talking to herself while seated on a bench at the subway station and was also seen pacing on the platform and muttering to herself. "The defendant is accused of committing what is every subway commuter's worst nightmare - being suddenly and senselessly pushed into the path of an oncoming train," he said. "The victim was allegedly shoved from behind and had no chance to defend himself. Beyond that, the hateful remarks allegedly made by the defendant and which precipitated the defendant's actions can never be tolerated by a civilised society."

Fled the scene

Mr Sen's death on Thursday was the second such killing this month. Naeem Davis was charged with murder in early December after allegedly pushing a passenger to his death in the Times Square subway station at the beginning of December. New York's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, said such attacks were rare. "You can say it's only two out of the three or four million people who ride the subway every day, but two is two too many," he told a press conference. New York police spokesman Paul Browne said in a statement that investigations into the incidents were continuing.

BBC News - New York police arrest woman for subway 'hate crime' killing

See also:

Psychiatric test for suspect in NYC subway death
Dec 30,`12 -- A woman suspected in the death of an immigrant who was pushed off a New York City subway platform has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
Erika Menendez, 31, was arraigned Saturday night on a charge of murder as a hate crime. She had told police she has hated Muslims since Sept. 11 and thought the victim was one. Judge Gia Morris ordered that Menendez be held without bail and be given a mental health exam. Menendez is charged in the death of Sunando Sen, who was crushed by a train in Queens on Thursday night. Friends and co-workers said Sen, a 46-year-old Indian immigrant, was Hindu. "I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up," Menendez told police, according to the district attorney's office. "The defendant is accused of committing what is every subway commuter's worst nightmare," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said.

Menendez was incoherent at her arraignment in Queens criminal court, at one point laughing so hard that the judge told her defense lawyer, "You're going to have to have your client stop laughing." Menendez admitted shoving Sen, who was pushed from behind, authorities said. She was arrested after a tip by a passer-by who saw her on a street and thought she looked like the woman in a surveillance video released by police. A call to Menendez's attorney was not immediately returned Sunday.

Angel Luis Santiago, who used to work at the Queens building where Menendez's mother and stepfather live, said he was shocked by her arrest. "It surprised me what she did," he said. "She never acted that way." Menendez's next court appearance is scheduled for Jan. 14. Sen was the second man to die after being pushed in front of a New York City subway train this month. Ki-Suck Han was killed in a midtown Manhattan subway station on Dec. 3. A photo of Han clinging to the edge of the platform a split second before he was struck by a train was published on the front page of the New York Post, causing an uproar about whether the photographer, who was catching a train, or anyone else should have tried to help him.

More http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/stori...EATH?SITE=DCSAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Last edited:
I am outraged...
Where is Congress on this.
Diane Feinstein was on some of the talk shows today and not one friggin
peep from her on regulating the Subways as a weapon out of control....

Oh the humanity.

Prosecutors said Erika Menendez, 31, was charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime. She is alleged to have said that she hates Hindus and Muslims. The victim, 46-year-old Sunando Sen, originally came from India. Witnesses said he was standing on a platform at a Queens subway station when a woman shoved him on to the tracks. Mr Sen was a resident of Queens and ran a printing business on the Upper West Side. Prosecutors said in a statement that Ms Menendez, from the Bronx, admitted pushing the victim, saying: "I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I've been beating them up."

FYI, this is a CLASSIC example of a hate crime - a crime committed in whole or in part becuase of a bias against a particular class of people. In other words, the only reason this whacko pushed the guy in front of the subway train was because he was a Muslim (or was perceived by her to be a Muslim).

The rationale behind hate crime legislation is that hatred causing violence is a social problem of sufficient scope and persistence to require special measures by legislators and law enforcement to secure the safety of the groups targeted by hate crimes. One who can be moved to violence by hatred of a class of people presents greater a danger to society than one who merely hates an individual. If normal punishments are inadequate deterrents, then additional punishments may deter crimes motivated by hate. Additionally, hate crimes laws protect all groups, not just minorities and women.

FYI, this is a CLASSIC example of a hate crime - a crime committed in whole or in part becuase of a bias against a particular class of people. In other words, the only reason this whacko pushed the guy in front of the subway train was because he was a Muslim (or was perceived by her to be a Muslim).

The rationale behind hate crime legislation is that hatred causing violence is a social problem of sufficient scope and persistence to require special measures by legislators and law enforcement to secure the safety of the groups targeted by hate crimes. One who can be moved to violence by hatred of a class of people presents greater a danger to society than one who merely hates an individual. If normal punishments are inadequate deterrents, then additional punishments may deter crimes motivated by hate. Additionally, hate crimes laws protect all groups, not just minorities and women.

Now wait just a minute! There's a popular liberal mantra that's been going about for a while that suggests that punishment does not deter crime, that we need comprehensive rehabilitation in order to address criminal intent.

Forum List

Back