I got invited to a pot luck, share your easy to make recipes

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
I don't want anything too time consuming, but something a little impressive because I am meeting some of these people for the first time. Any wow factor recipes you can share?

Simple (drained) can of corn, half can of rinsed off black beans, chopped red pepper, choped chunks of tomatoes, salt, small amount of celantro or parsley flakes, Cut chunks of Avacado, 2 limes squeezed on it to preserve the avacado and give it a fresh zest great taste. You can even grate the peel a little for added lime zest.
Serve with Tortilla scoop chips.

To save time, they do have cans of Corn, bean, & red pepper mixed medley, but they are tiny and hard to find in the can good isle.

I don't want anything too time consuming, but something a little impressive because I am meeting some of these people for the first time. Any wow factor recipes you can share?

I think this fits the wow factor!

60f047450ba9e160ffa6ac385e597896.jpg

Simple (drained) can of corn, half can of rinsed off black beans, chopped red pepper, choped chunks of tomatoes, salt, small amount of celantro or parsley flakes, Cut chunks of Avacado, 2 limes squeezed on it to preserve the avacado and give it a fresh zest great taste. You can even grate the peel a little for added lime zest.
Serve with Tortilla scoop chips.

To save time, they do have cans of Corn, bean, & red pepper mixed medley, but they are tiny and hard to find in the can good isle.
I made a good dip Saturday for a get together
Crab meat, artichokes, mayo, sour cream, pepperjack, salt and pepper
Mix it all together and bake it with more cheese on top.
I cut up some tortillas and baked them with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
Fuckin awesome!
I would bet substituting the mayo with plain nonfat yogurt would be just as good.

While I was developing this idea at the grocery store, I had another dip concoction I want to try.
Chicken, avocado, queso cheese and creole. Maybe some whipping cream or something too. Not sure how to "top it off" yet. I would want it to be a bit thinner. Especially when it starts cooling down.. and definitely do the tortillas the same. Man, those were good!
Dips are always a nice treat to take to meals.

Easy and good dip is chicken and buffalo sauce. Maybe top with some moz cheese or cheddar. That's it.

Depends on who will be there...but hot wings are a crowd pleaser everytime. And you can't get much easier than hot wings.
The sauce is simply 1 part butter to 3 parts Red Hot sauce.
Bake them in the oven...then toss with the sauce. Bingo!...guarantee your "pot" will be the first to disappear.

:lol: my friends grandmas gonna be there so I have to keep it g.

How old was she in the 60's? lol

I am not sure, I don't think she speaks english either. My friend said his family is real judgy they act nice but once your gone they gossip about how vanilla your food was :lol:

I am not sure, I don't think she speaks english either. My friend said his family is real judgy they act nice but once your gone they gossip about how vanilla your food was :lol:

No pressure there! lol

Hey, all the more reason to spike the food. People aren't so judgy when they're high. :)

No pressure there! lol

Hey, all the more reason to spike the food. People aren't so judgy when they're high. :)

His Grandma is a strict Catholic. She's from Mexico. I expect her to be judgy but I'm going to win her over damnit!

No pressure there! lol

His Grandma is a strict Catholic. She's from Mexico. I expect her to be judgy but I'm going to win her over damnit!

You could pull a Donald Trump and take taco bowls. lol

No pressure there! lol

Fuck that Chump Donald Trump:talktothehand:

No pressure there! lol

How about homemade chili rellenos? Yum!

No pressure there! lol

I bought these gold and red beets and my friend is coming over tonight were gonna try it out. She take night classes and is starting a new job working graveyards so she is up late and sleeps all day. Looks so good.

HaShev's recipe looks pretty simple and I may make it and the rellenos.

I didn't watch your video yet so maybe after I watch it I can decide. I have to make it first to see if I'm a failure before deciding. :lol:

30 Beet Dishes That'll Convince You To Try A New Recipe

slide_333307_4832140_free.jpg

No pressure there! lol

I bought these gold and red beets and my friend is coming over tonight were gonna try it out. She take night classes and is starting a new job working graveyards so she is up late and sleeps all day. Looks so good.

I didn't watch your video yet so maybe after I watch it I can decide. I have to make it first to see if I'm a failure before deciding. :lol:

Those look tasty. I might have to get that recipe from you.

The video I posted is of a woman cooking chili rellenos the correct way. I don't speak Spanish, so what I would do is just watch how she does it, then watch another video in English.

Chili rellenos and BBQ brisket were the two hardest food items I gave up when I quit eating meat. :(

Those look tasty. I might have to get that recipe from you.

The video I posted is of a woman cooking chili rellenos the correct way. I don't speak Spanish, so what I would do is just watch how she does it, then watch another video in English.

Chili rellenos and BBQ brisket were the two hardest food items I gave up when I quit eating meat. :(

I'm going to watch it right now Thank you :)

Easy and good dip is chicken and buffalo sauce. Maybe top with some moz cheese or cheddar. That's it.

I do that with chicken strips, hot sauce and blue cheese dressing, chopped onion cherry tomatoes fiesta cheese melted over pini noodles.
Good hot or cold.
The dip version like yours just pressure cooker seasoned pulled chicken with hot sauce and blue cheese dressing and chopped onion.

Thanks for the ideas and recipes!

Potlucks are rife with danger.

I didn't know this until adulthood...our family potlucks were amazing, my mom was one of five sisters, and they could all cook. You never heaped up a dish of something only to find it was inedible. Or pulled an 18 inch blond hair out of your mouth full of tres leches.

There's a corn casserole that uses a couple of jiffy corn bread mix, creamed and regular corn, cheese, butter, milk and a couple of seasonings that I absolutely love.

Homemade rolls go over well.

So does cake that you make, even with a mix. Everybody loves cake.

I took a caprese salad to a potluck wedding reception last summer...i made two big platters and people gobbled it up. Mozzarella slices, tomato slices, basil...sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil and a balsamic vinegar reduction....amazing, and beautiful.

Forum List

Back