Time-saving Prep

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
If you don't already do this, I save overall time by chopping a couple bunches spring onions, two each of green, red, yellow and orange peppers, mixing them together in large bowl then packing them in gallon freezer bags. Makes it really easy to grab a handful or so to add to hash browns, omelets ... even meatloaf. One bag will usually last me at least a month or so.

Didja ever cut sweet potatoes up the day before cooking them?

I was just running a search for that.

I don't do my sweet potatoes the day before. I will refrigerate any left over and maybe slice cross-wise and fry for breakfast. I have a couple different ways to do casseroles. But my lazy kicks in most of the time if I'm just cooking for myself - put it in a baggy, nuke the sucker, slice it, add butter, brown sugar & cinnamon and eat it!!

Granny says if whilst ya preparin' beans...

... ya put some pineapple pieces in `em...

... it'll make ya play Hawaiian music.

I do this with leftover and excess onions and peppers, but having a frozen bag of cut onions and peppers stashed in the freezer is more affordable and convenient now that Dollar Tree carries them. Cost of a pepper alone. They are my emergency onions when my fresh ones turn or I have none left. Prefer the subtle flavor and soft texture in tuna salad, pizzas, hashbrowns, and eggs anyway.

Forum List

Back